Silly commuting racing

Comments

• stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    cjcp wrote:
    It was tongue-in-cheek. I often marvel at the speed at which those ickle Bromptons cut through the air.
    Well, you have to with their puny gearing.....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Greg66 wrote:
    Was it my imagination, or was the Invisible Wall In The Road by Millbank particularly unpleasant last night? Getting half way home to find I'd been pushing the 15 sprocket instead of the 16 didn't help.

Jeez I'm glad it's not just me.....

So - You slip by Parliament and MI6 you come up the little rise to the roundabout by the bridge, slip down the wee slope to get on the Millnabk stretch - gravity assisted you spool up the gears and....KABOOM - just by where the coaches park and halfway to the Tate It all get's suddenly hard to take, the bottom lip starts to quiver and the air is filled with a rattle of chains bouncing up cassettes and hearts braking....

The wind tunnel effect is a real pain in the shorts. Of course for the experienced gamer it offers an ideal opportunity to let the guy who just wafted by as you left the roundabout bang his head against the wind wall for a minute before you gather your cojones, sort out your "I'm not trying face" and ease on by.....

I have very few morals on that particular stretch of road.

Also I'm quiet enjoying the traffic merging just after the Big Vauxhall bridge junction. Spool up a big gear bag a car's length worth of road and get into the death star canyon....
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg T wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Was it my imagination, or was the Invisible Wall In The Road by Millbank particularly unpleasant last night? Getting half way home to find I'd been pushing the 15 sprocket instead of the 16 didn't help.

Jeez I'm glad it's not just me.....

So - You slip by Parliament and MI6 you come up the little rise to the roundabout by the bridge, slip down the wee slope to get on the Millnabk stretch - gravity assisted you spool up the gears and....KABOOM - just by where the coaches park and halfway to the Tate It all get's suddenly hard to take, the bottom lip starts to quiver and the air is filled with a rattle of chains bouncing up cassettes and hearts braking....

The wind tunnel effect is a real pain in the shorts. Of course for the experienced gamer it offers an ideal opportunity to let the guy who just wafted by as you left the roundabout bang his head against the wind wall for a minute before you gather your cojones, sort out your "I'm not trying face" and ease on by.....
    I have very few morals on that particular stretch of road.

Also I'm quiet enjoying the traffic merging just after the Big Vauxhall bridge junction. Spool up a big gear bag a car's length worth of road and get into the death star canyon....

It sorts the wheat from the chaff, just like Putney Bridge can do, and the long stretch after Chelsea Bridge.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T
    cjcp wrote:
    It sorts the wheat from the chaff, just like Putney Bridge can do, and the long stretch after Chelsea Bridge.

Ah yes! the Time Trial section......

If the traffic is running you can get a proper long run along there with plenty of room to run down your mark...

The Yin to this Yang is of coursethe fact that you have to be laying down some wattage to make sure that the dogs on your scent behind you don't get within striking range.

Many is the windy night (and doesn't it blow down that stretch) that I've been on my own grinding out the distance hoping beyond hope I'm going to make it to the Chelsea garage before I pop and prolapse.....

The danger is that group of roadies working together (or more likely just tucked in behind some rabid meat head) hum by you when you are weakened......

I turn my spidey senses up to 11 - it's ambush territory......

• Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Well after my first commute by bike in about 2 weeks today I can report it was pretty poor.
    I thought I was in luck as I turned out my road I saw what appeared to be a hairy roadie, in full lycra heading down the road. I started to pursue him knowing that there are lights aheadm but alas he just cruised straight through the red and in a different direction to me!

For the rest of the 13 mile ride I didn't even see anyone who could be considered fair game, but even using LCN 74 my only overtakes where a dad with his 4 or 5 year old daughter behind on her bike. I couldn't honestly count this without feeling like some low life.

There are however many bikes in the bike rack here, not that any suggest they have worthy pilots as most are shoppers or halford brought hybrids! Guess I'll have to see what the ride home brings :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Greg T wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Ah yes! the Time Trial section......

If the traffic is running you can get a proper long run along there with plenty of room to run down your mark...

I usually peel off at Chelsea Bridge (turn onto the bridge, out of the saddle, push until the far support, quads-a-screaming) because of the traffic clog at the AB approach.

However ... when I have been on it, I've noticed that there's a strip of uneven resurfacing where one would normally ride. So the only option is to hug the kerb, nice and tight, on the old surface. Reminds me of some of my bolder attacks on the Champs Elysee, on the last day of the Tour ... hugging the paving stones to avoid the cobbles ... the merciless chase of the peleton in full fury ...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Anyone else see Greg66's post as a Vietnam flashback?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Anyone else see Greg66's post as a Vietnam flashback?

he had a bad prawn noodle at Phat Phucs in Chelsea and still wakes up in a cold sweat some nights...

How many Vietnam vets does it take to change a light bulb?
    Don't know...
    No man! And you never will, because you weren't there!!
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • Greg T
    I went to the 'Nam

Chelten'nam

It was hell....

Well - it's 1530hrs and I can still see out of the window and no wind to speak of. I think that the Game Gods are providing a suitable arena for the evening's riding......

Good job I'm not spanked then.......

So On Monday night I'm struggling along with a head wind and am two miles from home. A roadie pulls up - you know the type, +40, thin as a rake, subtle kit, looks knotted and lithe....

The game has made me chatty so I say to him

"Hope you are suffering too"

Deadpan he replies "No. Are you?"

"No" I lie eyes darting furtively....

He had me all ends up in light chat gaming.....

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I have a 2007 Astana Jersey - what's the pointage there? Surely my carefree acceptance of massive drug use must make me more scalpworthy?
  • victor ludorum
    victor ludorum Posts: 310
    edited July 2008
    I had an unusually long commute today, as I had to take a few work related stops in before my train to Cambridge.

Disappointingly few bikes about on the route though. I owned a scooter early doors on the way towards Hammersmith, but he was overloaded with luggage and the two stroke on it was complaining a bit, he actually tried to tuck in and draft me before I dropped him like a towel with a skidmark on...

Going over Putney Bridge and the long drag along Putney Bridge Road, but there was nothing doing. All the way I only came across one guy who RLJed in front of me, but when I caught him up he was on a slicked hybrid with panniers, a dayglo tabard and a sub ten quid lid - His soul was a poor and timourous thing, I slipped by and didn't even feel it.

I did have a minor tussle with a luggageless lady-shaver in Etxe Ondo lycra riding an Airnimal Chameleon Ultra (he had an Ultegra groupset). We swapped scalps a couple of times but couldn't split it decisively, we parted at a T-junction. On the one hand, he was on a folder, but on the other it was a lightweight, larger-than-normal-for-a-folder wheeled, exotic and quite speedy. He was also t-rex thighed. But it was still a folder... Can I have an FCN adjudication?

On the way back I wasn't watching my six and got my milk-white ass churned to butter by a guy on a LeMond Fillmore. He came up on his silent SS and dropped me cold, I didn't even have time to think about following before he left me in traffic. Allowing for adjusters he was higher up the food chain than me, but that's no excuse - I got sloppy and scalps were lost. :(
    (John F Kennedy)

• Greg T wrote:
    The game has made me chatty so I say to him

"Hope you are suffering too"

Deadpan he replies "No. Are you?"

"No" I lie eyes darting furtively....

He had me all ends up in light chat gaming.....

I'm sorry, but he made you his beeyotch there, conversationally speaking...
    (John F Kennedy)

• Greg T
    I His soul was a poor and timourous thing, I slipped by without feeling a thing.

"moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain" Batty in Bladerunner

I did have a minor tussle with a luggageless lady-shaver in Etxe Ondo lycra riding an Airnimal Chameleon Ultra (he had an Ultegra groupset). We swapped scalps a couple of times but couldn't split it decisively, we parted at a T-junction. On the one hand, he was on a folder, but on the other it was a lightweight, larger-than-normal-for-a-folder wheeled, exotic and quite speedy. He was also t-rex thighed. But it was still a folder... Can I have an FCN adjudication?
    [/quote]

There are some mega dark horse bizarre stiff geared tiny wheeled folder lurkers out there. I've been embaressed myself once or twice.....

I think that this has got to be you "honesty" call - what does the internal ego-meter tell you?

As for your buttering
    milk-white ass churned to butter
    I intend to rip off that saying and pass it off as my own in the near future.

As to your pain well you can wear the "I got panned" hat for while as it's a bit tight for my head and the other kids at school are laughing at me....[/quote]

• Greg T
    Greg T wrote:
    I His soul was a poor and timourous thing, I slipped by without feeling a thing.

There are some mega dark horse bizarre stiff geared tiny wheeled folder lurkers out there. I've been embaressed myself once or twice.....

I think that this has got to be you "honesty" call - what does the internal ego-meter tell you?

As for your buttering

As to your pain well you can wear the "I got panned" hat for while as it's a bit tight for my head and the other kids at school are laughing at me....
    VL wrote:
    'm sorry, but he made you his beeyotch there, conversationally speaking...

You don't need to tell me.... I got my arse handed to me large......

He was the better man at the lights.

I'd have done him on the road but stood stock still as the lights went green and was still standing there when they were backon red before shouting at the now empty road

"Yeah! Well you wear glasses and smell like wee four eyes!"

• Greg T
    Greg T wrote:

As for your buttering

As to your pain well you can wear the "I got panned" hat for while as it's a bit tight for my head and the other kids at school are laughing at me....
    VL wrote:
    'm sorry, but he made you his beeyotch there, conversationally speaking...

You don't need to tell me.... I got my arse handed to me large......

He was the better man at the lights.

I'd have done him on the road but stood stock still as the lights went green and was still standing there when they were backon red before shouting at the now empty road

"Yeah! Well you wear glasses and smell like wee four eyes!"

• Greg T wrote:

The fact that I felt he was worth scalping implies that he was a worthy foe. I quite like the airnimals (I considered getting one for my commute before I realised that I could take a full sized bike on the Cambridge train) and had he been on a 'proper' road bike he'd have been around an FCN -1, so I feel comfortable viewing it as an honourable draw - especially as he spent some of the time drafting me. Plus, I had a heavy bag with laptop (this is an excuse).

I just wondered if the general feeling on the thread was that his bike was up to scratch.
    (John F Kennedy)

• Greg T
    It must have been one of these

http://www.airnimalfoldingbikes.com/ChamUltra.php

ModelsUltra_Layout_r3_c4.jpg

That looks to me like a serious bit of kit and well up the food chain.....

28mm tyres, ultegra kit......

I'd say that's lust sub hairy roadie - with all his kit / no luggage etc that's singlie territory....

• 2wheelzgood
    2wheelzgood Posts: 373
    it's an abomination.. too racey for a folder, to tiny wheels for a racer.. but for trying to be both it should have all the FCN hanicaps of both.. something like a ladyshaver or even fixed for trying to be all things to all men.. well commuters who fear riding the whole way ona real bike!
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • cjcp
    At the end of the day a folding bike is a folding bike is a folding bike.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:

That was kind of my fear. They do mention that some guy took bronze medal at the world triathlon championships riding one - but if he'd been on a proper bike he might have had gold...

Like I say, I reckon with all the adjusters taken into account, we were just about even so a no score draw.
    (John F Kennedy)

• cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

That was kind of my fear. They do mention that some guy took bronze medal at the world triathlon championships riding one - but if he'd been on a proper bike he might have had gold...

Like I say, I reckon with all the adjusters taken into account, we were just about even so a no score draw.

By drafting you, he admitted that he was a weaker member of our species. In my book, you don't draft. If you're stronger, you just get on with the business of passing. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • meanwhile
    meanwhile Posts: 392
    Greg T wrote:
    It must have been one of these

http://www.airnimalfoldingbikes.com/ChamUltra.php

ModelsUltra_Layout_r3_c4.jpg

That looks to me like a serious bit of kit and well up the food chain.....

28mm tyres, ultegra kit......

Want! Want one bad! But the moment I carry laptop and a full water bottle I'd be over the weight limit. Well, back to my Roadrat lust.
  • meanwhile
    meanwhile Posts: 392
    cjcp wrote:

Or maybe not. Lot of advantages to small wheels and road-tuned suspension.
  • Do you think if this was a forum for pedestrians we would (besides occasionally, in rare lucid moments, asking ourselves why on earth such a forum existed and what we were doing using it) design a game around how many people we passed on our walk to the station in the morning?

I can see it already - you'd have to allow for what sort of shoes the person was wearing:
    ** trainers = hairy roadies
    ** normal shoes = hybrid
    ** stilettos = folders
    ** using their knuckles to drag themselves along pathetically on a skateboard = Halfords £60 full suspension MTB

There might be + or - depending on whether the person was wearing a suit or a trackie.

In the midst of all this would be interspersed posts from people saying they'd just taken up walking and asking what sort of shoes should they buy. We'd all have our favourites - the trainer gang would be espousing the joys of Nike or Adidas, some of the ladies would be insisting on Jimmy Choos.

You see this isn't just a game, it's metaphor for life itself. :?

On that note, life beckons ... although my commute is a bit lonely with few scalps to be had (or scalpers, thankfully, I'm such a coward so it gives me an excuse); just myself to challenge up Camberwell Grove - I long for the cameraderie of the Embankment peloton.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • D
    You see this isn't just a game, it's metaphor for life itself. :?

'To say that the race is the metaphor for life is to miss the point. The race is everything.
    It obliterates whatever isn't racing. Life is the metaphor for the race.'
    (Donald Antrim)
    (John F Kennedy)

• greg66_tri_v2.0

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Greg66 wrote:

On the subject of theme tunes, I think this might be another contender:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA7dGlLLjOQ

A bit cheesy, and whilst I quite like the one you suggested there's to many references to driving, whereas I feel I ride my bike hard, not drive it hard :-) Good video tho :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    Greg T wrote:
    Well - it's 1530hrs and I can still see out of the window and no wind to speak of. I think that the Game Gods are providing a suitable arena for the evening's riding......

I don't know which window you were looking out of, but I think you ought to make your peace with the gods of wind by sacrificing a lamb or something. :) It was blowing last night.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T
    Nounhubris

Excessive pride, presumption or arrogance (originally toward the gods).

Well there we go then......
    Greg T wrote:
    Of course for the experienced gamer it offers an ideal opportunity to let the guy who just wafted by as you left the roundabout bang his head against the wind wall for a minute before you gather your cojones, sort out your "I'm not trying face" and ease on by.....

So then - Was I the only one to find a ride home westwards last night a little "stiff"?

Fit looking dude (running shorts T shirt) goes by as I'm breaking for the Parliament Sq right hander and traffic holds me up until the wind tunnel...

Here we go think I - I'll do him on the pain travelator as by now he''s leading off a train of MTBs and Hybrids.

So there he is in the wind, leaing down over his flats to "tuck" in.

I pull up a big gear sit as as high as I can and doing my best Mary Poppins impression cruise by - into the teeth of a gale......

SO that goes well then....

The rest of the embankment becomes a bit of chore however as I realise that I'm "spanked ragged" by a week in the trenches and am hanging out and proper slow.

DANGER!

Being slow on this stretch will get you done - I have to push on and grim it out.

The pain goes on.....

10 miles later I'm doing 11 mph on the road up to my house wondering if it's sweat or tears on my glasses.

This morning was "active recovery" didn't get done but let two singlies and a shaved like a lady roadie go by when previously I wopuld have done 'em..

• greg66_tri_v2.0
    I'm claiming this as a win.

Took a different route in this morning. In the one way system south of Battersea and Albert Bridges, I spy a huge hairy roady. He's on a Serotta and wearing the rainbow bands on white - A WORLD CHAMPION'S JERSEY. Ballsy. Very ballsy.

I'm in a hurry and gaining. We take a right hander and I overshoot his rear wheel slightly. Can't pass on the left, so I dab the brakes, flick across behind him and take him. Job done.

Flick left onto the approach to Albert Bridge. Head down, accelerate to 43 and hold it. No point overdoing it. Just hold it at cruising speed.

VW polo eases past and so does the World Champion. Probably no more than 2 or 3 k faster. Within me if I want to step it up. But he's obviously in the mood. Hmm. Then I realise: he's drafting off the bloody Polo!

I step it up a notch, and we hit the lights before the 8ridge together, but I have the momentum. I lead through the width barrier onto the bridge.

It's an incline. Not much of one, but an incline. He's big - 6'4, maybe more. Hammer time. Make him pay for his size. Make him weep for being tall.

Head down and drive. If he comes by me now, it's a fair scalp. Battle has been joined. We both know the score.

I'm half expecting him to come past, but it never happens. We get to the lights at the north side and they're red. I roll to a stop. I'm doing all my breathing tricks to stop my ribs moving. It's partially successful. I think.

And there's no sign of him. Then he rolls up, 10, maybe 15 seconds later, breathing hard. I think he might have stopped to throw up on the bridge.

It's not a slaughter, and if we're heading the same way off these lights I'm going to find out what's beyond the red zone.

Lights change. He goes straight on. I go right, just like always.

I claim that as a win.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A