Silly commuting racing

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Me, nice clear autumnal day so I hops on the Pinarello Prince, full Record carbon and Zipps, Off I trot overtaking punters left right and centre.

On the way back home from Leeds I pull up next to a ratter, a real old thing with canti brakes. Odd I thought, but not much more. The lights changed and I set off ahead of the lad on the ratter. 1 minute later he came past me as if he had a rocket up his ars*. I tried desperately to sit on his wheel but ended up blowing and sweating like a glassblower's ars*.

At the next lights I caught up and managed to look at the rider. Mr Jebb smiled at me in acknowledgement and promptly set off again as if he had been stapled to a Porsche.

Moral - Fat punters should never think you are as good as thier ride!!

Jesus. That's actually pretty cool. Full marks for trying to keep up!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    An otherwise lovely (but cold - who the hell turned off the heating all of a sudden?) ride, spoilt by switching off and getting scalped at the start of Blackfriars tunnel.

Passed this chap on a white Bianchi on the approach to Blackfriars turn off. Stopped at the lights and this blonde-haired woman on a Condor went through a red light - seen her do this before - she's a serial RLJer and it winds me up because I've seen her do it before with peds around and it's just poor form. Anyway, this just narked me and I didn't set off at any great pace, so really didn't make use of the slope for the run up to the tunnel and the chap on the Bianchi flew by me. Chapeau, sir.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • T'was a gorgeous commute in this morning, although the days of the summer mitts may be numbered...cold fingers. I have to admit I was scalped by a fellow female in Hyde Park while I was looking at all the pretty colours. Never mind.

Darren (Knight) you have PM so we don't bore everyone talking about filming stuff.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    CJ, where's the second part of your post where you MTFUed, chased him down, roared past him leaving his skull dripping and exposed? That's still to come, right?
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:
    Where's the second part of your post where you MTFUed, chased him down, roared past him leaving his skull dripping and exposed? That's still to come, right?

Er, not really. :oops:

I confess that I didn't put the power down. I closed on him because he was trying (still a good effort, mind) and was tiring - I saw his breathing as he turned up into the bike path onto Cannon Street. Actually, the problem with chasing someone who's moving some through the tunnel is that (a) you've got to negotiate those wretched man hole covers and red lines after the tunnel approaching the lights, very possibly at speed, and (b) slow down for the bike path turning, when you're not sure if the rider you're scalping will do the same or go straight on at speed, and it's not the sort of turning where you want the chap behind you having to take evasive action. Another bit of Embankment, then I'd chase, but not that bit.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    This is CJ we're talking about, in his case past experience is an indicator of future performance :P
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • knight2k
    knight2k Posts: 119
    I think I was the only one on my bike this morning in Chesham (as usual) which was a shame as I was riding the Lemond Racing Snake, which cruises nicely at 40kmh on the flat, and hoping to scalp good.

Corr that was a bit chilly. Although I got to try out my new NW knee warmers - very satisfied, and the ladies in the office concurred too!

TN have replied to PM.
  • I passed a chap on a skateboard, well he was on a skateboard and i was pedalling, do i get points for this?
  • What a lovely day!

Biondino, I am alive :D and warmed up again about halfway home... brrr... great fun!

I got out on the road today, late for work, and even before Acton where I usually pick up some roadies a guy on a fixed trundled past me at some lights.

His bike was white with red writing, not entirely sure what it said.

And then, out of nowhere, a roadie in full matching Bianchi kit on a specialized bike with those wiggly forks like the Prince...

There was a LOT of not racing through the traffic, nobody going overly fast, but definitely some competitive filtering, with me hanging back a little, as breathing in and out and having intact bones are hobbies of mine. And I knew what was coming.

Just before the railway bridge, a set of lights for roadworks. Fixie guy doing a really good trackstand, specialized guy looking flighty... no specialized guy... don't go... but he did, off down a side road. Booooooooooooo.

And I look in front, and fixed guy's gone before the green! Bah! And blimey, a scooter has followed him! And the rest of us law-aboders are off.

I love this stretch of road, slight downhill off the lights allows me to spin up to a good (for me) RPM, and then a slight uphill takes out the weaker rider.

And there is fixed man, out in the open. A slower bike behind me is holding up the traffic, I put the hammer down and really get up some speed, comupter reads 26 mph when I glance down, and I'm catching up to him like nobody's business...

Must... look... nonchalant.....

And BAM! I'm past him like he's stopping.

But the lights are red about 500m further up, so I come to a halt, and manage to get my breathing under control by the time he pulls alongside me. Just enough for me to say 'nice bike'.

He turned left. Game over...

:twisted: :twisted:

I'm back in the game.
  • I find the competitive filtering a little frustrating, because I too hang back because I don't like taking risks. I'm more daring than I was, but nowhere near like some of the mad stuff you see going on. I really feel like telling off some of the ones who sidle up the side of lorries etc, as they could lose their lives doing that one day.

Having intact bones is not to be underestimated; the pain of my broken elbow in Feb is fresh in my mind...
  • And there is fixed man, out in the open. A slower bike behind me is holding up the traffic, I put the hammer down and really get up some speed, comupter reads 26 mph when I glance down, and I'm catching up to him like nobody's business...

Good form LiT. But may i ask, and this applies to everyone, do you really take any satisfaction in scalping a SS/FG if you have to change gears? (And I know you are on a bowery LiT).

IMO, its the same pleasure as using both arms to beat someone in arm wrestling....
    The Magic Man...now you see me...now you don't...

Fixie Suit Spds & wrap arounds FCN 3
    Racer FCN 2
  • And there is fixed man, out in the open. A slower bike behind me is holding up the traffic, I put the hammer down and really get up some speed, comupter reads 26 mph when I glance down, and I'm catching up to him like nobody's business...

Good form LiT. But may i ask, and this applies to everyone, do you really take any satisfaction in scalping a SS/FG if you have to change gears? (And I know you are on a bowery LiT).

IMO, its the same pleasure as using both arms to beat someone in arm wrestling....

If I am overtaking and I hear them changing gears, they are CHEATERS who have just realised they are TOO SLOW and need to MTFU or hand over their bike.

IMO, I think anyone on a geared roadie who gets overtaken by a fixed/SS needs to take a long hard look in the mirror and think about what they've done.
  • May I also suggest that roadies stay in something less that about 75" when they challenge a fixie, then you can really bask in your glory....

Racer FCN 2
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I find the competitive filtering a little frustrating, because I too hang back because I don't like taking risks...

Filtering is non gaming territory and no mistaking.

No honour is gained or lost when dodging traffic / braking for lights / any number of other subtle get out clauses.....

The first rule of the game is keep well and safe, it's better to nod away a possible scalp when you are balancing the odds than take the punt and end up squished.

There are always more days to play and more fun to be had if you are on the bike......
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • If I am overtaking and I hear them changing gears, they are CHEATERS who have just realised they are TOO SLOW and need to MTFU or hand over their bike.

IMO, I think anyone on a geared roadie who gets overtaken by a fixed/SS needs to take a long hard look in the mirror and think about what they've done.

LiT I like your style. Fixies Rule... :D

Racer FCN 2
  • Fixies dont rule.

Pure, simplicity, low maintenance...bollocks.

Not only would a fixie not pass me, no one passes me...!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • Greg T
    Not only would a fixie not pass me, no one passes me...!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I would Moulinex your milky white ass to butter (attrib someone else - I can't remember - I'm getting old, thanks though).

I've got a 17 cog in the LBS for fitting this weekend, my step wise migration to uber gearing/cadence has begun.

• Fixies dont rule.

Red rag to a bull......... I'm the bull in this metaphor.

Where do you ride? I think a detour may be in order...

I note you don't post your location........ Scared? :twisted:
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I can see some Friday night drag racing coming on from the Morpeth up the Embankment and back! I know that breaches the "its not a race" but in this case, it is a race :twisted:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    First commute on the Giant today but alas nothing worth scalping - passed a couple of ASDA full suspension MTBs making more noise than a sackfull of rats - lubrication seems to be just a collection of syllables to these guys - did spot a couple of roadies and a guys on a Boardman but too late this am - might have to revise my timing
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    "SCR"...I see now, it's all clear to me. There's a bunch of commies out there who cos they cycle 2 miles to work think they're the beez neez. Right my friends it is time for you learn you lesson. :shock:

I've tried to plan a route getting to work via the train for part of the way so as to avoid the A40/Uxbridge Road and it hasn't worked out so on Sunday I'm out exploring the routes into work and then it's gonna be 31 miles each way during which some commies are gonna get dropped time and again. 8) I look forward to seeing you all out there :wink:
  • Greg T
    Harry B wrote:
    Right my friends it is time for you learn you lesson. :shock:

Is this a speaky grammar learny lesson?

31 miles each way.

That's a death march.......

I'd take some sandwiches and perhaps a flask, maybe a sleeping bag.

• Greg T wrote:
    Harry B wrote:
    Right my friends it is time for you learn you lesson. :shock:

Is this a speaky grammar learny lesson?

31 miles each way.

That's a death march.......

I'd take some sandwiches and perhaps a flask, maybe a sleeping bag.

You no be so mean Greg! Some person no speak english so good like you!

They ride bike very fast for 62 mile every day? I think stamina become issue and they very viable scalpy target.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    LiT: Good work, keep it up! Not that we have come to expect anything much less from our original lady gamer :-) Also changing gears as you pass someone is poor form and reeks of effort. The true gamer will ensure they are in the correct gear as they are assessing their prey, ensuring that when the times comes to put the hammer down the only noise they hear is the ripping noise as you remove their scalp and fly off into the distance :-)

HB: 31 miles EACH BLOOMING WAY - You sir are certifiable :-) Not that I wouldn't like a longer commute, after all more commuting = more chances for not racing :wink:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Fighting talk eh!? eh!? eh?!

You know where I am. Capital City. The Capital City!!! You wouldnae get up the ramp at Waverley Station...!!

I wont waste my time with you Greg T - you said it yourself. Your getting old. Take a rest Old Greg, ya hermaphroditic merman. 'Im Old Greg, I gotta Mangina' You need a special saddle for that?

:shock: :lol: :shock:
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
  • cjcp
    Fighting talk eh!? eh!? eh?!

You know where I am. Capital City. The Capital City!!! You wouldnae get up the ramp at Waverley Station...!!

I wont waste my time with you Greg T - you said it yourself. Your getting old. Take a rest Old Greg, ya hermaphroditic merman. 'Im Old Greg, I gotta Mangina' You need a special saddle for that?

May be we should have a Home Nations Smackdown?

UPL - he's feeling feisty after he overtook a scooter which must have been running out of petrol.

<says the man standing on some fairly shaky ground>
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Fighting talk eh!? eh!? eh?!

May be we should have a Home Nations Smackdown?

UPL - he's feeling feisty after he overtook a scooter which must have been running out of petrol.

<says the man standing on some fairly shaky ground>

I think probably 'ran' out of petrol...
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
  • Fixies dont rule.

Not only would a fixie not pass me, no one passes me...!!!

Brave words Papal. I am only sorry I will not be around to feed them to you. Please share your route though, I am sure others are about to learn you...

Racer FCN 2
  • My routes been posted, its the one with the 25% climb on bike hike, you know, the one that goes round the valcano? Always ready!

:wink:
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
  • My routes been posted, its the one with the 25% climb on bike hike, you know, the one that goes round the valcano? Always ready!

*sits and considers changing his career back to the city...muhahaaah muhaaaahh MUHAHAAAAAAHHHAAA* :twisted:

Racer FCN 2