Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Its the romance of all those falling leaves :)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Never mind falling leaves, I once got hit by a collie - now that really stung
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    As for contacts I have only just got new glasses and I'm not sure I quite like the idea of paying out each month for them! Guess I'll just have to MTFU and wipe em more often or learn to ride blind :-D

I'm tremendously short sighted. So when we met I did wonder about the whole glasses thing. One day after Freewheel I tried commuting in my glasses to see if I could still do it. For so many, many reasons just pay £15 - £25 a month on contacts.

I know contact lenses can be expensive and times are hard, what with the credit crunch and all. Though IMO I think contacts lenses (if you need them to see properly) all year round are nearly as important as a helmet.

Here are some of the conclusion I came as benefits for wearing contact lenses:

- In the summer you can wear proper actual sun glasses/wrap arounds on a bike.

- In the winter rain doesn't affect you as much.

- Depending of how the lenses are shaped it can direct wind and debris into the side of your eyes.

- Your sweat and general stuff from the road will actually corrode the nose pads and lens coating far quicker (all lenses should have anti-reflection, anti-scratch coating). The reduced longevity of the glasses will ultimately rack up in costs for replacements. - My glasses are about £300 with discout a time (due to the lenses I get).

- Deris from the road could potentionally scratch of damage the lenses - given the expense of my lenses I don't like to see them scratched or even run the risk of being scratched.

- If you crash with a metal frame designed not to bend or flex, its gonna hurt - there not the same as wrap arounds.

- Wrap arounds (worn with contact lenses) are better for riding at speed and don't bounce on your nose due to bumps and jolts. Wrap arounds also are designed to deflect wind and completely sheild the eye from wind/debris. I found that my glasses encouraged the wind and debris into my eyes.

Contact lenses. Its the future.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Jay dubbleU
    I have a problem with contact lenses - I forget their in and sleep in them - man that is really painful the following morning plus your eyes water FOREVER
  • I'm also rather blind without specs but the cost of daily lenses does put me off wearing them every single day (astigmatism means I need toric lenses that are more expensive than the usual), and also with the amount of screen work I do I am not that keen on wearing them for work all the time. So I wear contacts for longer rides, but not always for work.

Anyone ever tried those continuous wear ones? I'm not sure they'd suit me but I got curious after reading some glowing reviews.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    You need bl00dy good eyes to see through my glasses.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Anyone ever tried those continuous wear ones? I'm not sure they'd suit me but I got curious after reading some glowing reviews.

my wife has tried them. I got scared sh**less the first morning after she put them on.

I was rudely awoken by a "i can SEE!" squeal of delight!

they DO work and she found them comfortable, but found wearing her glasses was more convenient in her job (her eyes get dry quickly)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266

Contact lenses.......

Listen you genetically compromised speccy wang eyed eejuts, I'm all for water cooler chat and all but I've not seen a decent ring gag in pages and unless someone's going to post a killer image of VP in glasses then this needs to be crimped off right now...

Hang on

Vicky+Pendleton.jpg

That's better
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • I have cycled in galsses for years, I have noticed none of the above problems. I cant get contacts due to the shape of my balls.
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    edited October 2008
    Biggest difference it with contacts is there is NO misting up or sweat running down them....Just doesn't happen

Oh and now it's cold, going from a cold outside to a warm toasty pub I no longer have the: bugger I can't see, wipe glasses, "what do you want mate" "dunno I can't see, mate" experience when we go from pub to pub on a night out.

But it's the other times, like going blind when I open the oven or drain the pasta...just little things but they make such a difference.

As to cost, get them online, get dailies then there's no cleaning to worry about, and you can take em out in bed and leave em to dry up and shrivel...like the scalps on the way home

You can also check out the opposition, work out their FCN and also see their wheels in your peripheral vision then put the hammer down - just to keep the thread in the spirit of SCR :wink:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Greg T
    I have cycled in galsses for years, I have noticed none of the above problems. I cant get contacts due to the shape of my balls.

We are back and cooking on GAS!

Vive la entendre

• Well if we are going to go there we may as well do it properly... nice bike :D

[/img]http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/04_01/penglamMOS0504_468x731.jpg
    The Magic Man...now you see me...now you don't...

Fixie Suit Spds & wrap arounds FCN 3
    Racer FCN 2
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Jaysus what did I start :-) Anyhow my bro has switched over to contacts and he seems to get along quite well with them. He's started cycling recently and takes part in various other sports which I'm not sure he would have tried with his glasses on!

GT - Cheers for the pic, she sure has that specs appeal thing going on......

DDD - I'm assuming you had your contacts in for the FW? If so how comes it's the guy in the glasses who can get around without wiping out little children :-P
    Besides wrap-arounds would incur an FCN penatly.........
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Doh!! Why wont my image display?

penglamMOS0504_468x731.jpg

Racer FCN 2
  • Greg T
    Are those netto bars?

• Bassjunkieuk
    edited October 2008
    Well if we are going to go there we may as well do it properly... nice bike :D

[/img]http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/04_01/penglamMOS0504_468x731.jpg

Indeed....

penglamMOS0504_468x731.jpg

Those img tags can be a bugger :-)

EDIT: You fixed it as I was posting this :-) Ho hum, 2 VP's are better then one!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Greg T wrote:
    Are those netto bars?

There's a bike in the picture :shock:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Thanks Bassjunkie. If that is not enough to make you want to ride a fixie I am not sure what will :wink:

Racer FCN 2
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Thanks Bassjunkie. If that is not enough to make you want to ride a fixie I am not sure what will :wink:

The fixie wasn't the first thing I wanted to ride in that pic :P
    Having said that I wouldn't mind trying the bike just to see how it's geared and what kinda speed I could reach!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Greg T wrote:
    Are those netto bars?

Maybe if you'd had contacts in at FW you might have seen that the Gladiator wasn't VP as you sprinted towards her!!! :wink:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Greg T wrote:
    I have cycled in galsses for years, I have noticed none of the above problems. I cant get contacts due to the shape of my balls.

We are back and cooking on GAS!

Vive la entendre

:wink:
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • I am thinking about 90" ?

Racer FCN 2
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg T wrote:

Contact lenses.......

Listen you genetically compromised speccy wang eyed eejuts, I'm all for water cooler chat and all but I've not seen a decent ring gag in pages and unless someone's going to post a killer image of VP in glasses then this needs to be crimped off right now...

Hang on

Vicky+Pendleton.jpg

That's better

Oh my Lord alive.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Love the necklace :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jay dubbleU
    I can see a big problem with those semi-permanent contacts - you're other half will realise what you look like first thing in the morning :)
  • Bassjunkieuk
    itboffin wrote:
    Love the necklace :lol:

VP with a pearl necklace *cough*
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Anyway...

I'm going to ask the optician about the overnight ones on Friday as I'm due an eye test. They'll probably say I'm not suitable for some reason or other but I'm hoping for a free trial of some sort at least.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    snooks wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    Are those netto bars?

Maybe if you'd had contacts in at FW you might have seen that the Gladiator wasn't VP as you sprinted towards her!!! :wink:

Fair play, she wasn't quite worth the run but not bad.....
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    snooks wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    Are those netto bars?

Well said!

Right Vikki Pendleton

I'm gonna curb my more cantankerous nature and not go all Spike Lee by asking why there are no black female cyclists.... But as much as I was 'feeling' (metaphor refering to attractions) Victoria, I've kind of gone off her.

Her thighs aren't that big (nor her butt) and her forehead is a little too pronouced. She's not ugly, the complete package would have me not saying no but I don't covert her as much as I used to. Perhaps if I saw her at Freewheel.... still no Liz Hurley.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    Contast.

I pay £25 a month for monthly disposable contacts. They are called Acu-view Oasis (sp). They are for extended where which means you can sleep in them. They are a tad short of brilliant. Brilliant would be perfect vision.
    Food Chain number = 4