Silly commuting racing

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Today was my one day's train journey this week. I missed my bike but I got a lot of essential reading done so I suppose it's all good. Looking forward to getting back on the bike tomorrow. I hope I meet CJ again soon - I'll no doubt just draft him (and still be skin breathing) but company's always nice.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    I have no doubt whatsoever that you lot would absolutely scalp me (though you'd have to leave smelly London first :wink: )

You'd then speed by and realise I was a girl and then report here that it didn't count :(
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    edited October 2008
    SkiUtah+chicks+on+Hidden+Peak.jpg

that pic is on Hidden Peak, Utah. Turn Mormon and you could make all 6 of them your wife
    <a>road</a>
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    linsen wrote:
    I have no doubt whatsoever that you lot would absolutely scalp me (though you'd have to leave smelly London first :wink: )

You'd then speed by and realise I was a girl and then report here that it didn't count :(

the SCR has no care for the victims age or sex - all are fair game in "the game" - see

34023704_cb3ffdde60.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    itboffin wrote:
    linsen wrote:

the SCR has no care for the victims age or sex - all are fair game in "the game" - see

34023704_cb3ffdde60.jpg

:lol::lol:
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Jen J wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    linsen wrote:

34023704_cb3ffdde60.jpg

"you WILL like riding your bike"
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • I forgot to add.....

If you lot are so blind how would you know a knobbly mbike from a roadster anway?

Smell. You can smell the mud on the MTB and the fear as you approach a roadster. With SS and fixies you smell the trendy aspiration. On beards - no hang on. I think I've dug a deep enough hole for myself already.

The glasses allow me to just about see my front wheel :D Complete nightmare when it rains. Contacts and surgery are not an option for me I'm sorry to say.

Anyway DD - hope the knees and elbows are OK after your tumble. I reported on a near tumble under the Billet underpass last night (about 20 pages back by now) after some git pulled out right in front of me from the bus lane (no lights or indicator) on Chingford Road

Worked from home today so my first day not on a bike in about eight days. I'm going to pay tomorrow....
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • TCS wrote
    Smell. You can smell the mud on the MTB and the fear as you approach a roadster. With SS and fixies you smell the trendy aspiration. On beards - no hang on. I think I've dug a deep enough hole for myself already.

The second I punched the go button I knew I had missed a trick. Smell em, maybe but you can certainly hear them, those mtbers. Knobblies make a hell of a row.

Underpass at the Billet - If I am doing a rare Walthamstow Bike shed moment it means I am on the hybrid and are thus unable to do the top side roundabout cos I just haven't the beans. (different going sarf on the racer when its just all out or.......let's not go there). The glass in the underpass is just diabolical.

Rest assured should the worst happen down under I will find your body after 2 weeks (min visit period).

I missed your injury - apologies (it hurts)
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • Whats his problem

34023704_cb3ffdde60.jpg

She's got em cold, those herberts aren't even trying. Ok there are few stabilisers in the background (for the hard of vision amongst us) so they are + 1 at least.

Why have the fashionistas deserted us - socks and sandals (the dad/I assume) no comments, come on people or is that your usual de rigour!
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • Whats his problem

34023704_cb3ffdde60.jpg

She's got em cold, those herberts aren't even trying. Ok there are few stabilisers in the background (for the hard of vision amongst us) so they are + 1 at least.

Why have the fashionistas deserted us - socks and sandals (the dad/I assume) no comments, come on people or is that your usual de rigour!

she's riding brakeless, does she get extra kudos?
    the hippies of today will be the squares of tommorrow
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Morning everyone, Just thought i'd give all those intrested a quick update, As of last night my total miles hot 406, Sure its not a patch on a fair few round here but im chuffed, I have not caught the train for a long time now and on Monday I was so early I doubled back on myself and did 10 miles on the way into work, It seems this cycling lark :wink: is just what I needed, Thanks for the support and encouragement everone, At this rate Manchester-Blackpool will be a walk in the park lolol

Gaz
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Whats his problem

34023704_cb3ffdde60.jpg

she's riding brakeless, does she get extra kudos?

Mate - single speed fixie with all the kit - SCR 1 she must be! :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Jeez not one cyclist on the way in, not a single sausage. I really must get a job in the city :(

Fixies rule OK
    The Magic Man...now you see me...now you don't...

Fixie Suit Spds & wrap arounds FCN 3
    Racer FCN 2
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    dafruk wrote:
    girv73 wrote:
    VP. I'd heard the rumours, but didn't fully realise. Google Images is gonna get me a workout when I get home.

I've completed the missing blank for you.[/b]

Thanks 8)

Google Images, pendleton+observer+cover = :shock:

NSFW! (not safe for wife)
    Today is a good day to ride
  • girv73
    itboffin wrote:

Cool, so scalping little girls and making them cry is OK ?

I had one, tassles and everything, overtake me yesterday - on the pavement, while I was filtering in traffic, save your so-called "jokes" about MTBs being slow. I wasn't having any of that and hunted her down.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    First off, we've reached the triple century!! WOOHOOW!!! I tell ya Cycle Plus should do an article on this, largest forum thread EVER! (If I'm wrong please correct me.....)

Anyhow back to the serious SCR related news, caught a a fellow roadie napping today on a mini-roundabout. I'd spied him up ahead (just, he was a blur of bright green when I first saw him, damn wang eyes!) and caught him about a minute later. He hesitated, I went for it. Victory favors the bold!

Second point of interest actually furned into a bit of an anti-climax. Spotted someone moving rather quick in a white top and black leggings as I approached the A3 underpass. By the time I got round the corner he wasn't to be seen so I just hoped he'd headed through there. As I got on the exit ramp I could just see him turning to join the road :-)

I exited and watched as he approached the roundabout ahead "Please turn left!!!" I think........and BAM he does GAME ON :evil:

I start winding up the fast gear, changing up well behind him so I don't give myself away. He's holding a steady 21/22mph and then I notice he has flat bars!!!! FFS, he's below me (technically). I roll past holding about 24ish and notice not only has he got flat bars, he's on a slicked up MTB! Kudos to him tho as he was making good pace. This to me earned him some FCN points and pushed him up a bit. As I turned off I did a quick check and he was about 50-60 yards back. He also had a rather bright flashing light up front, which made spotting him a lot easier!

Also need to get an adjudication. What's the FCN of a mobility scooter? I don't think it'll be very high as they are limited to like 10mph, at which point my 7 year old could scalp one. I went whipping past one in Morden today that was on the road (for a change!)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    On the brompton today in a mile or so I notched

3 mtb's, 4 hybrids and a tourer and numerous shoppers but they don't count even for me :lol:

I might rock it out to the morpeth next time to put the real fear of god in you lot...
    I was clocked at 19 cruising in the middle gear to give you an idea... I reckon I could ramp it up to mid to low 20's on full gear
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I am now at 2.5 London Dynamos, averaging 0.35 LDs per trip.

However, I'm pretty sure the top and bottom kiited dude I had last night was the same guy that I speared earlier in the week...

In the sub game of LD bagging doing the same guy on multiple nights/mornings might not be "on side".

What do we think?

Now then, coming through Parsons Green Last night I was in a bike free bubble but still pushing on when I came across an L plated Moped.....

At the lights by the Starbucks I thought "Brilliant I'll draft her" (cos it was a burd) from the lights to save my legs and get me up to cruising speed).

Off we go.

I'm manning up in the required style and pushing on, her machine however seems to have less beans than me and she's topping out low 20's. I tuck in behind and let her drag me. Double cat eye laser beams blinking.....

She ups the ante a bit but can't drop me. I'm considering putting in a truly spintastic attack when she decides the pain of being chased by a bicycle is too much and pulls over, I go by and she tucks in behind me!

I drop her.

Yes. I thank you, no no you are all too kind.

It gets better.

Over the Col de Putney Bridge I put in the required sprint effort to ensure I maintain my clean sheet and self respect.

As I crest the summit and start to descend the peak I spot a guy on a road bike just getting to the front of the lights, ready to go right.

Game on.

Black Shiny Boardman, he's in a mix of kit but looks the part enough....

Off we go. I decide to go early and do it the hard way, push ahead before the Pub and then challenge him to drop the big dog in his own back yard.....

What is the icing on the cake?

Race number.

Yes, he's left his last race number clipped into his frame, 139 as I remember......

With that little trophy fueling my thighs I spin up to Moulinex and scream off into the night.

Needless to say dear Readers, I didn't see him again.

GET IN.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • girv73
    @Greg T :

Perhaps your racer was in (ahem) "active recovery" on the way home after a hard race?

No matter, a scooter drafted you and couldn't keep up. Chap-ho sir!
  • Greg T
    girv73 wrote:
    Perhaps your racer was in (ahem) "active recovery" on the way home after a hard race?!

I fail to see your point?

Unless his last race culminated in a time trial castration he got done good and proper.

Leave your race number on your bike and you are playing.

I imagine he took it off when he got home and had a tearful conversation with his Mum.

• Ladies and Gents

just a quick thank you for 300 pages of entertainment, as one for whom cummuting by bike is just wishful thinking (nearest company office to my house would be a daily 75-mile round trip), the thought of SCR is just a seductive fantasy when sat at a desk, and on trips to our Clapham office when passing fixies are checked out for signs of SCR intent.

Chapeau!
    Chocolate makes your clothes shrink
  • girv73
    Greg T wrote:

Fair point :) He indeed deserved it.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Greg T wrote:
    Black Shiny Boardman, he's in a mix of kit but looks the part enough....

Off we go. I decide to go early and do it the hard way, push ahead before the Pub and then challenge him to drop the big dog in his own back yard.....

What is the icing on the cake?

Race number.

Yes, he's left his last race number clipped into his frame, 139 as I remember......

I think I saw this guy the other night at the Putney end of PB...was the number on his frame held with black cable ties around the top/head tube??? :D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Greg T
    snooks wrote:
    I think I saw this guy the other night at the Putney end of PB...was the number on his frame held with black cable ties around the top/head tube??? :D

That is the chappy......

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    girv73 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Cool, so scalping little girls and making them cry is OK ?

I had one, tassles and everything, overtake me yesterday - on the pavement, while I was filtering in traffic, save your so-called "jokes" about MTBs being slow. I wasn't having any of that and hunted her down.

Tiz true if they move on two wheels then it's fair game, that said for the scalp to count you must be below or equal in the FC, all things being equal take those scalps when ever the opportunity arises (esp. for us out-of-towners) and add then to your trophy collect/rug :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • girv73
    If a scalpee tries it on and fails I think the FCN rules should be bypassed and the scalp counted no matter what. Thoughts?
  • girv73 wrote:
    If a scalpee tries it on and fails I think the FCN rules should be bypassed and the scalp counted no matter what. Thoughts?

Hehe I'd like that to apply, scalpees are always trying it on, I think it's because the vintage tourer I use is fairly girly (split angled top tube - a mixte) so they consider it a slight if I pass them.

There was a bloke on a fixie just staring at me at the lights yesterday morning, very odd, maybe he was trying to work out my FCN (bit of a tricky one, a girly panniered tourer but with drops and spds). You know when you can see them looking out of the corner of your eye...I turned my head to look back at him and he quickly pretended to stare straight ahead.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg T wrote:
    snooks wrote:

That is the chappy......

Tri or sportif perhaps.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Reasonably quiet last night, but left work late. The road off to Richmond from Lower Richmond Road was closed off by the Police. Hope nothing nasty happened.

This morning was interesting. Another roadie on carbon bling was filtering quickly on Embankment, so that provided some repeat overtaking fun. Couldn't even hang on at the back. 8)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Greg T wrote:
    girv73 wrote:
    Perhaps your racer was in (ahem) "active recovery" on the way home after a hard race?!

I fail to see your point?

Unless his last race culminated in a time trial castration he got done good and proper.

I imagine he took it off when he got home and had a tearful conversation with his Mum.

Good gaming, sir.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."