Silly commuting racing

Comments

• attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Even less of you will care for my opinion

CS I know this is a few pages back now, but I wanted to pull you up on this one, your opinion is as valid as anybody's on this thread, it's an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week but all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more major--

Let's not go there, it's a silly place
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    steve-t wrote:
    Isn't that spelled Fi-ah Sur-vis in the NE?

Howay man, toon toon etc etc?

Im from nottingham way moved up here for the job but they do ALL speak just like that!

A band from Newcastle were being interviewed by Janice Long on Radio 2 last week. They said that, when they sang, people in the south had difficultly understanding what they were saying. However, people/fans from Norway understood clearly enough.

<blank stare>
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    dammit the Touche is becoming far too ubiquitous for my liking. At least I bought mine in blue - see less of them about.
    That's what I thought, too. OK It's time to stop recommending it on web forums ;)
    Jon - I got the sense in RP on sunday that you maybe something of a mountain goat... am I right?
    Well, I'm light and that helps :) Did 59mins up Alpe D'Huez a month or so ago. Was happy to break the hour but wanted to go a bit quicker :( We time-trialled up it with no warmup (hotel was at the roundabout on the valley road) and at 9:30 in the morning was a bit misty and cool. Unfinished business...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Attica wrote:

CS I know this is a few pages back now, but I wanted to pull you up on this one, your opinion is as valid as anybody's on this thread, it's an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week but all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more major--

I ORDER you to be quiet!

:D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Attica wrote:

I ORDER you to be quiet!

:D

Help help, I'm being oppressed.

come and see the violence inherent in the system!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Attica wrote:

!

Well you are a yokel, 'tis only right.

*Rues the end of feudalism.
  • cjcp
    Attica wrote:

!

Well you are a yokel, 'tis only right.

*Rues the end of feudalism.

It's only right that the provinces are kept quiet. We don't want discontent spreading to the capital.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Eventually left work about 30 minutes late yesterday which made the commute home a bit more interesting! No more competition but it did mean I got home when it was getting darker! Makes filtering between 2 lanes of cars oh so much fun with the reduced visibility! On the plus side people did spot my flashing front light easily! Missed out on a roadie who I picked up as I entered the underpass to get across the A3, there was a women on a hybrid ahead and he managed to get round her in the tunnel. I didn't have enough room to follow him (bar flying past her and knocking her off......). He unfortunately didn't go my way after that :-(

Also had a right flyer as my cycle comp showed that I averaged 17.7mph, so I was rather chuffed!

This morning was fairly run of the mill, spotted a roadie ahead but again he wasn't going the same way as me! Did 4 or 5 MTB/hybrid bikes going UP Surbiton Hill - all below me in the FC but I did my best "I'm not trying" riding, might try coasting past if I meet anyone there tomorrow :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • There are a few of us here who cycle in the wilderness - myself included.
    It just makes your scalps all the more precious!

Enjoy, I look forward to hearing about your first scalp.

@Steve-t

Hola! This is London calling! How is the Wild West?

Another fixie. Oh no. The end of civilisation is nigh.

Looking forward to the scalp reports.

The wild west, or sticks as it were (Newbury) probably enjoys one of the busiest school runs outside the city. Its a jungle, but with very few cyclists. With regards to facial hair, I think those brandishing speed burns, del piero's or any other designer facial hair should be deducted a point on grounds of looking flash. Those follicly challenged or with "baghdad blonde" hair (ginger) should gain a couple of points, they have it hard enough....
    The Magic Man...now you see me...now you don't...

Fixie Suit Spds & wrap arounds FCN 3
    Racer FCN 2
  • Fire service & goatee how does that stack up with a BA?

The breathing app doodah would be pretty handy on those extended drag races with tucked up jean trousers and pump wearing, wrap around............bughers. Yeah I lost an extended tussle. He rlj_ed at one point but a minor offence. You know when you've been done.

Downgrade fixies, did 2 more today (Greg66 may have found the one true hero but all the ones I see seem to think its a fashion statement)

Does the amount of lights you now carry affect your FCN. If so I'm going to be a 'kin Xmas tree.
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I pwned a hairy roadie big stylee this evening, I passed him at 24mph travelling west whilst 3/4 of the way up the incline on the stretch of Victoria embankment that comes out from under Blackfriars bridge.

I then had to avoid a ped that had jumped into the road as well as a slower cyclist so he got to take me back and shouted that I should get in front of him so I could knock a hole in the wind for him; I think he called me fat.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    PS, anybody up for a meet and cycle up the City one morning, i.e. 7.30 AM at Cheyne walk where it joins cremome road?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&saddr ... 8&t=h&z=18
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I bonked on the way home. Small lunch and a dozen prunes 2 hours before departure doesn't work.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    And let's assume all the prune jokes have already been made and move on, shall we :)
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    biondino wrote:
    And let's assume all the prune jokes have already been made and move on, shall we :)

Dammit. Had a good one ready.
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Hello Newbury chap - I also cycle the Newbury jungle...

Got my first scalp the other day going up Greenham hill - but he was on the pavement, so I'm not sure he counts...

A lycra-ed up roadie overtook me at some traffic lights - but that also didn't count as I was stationary in the green box - the cheeky monkey sailed past, edging into the junction (red light) - I was going left while he went straight off but I'm sure I'd have had him otherwise ;)

I also overtake cows and dogs fairly regularly - what FCN would they be, or does it depend on the hairiness of the dog?
    FCN 10
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    pigeon42 wrote:
    I also overtake cows and dogs fairly regularly - what FCN would they be, or does it depend on the hairiness of the dog?

Depends on the breed. Yorkshire terrier or whippet?

Used to collect loads of scalps a few years ago, my route to work is pretty much the same as the route to university so loads of students on bikes. Then came a time when I didn't seem to catch as many. In the last few days, I've been passed a few times :shock:

Need to get the OCR fixed and get some speed in my legs :twisted:
  • cjcp
    prj45 wrote:
    PS, anybody up for a meet and cycle up the City one morning, i.e. 7.30 AM at Cheyne walk where it joins cremome road?

Yikes! Bit early for me. :) I'm there about an hour later.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    That 'orrible drizzle was back tonight. And a falling leaf hit me in the face. I'm consoling myself with the fact that it starts getting light againt in, ooo, about two months. :roll:

Clean sheet tonight. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Morning Game players...

I would like to report my first scalp. I saw my target, an old lady riding a shopper with a basket shooting up black boys bridge in Newbury this morning. I quickly set off in hot pursuit where we met at the traffic lights.

She eyed me with contempt with her red scarf and huge glasses, clearly it was on..(in my mind at least). So I blasted off in a nonchalant manner to collect what is probably 1/7th or 1/8th of a point. That will learn her......

Racer FCN 2
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    cjcp wrote:
    prj45 wrote:

Yikes! Bit early for me. :) I'm there about an hour later.

I go through there about 0750 ish.....

In fairness in the mornings I like to work solo, like a rogue old elephant.

Newbury Chap, hereafter NBC (get it? mask in nine etc etc) did you sneer at the old Lady as you went by and then barge in in front?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    I'm concerned with this new ruling on halfbeards as it will affect my FCN, so I need some input from this week's executive committee.

I'm not a full beardy, but it's more that I can't be arsed shaving properly than trying to be in with the cool kids. Also it gives me somewhere to keep porridge until lunchtime. Remember, I'm from the provinces and we're more concerned with badger farming and burning stuff than running cross team thought showers up the flagpole for Zurich to see what sticks, like you city folk are, so it's not actually possible for me to be trendy, I think.

So do I get the +1 beard modifier or not?
    Today is a good day to ride
  • Newbury Chap, hereafter NBC (get it? mask in nine etc etc) did you sneer at the old Lady as you went by and then barge in in front?

Hey Greg :D

I have always thought one should respect your elders so I let her be today. Then of course, she did not look averse to carrying a pocket full of tacks for tomorrows duel. Its slim pickings out here.

Oh to be in the city....

Racer FCN 2
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Where has everyone gone? I had a couple of klingons last night on the way home but no real talent and this mornings slightly damp weather seems to have kept anyone decent off of the roads.

The only point of interest today was a cyclist who 1/2 jumed the red lights at Lambeth North and then stopped in the middle of the junction so that he couldn't see the traffic lights to give him the go signal. He had to turn around and watch everyone else at the lights to work out when to move off. How stupid do you have to be to do that? I was gobsmacked, though not enough to make a sarcy comment as I ripped past him across the junction leaving him to incur the wrath of the other, law-fearing road users.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • cjcp
    girv73 wrote:
    I'm concerned with this new ruling on halfbeards as it will affect my FCN, so I need some input from this week's executive committee.

I'm not a full beardy, but it's more that I can't be arsed shaving properly than trying to be in with the cool kids. Also it gives me somewhere to keep porridge until lunchtime. Remember, I'm from the provinces and we're more concerned with badger farming and burning stuff than running cross team thought showers up the flagpole for Zurich to see what sticks, like you city folk are, so it's not actually possible for me to be trendy, I think.

Girv - no point, my friend. Gotta be a full beard. When's the next Hercules drop of supplies? Does it pass by you chaps before heading off to the Falklands? Perhaps we could send you a parcel of razors or something.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    girv73 wrote:

I'll say not - just so long as you don't right a shagging song about the great "Battle of the Beard" and commemorate the day for eternity.

Of course the hive mind must opine but goatees are in my opinion the antithesis of the full on Flax munching, anal hair plating super beardie.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I really do hate that fine rain, as others who wear glasses to allow them to see beyond their front wheel will I'm sure be aware, it just sticks to them and you can barely see a damn thing!
    Last night with the lovely mist cooling my arms (I was in a short sleeved cycle top!) I couldn't hardly make out the damn wing mirrors on the cars I was passing!

A bit better this morning as it did rain a tiny bit harder and then stopped so I had chance to dry em off! Still I only have 1 1/2 more days of this commute then it's back to the ol' tin box as I'm down in lovely Woking for a week or so! I will work out a route down there one day and then maybe start riding then when I'm working there in the summer. It might not be much quicker then by car but I'm estimating 25 miles, which should take me about 1 1/2 hours!

Nothing to report on the game front, although I did have some excellent filtering fun! It really amazes me just how maneuverable my lil' bike is! I really enjoy slotting it through the smallest of gaps and getting ahead of dozens of cars!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    Last night with the lovely mist cooling my arms (I was in a short sleeved cycle top!) I couldn't hardly make out the damn wing mirrors on the cars I was passing!

And the problem is that with that drizzly rubbish on the windows and mirrors, them big nasty cars struggle to see us.

Careful all.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Newbury Chap, hereafter NBC (get it? mask in nine etc etc) did you sneer at the old Lady as you went by and then barge in in front?

Hey Greg :D

I have always thought one should respect your elders so I let her be today. Then of course, she did not look averse to carrying a pocket full of tacks for tomorrows duel. Its slim pickings out here.

Oh to be in the city....

Greetings from windy Wiltshire NBC and welcome to the SCR, I use various stretches of the country lanes from Hungerford to Newbury for training erm! fun rides, care to post your exact route to work and timetable, so that I can make sure we don't accidentally bump into each other, dum dee dum!!! :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Greg T wrote:
    girv73 wrote:

I'll say not - just so long as you don't right a shagging song about the great "Battle of the Beard" and commemorate the day for eternity.

Of course the hive mind must opine but goatees are in my opinion the antithesis of the full on Flax munching, anal hair plating super beardie.

The beard must be a conscious effort not a I couldn't be arsed to shave stubble type of affair.

Extra points should be awarded for any serious sancho handlebar moustache or Victorian pork chops, human or otherwise.

1_461.jpg

Now where did I put my razor ....

edit - just to show how inclusive I am these days

If for some reason you need to drop a couple of FCN points but have a problem growing real facial hair

http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/merchandiser/33797.jpg?is=350,350,0xffffff
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.