A regular ride in Essex.

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I'll be over at Thordon tomorrow (Sat) from about 8 to 12. This takes in Warley Gap which has probably got the best trails with steep riding, Donkey Lane Plantation and Hartswood.

Trails on Wednesday were dryer than most of the summer but now we have the British Rail problem, leaves on the track as well as plenty of sweet chestnuts.

Trails, when you're riding fast, covered in plenty of leaves seem to disappear before your eyes, plus all those bits you try to miss are also covered over. As long as I don't derail I'll be happy.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • robertpb
    Well Thordon and surrounding area was very good this morning managed to cover just over 34 miles and only saw one other bike. Must have been the cold, 4C when I set off.

Rode for 3:35 and was pleased with the distance considering I'm 58. Spent over an hour at Warley Gap testing granny out on some of those steep slopes.
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    the Downholls sound cool whats the Postal code ??
  • a17vts
    a17vts Posts: 90
    I'm all very new to this but would be good to meet up with a few of your some time. Any meets happening soon?

Tom
  • robertpb
    Hi Tom,

I usually ride at Thorndon on Saturday mornings for about 4 hours, then a couple of days in the week for 2 - 3 hours.

Might have to change the Saturday ride though this week as I have someone coming over to see me from Holland and he doesn't know if it's Friday afternoon or Saturday morning.
  • a17vts
    Hi Robert,

I'm sure I shall see you over there some time soon as I plan to go there a lot over the next few weeks. I plan to get out once a week to start then increase the amount of rides as my fitness improves.

Can you recomend any other places to ride in our area or is Thorndon one of the best.
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Also look at Langdon Hills. and Danbury.

I found a nice little route today starting from home (Billericay - Bridles Estate), around Hanniingfield Reservoir (most of this part is on road) then from Ramsden Heath head south all along the briddleways (mostly like singletrack :D ) to Cray's Hill, back up to South Farm (all so far on similar type of briddleway) and back home. 18 Miles.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    That sounds like a good route, CJW. I think of roads as a necessary evil to get to the good bits!

Tom, pop over to Langdon Hills. That'll get your fitness up quickly!
  • a17vts
    Well tomorrow will be my first trip out, going to Thorndon to start with. I think I'll go there a couple of time before I go else where just to get use to the bike and so on. Still yet to get a helmet which I should be getting tonight as long as they have the one I want in stock.

Cheers for the advise in regards to where to ride. Some areas I wouldn't have looked at to be honest.
  • rikk
    rikk Posts: 734
    I'm out at thorndon sunday morning if you fancy a show around?

I'll be in the lower carpark near the cafe at 9am
  • a17vts
    I was planning Saturday, but will see how my weekend goes. But will be up for a showing around some time soon. When you say the lower car park do you mean by the Halfway House?
  • rikk
    Yep that's the one.
  • Buckle
    Buckle Posts: 90
    cjw wrote:

I found a nice little route today starting from home (Billericay - Bridles Estate), around Hanniingfield Reservoir (most of this part is on road) then from Ramsden Heath head south all along the briddleways (mostly like singletrack :D ) to Cray's Hill, back up to South Farm (all so far on similar type of briddleway) and back home. 18 Miles.

Hey, that's just up the road from me! I have always been a bit wary of riding round the edges of the farmer fields (is that where it is?). I always get a feeling of "Get arf moi laaaaand" followed by the sound of a double-barrel going off...!
    Don't you just hate it when people ask rhetorical questions...
  • Buckle
    Buckle Posts: 90
    rikk wrote:
    I'm out at thorndon sunday morning if you fancy a show around?

I'll be in the lower carpark near the cafe at 9am

Ah, bugger it. I really fancy a ride out but have already agreed to go shopping Sunday morning with the missus...
    :(
    Don't you just hate it when people ask rhetorical questions...
  • cjw
    Buckle wrote:
    cjw wrote:

Hey, that's just up the road from me! I have always been a bit wary of riding round the edges of the farmer fields (is that where it is?). I always get a feeling of "Get arf moi laaaaand" followed by the sound of a double-barrel going off...!

No, it's a proper briddleway so you won't have any problems... but I thought the same when I saw it on the OS map :wink:
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • cjw
    Here's the main part of the route on the briddleways...

Billericay.jpg
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • a17vts
    please excuse my stupidty but what colours am I looking for on that map CJW?

Tom
  • cjw
    Purple
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • a17vts
    Cheers.
  • cjw
    If you want to meet for a blast around (or even a moderate ride around) ... no problems
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • a17vts
    cjw wrote:
    If you want to meet for a blast around (or even a moderate ride around) ... no problems

I'll take you up on that for sure one day.

Need to get my fitness up first then i shall tag along for sure if that is ok.

From that map it appears your from just round the corner from me. So that makes things easy for me to tag along as well.
  • Any plans for another Monday night ride @ Langdon Hills ? I manage to keep missing them !! Plus I've just bought a new light so would be an ideal oppertunity to try it out. ;0)
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Not heard anything from MuddyLegs, watch this space......

A couple of us head over there on Sat/Sun mornings sometimes, if you fancy that?
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    There are no more Monday night rides scheduled for this year.

I discovered at the last one that what i thought were bright lights are, in fact, not!
  • hey every one what is laindonhills routes like are they fast or dangerous i hope so as i plan to get down there on sat if some one could discribe what there like i would be very grateful cheers.. :D
  • hey everyone just need to find out about what the routes are like are they fast and dangerous i hope so and is there any jumps any where i am planning on going down there sat please let me know how it is on the routes thanks cheers...
  • a17vts
    Not that I am any help, but I was planning on going down there Saturday morning as well but I may need to work now so not sure. I will get down there soon.
  • well me and a m8 are gonna go down there of the afternoon is it a good ride and have you been down there before im looking for a really exciting fast paced route if you know any im very intrested cheers...
  • a17vts
    Sorry can't help on the route front, not been there yet so I have no idea. Although I have only heard good stuff about the place. I'm sure there will be some people on here who will know some decent routes.
  • rikk
    Anyone fancy a ride at Thorndon on Sunday morning?

I normally do a mix of trails about 16 miles, nothing nuts but all very fun, fast and flowy. I'm not a speed freak so anyone welcome to come play :)

Meet at the lower carpark closest to the halfway house at 9am?

I'm easily spotted, pace RC405 and one leg. let me know if you fancy it.