A regular ride in Essex.

Comments

• Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    edited June 2008
    None of us had a GPS but this is a link to a map of the area we were in: http://www.thurrock.gov.uk/countryside/ ... nhills.jpg
    If you ride all the blue dotted bits (except the road sections at the top) then you will have covered almost all of what we did. It wasn't a mad sprint though - we each rode the ups and downs as we wanted to and caught up in between.
  • rikk
    rikk Posts: 734
    Cheers, i've got friday off so weather permitting I'll pop over and give it a try :)
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Rather you than me on the nightriding Belv.

I had enough to do keeping up with Muddylegs in the daylight!

See you next time.
  • muddylegs
    muddylegs Posts: 485
    Hi folks,
    Hope you all had a good ride the other night?
    I think i will organise another one before we are due to meet on the 21st July.
    It was so good to ride with other people it gets boring on your own and I think that you push yourself a bit harder when out with other riders.
    A date for your diary nothing to do with this thread but it is about biking in Essex.
    The Danbury Bike Festival.
    Mud, Sweat & Gears. Mountain bike enduro event.
    Sunday 20th July 08. 1pm-4pm
    http://www.chelmsford.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=15428
    I hope this link is ok it seems to have all the information.
    They do something very similar in my area in Sept i will keep you posted.
  • BigJimmyB
    Liked it so much I did it again last night! Well, almost, we started at the car park opposite Dry St, then came down to the Horse steps and took it from there.

Let me know when the next one is 'Legs, you have my No for a text if you need it.

I can't make Danbury, will likely be on way home from Afan (yippee!!).

Good luck at Box Hill too mate :)
  • Belv
    Muddylegs, yes another one sounds good. Gotta make the most of the light evenings while they're here.

BigJimmyB, AGAIN ALREADY? My legs are still heavy from Monday. As Muddylegs said, i definitely pushed harder being in a group.

Hmm, that race looks interesting <checks diary>...
    'Havoc On The Hill' in Sept i am very keen on (apart from the idea of going up One Tree Hill several times in an afternoon. That will require some training)
  • muddylegs
    Belv,
    I am thinking about doing that as well. Cant remember if i said the other night but there are two event on the Havoc on the hill and hour and a two hour enduro event. the courses are the same and it includes some of what we did the other night.
  • BigJimmyB
    Belv wrote:
    BigJimmyB, AGAIN ALREADY? My legs are still heavy from Monday. As Muddylegs said, i definitely pushed harder being in a group.

You didn't look like you broke a sweat mate!

I usually rest for a day then try to get out again if I can. Looks like next ride will be at the weekend now though ;-(
  • Belv
    muddylegs wrote:
    Belv,
    I am thinking about doing that as well. Cant remember if i said the other night but there are two event on the Havoc on the hill and hour and a two hour enduro event. the courses are the same and it includes some of what we did the other night.
    Which one were you think about doing?
    muddylegs wrote:
    The Danbury Bike Festival.
    Mud, Sweat & Gears. Mountain bike enduro event.
    Sunday 20th July 08. 1pm-4pm.
    Did you mention this because you plan to do it too?
  • Belv
    I'll be out on the next two Mondays if anyone wants to meet up for a ride on either (or both) of those evenings.
    Planning to go out tonight too but not sure what time yet.

Rikk, did you pop over on Friday to have a look around?
  • rikk
    rikk Posts: 734
    I ended up over Thorndon exploring more of the trails there, should be getting to the hills this fri/sat.
    Is there much hidden away off the beaten track or is it pretty much whats on the map?
  • BigJimmyB
    A few of us did Langdon on a whim yesterday. Sorry I didn't have time to let anyone know, it was all a bit of a rush job.

We managed to get an hour (and a pint!) in.

Belv, I might be able to manage 7/7 if you're planing to be out that evening?
  • Belv
    Yes, i will be out then.

I was out last night but stuck to the area down the main road from the pub. Have decided to do that 'Mud, sweat and gears' event listed above, so i was practising climbing up and down Marks Hill (that hill that left a nasty taste in Muddyleg's mouth!).
  • BigJimmyB
    OK, I'll be back from sunny Croatia that day so hopefully I'll make it. I'll send you and 'Legs a text if i can.

Just figured out the 'taste' reference - ugh!
  • muddylegs
    Organised ride.
    Thursday16th June
    Leaving the carpark @ 7.15
    All welcome, similar route to the other week.
    Let me know if you are coming sorry for the last minute but i fancied a ride.
  • Belv
    rikk wrote:
    I ended up over Thorndon exploring more of the trails there, should be getting to the hills this fri/sat.
    Is there much hidden away off the beaten track or is it pretty much whats on the map?
    Here's your chance to find out!
  • BigJimmyB
    You mean the 26th MuddyLegs!

Got yr text last night - sorry, I can't make it, but am up for the ride Belv mentioned on 7/7.
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Anyone going on Monday (14th July - tomorrow). I'm working from home tomorrow so can make it 8)
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • muddylegs
    I might be able to join you but it will be around 7.00/7.30ish, i will give you a ring.
  • BigJimmyB
    I wont be able to make it tonight - can anyone do Weds?
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    I'll probably go over to Thorndon now this evening for a short ride, but I could do Wednesday evening.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Belv
    I'll be there, either tonight or Wednesday is good for me.
  • mcbazza
    mcbazza Posts: 251
    So, I'm the only one that sees "regular ride in Essex" and thinks "Sharon and/or Tracey"?
    :D
    Stumpy, Rockhopper (stolen!) & custom SX Trail II - that should do it!
  • Belv
    So are we on for tonight, folks?
  • BigJimmyB
    Sorry Belv.

I knew yesterday I wouldn't be able to make it but didnt get a chance to post here or text you.

Had to ride last night instead.

Up for a trip out next week though if you/Muddlylegs fancy it?
  • Belv
    Next Monday?
    It was one of Muddylegs original dates, so i had set that aside already.
  • Hi guys,

Where are you riding? I've just moved to the area so would love someone to show me round. Had a potter round Weald (rubbish) and Thorndon (much better, but would benefit from someone showing me round), and will maybe try Langdon Hills on Friday.

Nick
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!
  • BigJimmyB
    Hi Nick,

Looks like someone at least will be going out in Langdon next Monday. Stay tuned.

I personally think it's one of the better places to ride in S Essex.

BJB
  • muddylegs
    Going to be riding over at warley on friday evening if anybody is interested. This is big jumps and Northshore stuff, never been so i dont know what to expect.
    If you dont know where it is then meet me in our car park at 7.30.
    I am not going to be doing anything that will damage my bike just to and have a look and a play.
    COME ON YOU KNOW YOU WANT TOO. :twisted:

We will still ride on the 21st of July.
  • Where is your car park? Could be up for that...... although don't expect to see too much!
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!