London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • muddylegs
    muddylegs Posts: 485
    edited July 2008
    No we all returned safely.
    The jumps over there are enormous way to scary for all of us.
    But there is some great single track to be had.
    We are going to organise a ride over there, and i have a very good guide who knows there area like the back of his hand, we will talk about more on monday.
  • NYK
    NYK Posts: 30
    when is the next group ride Muddylegs? I could do with the hill work.
  • muddylegs
    NYK wrote:
    when is the next group ride Muddylegs? I could do with the hill work.

21st July. Leaving at 7.00 for a couple of hours. Pm me if you need address.
  • muddylegs
    If people get a chance, before Monday, can I have a quick show of hands who will be attending the ride.
    The dancing girls want to know. :lol:
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    I'll be there.
  • Count me in.
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Sorry - I didn't manage to make either the Warley trip or last night.

We did an Epic in the North Downs on Sunday that didn't quite go to plan - i.e. we got lost and spent much of the 6+ hours on the road. Those bridleways are bloody confusing if you dont know your way around. And lots of climbing HURTS!

Note to self - take an OS map next time and try to go with someone who knows the place!

Up for next Langdon/Warley ride, though. Kepp me posted.

BJB
  • Great ride last night guys, thanks for showing me round. Always much more fun riding in a group. And I'm pleased I only managed one puncture!

Orange Crush!
  • NYK
    NYK Posts: 30
    Couldn't make 21st due to having to get up stupid early for work the next day to go to Peterborough......twice.

Please let me know when you ride again.
  • muddylegs
    Sorry folks there will be no ride on Monday the 18th of August.
    We will fix another day to make up for the day.
  • BigJimmyB
    Ready and willing.

If poss could you txt me as I'm not able to get on here too often lately.

Thanks
    BJB
  • jpstar
    jpstar Posts: 561
    hi i live in this area i just wondered what the routes that you took were and where from also is it all xc? from what ive seen it is i just wondered what youve found. BTW what country park is it? is it the plotlands? if not which one/s?
  • BigJimmyB
    It's Plotlands and beyond into One Tree Hill and yes, mainly XC.

Join us for the next ride if you can.

BJB
  • jpstar
    jpstar Posts: 561
    thatd be great when is it? from 7 till when as i wont be able to get out very late my parents are pretty srtrict like that :( also where do enter the plotlands? i go from the entrance near Tescos if you turn left after you follow the track down a bit then take the right there is a great hill with a stair set at the bottom that goes past the farm and onto the path next to the lake
  • Buckle
    Buckle Posts: 90
    Alright folks.

What's the fitness levels like for your rides? I think I might be a bit too old/overweight/unfit to join in, but you never know! Oh, and just to make things worse, I'm nursing an old knee injury that won't go away.

I've been meaning to try Langdon Hills for ages but have been worried about riding alone there. Is there any 'trouble spots' to avoid e.g. travellers. boy racers, goths etc..

Cheers
    Don't you just hate it when people ask rhetorical questions...
  • Buckle
    Alright folks.

What's the fitness levels like for your rides? I think I might be a bit too old/overweight/unfit to join in, but you never know! Oh, and just to make things worse, I'm nursing an old knee injury that won't go away.

I've been meaning to try Langdon Hills for ages but have been worried about riding alone there. Is there any 'trouble spots' to avoid e.g. travellers. boy racers, goths etc..

Cheers
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Buckle wrote:
    Alright folks.

Cheers

I've riden around the route there a few times now by myself and haven't seen any trouble spots so far.

I'm going to ride there on Saturday (be heading from home about 9:30 so will be at the car park just before 10:00). If you want to meet up I can take you around the route I first did with Muddylegs a few months back.... I did it again last weekend 16mile + the 14 mile round trip home and I was knackered!
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Buckle
    Thanks, but I can't make it for the next 3-4 weeks but I'll keep my eye on here and maybe hook up after that. I hope you're not a racing snake or a power house or else I might hold you up somewhat.

Also, I take it you mean 10am and aren't a glutton for punishment doing a night ride!

Cheers
  • cjw
    No... I just plod along, and yes 10 am, although I've recently got some really nice Lupne lights for the Autumn Winter, so 10 pm..... Hmmmm.... good idea :lol:
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • cjw
    I'll be over ther with my son Tomorrow...
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Buckle
    cjw wrote:
    I just plod along

Sounds good to me! I'm going away for a week in a couple of weeks time for the G/F's birthday but it'd be great to meet up one Saturday morning, if you wouldn't mind showing me round the place. Just don't expect too much.

No joke!!

Cheers
  • BigJimmyB
    Buckle - dont worry about not being up to it, it would be good to have you along for the nex eveing ride.

JP Star, come in via Lower Dunton Road to the visitors centre, that's where we've met before.

Keep 'em peeled for the details of the next ride.
  • cjw
    Guess we'll all need lights next time. I was over at Thorndon this evening and by 8 oclock was pretty dark. Good fun though... used my Lupine.
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • cjw
    Buckle wrote:
    cjw wrote:
    I just plod along

Sounds good to me! I'm going away for a week in a couple of weeks time for the G/F's birthday but it'd be great to meet up one Saturday morning, if you wouldn't mind showing me round the place. Just don't expect too much.

No joke!!

Cheers

Yep, just drop me a pm or on this thread a few days before and I should be able to head over there in the am. Maybe a few others would like to join for a weekend ride as well.
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • brad1001
    brad1001 Posts: 27
    hiya people.
    any chance i can tag on to an evening ride or weekend.
    i mainly ride thorndon.laindon and danbury and live in basildon.
    ill keep me eye open for any forthcoming rides or pm me if youve got anything planned.

cheers brad
    MADE IN LONDON
  • Hi all,

I would like to tag along on the next ride if thats ok, new to MTB so trying to get my fitness level up.

Neil
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Hi,

Met some guys from Grays over Thorndon this evening it's getting popular.

I ride there usually 3 times a week it's only a 15 minute ride across fields and a bit of road from my farm.

I usually ride about 30k each time in the evening, as already mentioned it'll soon be time for those lights. On Sunday I rode down a green lane on the way back home, under the trees by 8pm it was nearly dark, good job the bike knew where it was going.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • BigJimmyB
    The more the merrier I'd say.

Keep your eyes open for news on the next ride. Or perhaps just let others know via this thread if you are planning to go and if anyone else fancies tagging along.

I'm road bound at the mo as my riding buddies Giant is back with Giant due to a head tube crack, but will be back in the woods soon hopefully.
  • New tyres are in the post, so will be heading out again for a proper ride soon! Been a bit nervous the last few weeks because the rear is practically bare! Payday is a wonderful thing....

Orange Crush!