A regular ride in Essex.

Comments

• Yeti_man
    Yeti_man Posts: 72
    Hi. Are you still doing the evening rides ? If so, is anyone invited and when's the next one ?
    I've not done as much riding as I'd like to have this (so called) summer, so it'll be good to get out another night. I currently ride out on a Tuesday over Hockley woods etc on a ride organised by 'Grips' the MTB shop in Rayleigh.
  • Yeti_man wrote:
    'Grips' the MTB shop in Rayleigh.

Good shop! Got my shoes fom there... :D

Had a great day out at Epping on Saturday. Rode from High Beech down to Wanstead and back again, with a stop for a foot long jumbo-dog-burger-type-thing at Hollow Ponds. The weather was baking hot (31 degrees at one point) and despite both thighs cramping 3 times, the knee held out, courtesy of the knee pain article on this site. A few minor adjustments to cleat and saddle and hey presto! 19 miles in the bag. Looks like Langdon Hills might just be possible now!

Took my ATC2K too, so got quite a bit of footage which I'm editing at the moment. I'll post a link later in the week once it's done...
    Don't you just hate it when people ask rhetorical questions...
  • jpstar
    jpstar Posts: 561
    whens the next one? is anyone interested in meeting tomorrow? im free most of the day last day of holiday b4 i hv to go bck to skool although i need to fix a puncture atm
  • Matt-B
    Matt-B Posts: 112
    Alright all.

I have some time off work soon, and was thinking of checking out Epping Forest - I think from research, it is the nearest place for me, as I live in NW London.

I'll probably cycle there - seems to be about 10-15 miles, so not too bad. Does anyone have any suggestions for where to start, what trails to follow, and how to avoid getting hopelessly lost? I know there are organised rides at the weekend, but I'll be going on a weekday, this time at least.

So yeah, any advice would be welcomed!
  • High Beach is a good place to start from, but as it bucketed down with rain the other day it will still be soaking up in the forest as it has a very slow drain away due to the clay...so lots of mud....We go up there some time from work...Work near J26 of M25 and can cut through park then up nice big hill into Forest...

It's a massive place and loads of tracks every where, nice to bomb around and up down the fire tracks etc...check out this place http://www.epping-forest-mbc.co.uk/ for maps and general locations where to go....

A good ride we do from work sometimes is down the canal tow paths all the way to Thames.....about 30 miles there and back (we start at Enfield Island Village)
    I'm allowed to get as dirty as I want......

Bike: 2008 GT & 2010 MARIN Hawk Hill
  • Hi everybody, hope you are all well.
    Thinking about our ride next week. Is it possible for people to arrive a bit earlier because it is getting dark so early now. i will leave it to you people to decide on times, let me know.
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    I'll have just moved at the weekend but on for the ride on Monday... How about 18:30?
    Could probably make 18:00 as well.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Will probably have to sit this one out I'm afraid. Went to Dalby on Friday and although I made it round the full Red Route I had to nurse the bike back for the last few miles as the mud/sand mixture had penetrated every moving part and it's now a bit dead.
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!
  • cjw
    Next ride's a week on Monday isn't it - 22nd?
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • cjw wrote:
    Next ride's a week on Monday isn't it - 22nd?

CJW yes that is correct 22nd Sept.
    6.00/6.30 those will be good i will send text messages out later for those who do not get the chance to get on here.
  • cjw
    Sunset is at 6:56 on 22nd... so Don't forget lights :wink:
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • I will be riding behind you as i dont have any.
  • Paaaants. Just organised a night out with a nice young lady for that evening, bloody typical. Any more planned ? Obviously they will involve the use of lights, but that just adds to the fun !!! Tearing round in the dark, only being able to see where your pointing, highly recommended, certainly gets the adrenalin flowing !
  • If a Saturday ride at LH is still on in the near future I'll be around in the next few weeks. Got to get my steerer tube cut down next weekend.

In the meantime, here's some footage from my Epping ride a few weeks ago. It's a bit shakey and YT hasn't does a very good job with the compressing. I've had to split it into 3 parts on account of it totalling 20 mins but there are clickable links at the end of each video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTwBU9SY1Vk

Jeez, I should be out today. It's glorious here...!
    Don't you just hate it when people ask rhetorical questions...
  • Buckle - lets go then. meet up and go for a ride. Hadleigh downs ? Thorndon Country park ?
  • See you all over at Hoth !!!
  • cjw
    Moved in on Saturday.

Will head out for Langdon usuall place at 5:30. Its about 7 miles (by bike) so should be there about 6:00 to 6:15 depending on traffic.
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Yep, i'll be heading straight over after work so probably about 6.20.
  • cjw
    Slight change of plan now... I'll be driving as my son (16) want's to come and ride too :shock:
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • cjw
    Good to meet you guys last night. Son is OK this morning after his tumble, wrist a bit sore but nothing else.

Muddylegs... distance was 12 miles.
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Grrr, couldn't make it!

Boss booked a meeting for 5pm and I couldn't duck it so was late home.

Hope you chaps had fun. Sorry to hea someone had an off, hope he's OK.

MuddyLegs - thanks for the call and text - sorry I didn't make it over there.

Now the nights are drawing in I'm up for a weekend ride if anyone fancies it? 10 am-ish on a Saturday/Sunday?
  • cjw
    I could go for 10ish on Sunday. I'll leave 9:30 so should be any time from 10:00 to 10:15 - haven't riden there yet from new place.
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Thanks for organising another ride, Muddylegs. It's like riding a whole new place when it's dark.

CJW, I'm glad your son is ok. You'll have to get him a brighter light for next time!!! :shock:

I won't be able to make a Sunday morning ride for a while.
  • muddylegs
    muddylegs Posts: 485
    edited September 2008
    cjw glad your lad is ok.
    It was good fun riding in the dark with a not so bright lights.
    My bike is covered in SHOG DIT.
    I will get on and organise the next ride as soon as possible. (once i have run it passed the wife) I will make some enquirys first in this section to see if the guys up at cannock will have us.
  • Trip to Cannock sounds good. Used to live in Coventry so it was my localish trail centre, I heard somewhere they've added a new trail since I was last there but if we're stuck (unlikely!) I could show us round the main bits.
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!
  • Trip to Cannock sounds good. Used to live in Coventry so it was my localish trail centre, I heard somewhere they've added a new trail since I was last there but if we're stuck (unlikely!) I could show us round the main bits.

We may take you up on that cheers.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    muddylegs wrote:
    My bike is covered in SHOG DIT.

Better than eating tho eh? !!!

I'll txt you to let you know if we are coming up on Sat/Sun.

Cheers
    BJB
  • cjw
    cjw wrote:
    I could go for 10ish on Sunday. I'll leave 9:30 so should be any time from 10:00 to 10:15 - haven't riden there yet from new place.

Change of plan. I think I'll use Sunday to head over to Danbury - never ridden there before and it'll give me a chance to explore the routes (mostly road from the look of the map_ from Billericay to Danbury on the way.
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Did some exploring this weekend...Went along the Flitch Way between Great Dunmow and Braintree... nice ride but loads of little ankle biting dogs... :x do these owners not care... Any how nice ride...may start next time near Stansted and do whole lot in one go....

Today I rode some of the Essex way, which passes near my cottage...being on the doorstop thought I'll give it a ride...Bone dry at moment but very bumpy and the arms take a pounding and set the forks on soft setting :? :? ....here's some photo's

IMG00230.jpg

IMG00231.jpg

IMG00232.jpg

IMG00235.jpg

Will wait to do the track again after it's been raining a few days...then see how my White steed stays white :P :P
    I'm allowed to get as dirty as I want......

Bike: 2008 GT & 2010 MARIN Hawk Hill
  • Hi folks,
    I'm a newb to this forum and just moved to Essex so am looking to join in on some of the action over the colder months. I heard there was a regular ride at Newport. Do any of you go there?