Orange P7 thread

1234568»

Comments

• Yep, it's a 15".

I'm 5'7" and the 15 felt more comfortable than the 17".

I have since got a new 100mm stem though!
  • Anyone got any pictures of there single speeding their P7's?

post em up here if you do!
    :roll:
  • Looking for help please,

Im Going to order a P7 Pro this week, not sure on options

Should i upgrade from Vanilla Coil to Float AIr Fork for £30

Triggers and Rmech should I upgrade to SDRAM X9 (never used SDRAM stuff)

finally ive always liked hope kit so think should change to Ceramic BB and Hope Headset.

Anyone got any pointers as ive not bought a bike since my Sepecialized Hardrock 2002.

which i still like and rides like new still, but its time for a treat
  • Hey jockney 69 Having researched this for myself I could bang on for ages about the pro’s & con’s of coil v air but I won’t because you can’t look for yourself. Just type “coil forks v air forks” into your browser and you’ll find plenty. However, I found a definite preference for coil up front and air in the rear.

The Orange P7 has been around for more than 10 years and that’s been 10 years of improvements made, so you can bet your bottom dollar that in Orange’s considered opinion they fit, as standard to the P7 pro, the best matching forks and it is a stonking fork.

I have 2 bikes, one with air, the other with coil forks and in my opinion the cheaper coil forks gives the better ride. The function and performance feels so much more supple.
  • scandalousg
    scandalousg Posts: 121
    I now have my P7 back with a few more upgrades, and it's a sweet ride. Took it to Stainburn trail near Harrogate last week and it felt good.

Upgrades are:

Sunline V1 OS Riser bar in black 745mm
    Maxxis High Roller Super Tacky 2.35 on the front
    Maxxis High Roller MaxxPro 60a 2.35 on the rear
    Hope seat clamp
    Avid Juicy 3.5

I feel so much more in control now, specially with the bar and tyres. I know wide bars aren't for all but they suit me great, i have rolled them forward a bit to give more of a reach too.
    The High Rollers gave me a lot more confidence than the mountain kings i had on there before and I managed a day out without any punctures too! Hahaha.

The brakes were a free upgrade due to some problems with the original juicy's and they look good and perform well.

Now to get some more riding planned in...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    After looking at several bikes today, steel hardtails & a couple ally full suspension bikes I think I'm going to order a Orange P7 Pro, it felt so much better than any of the other bikes I test rode, the Charge Duster 8 was impressive for the price but I think the Orange just felt a bit more like it was built to be ridden harder than the Charge. The full suspension bikes at similar prices felt like they were built down to a price where the P7 feels like it has built to be as good as a steel hardtail can be.
    Hopefully I will soon have a shiny new P7.
  • After looking at several bikes today, steel hardtails & a couple ally full suspension bikes I think I'm going to order a Orange P7 Pro, it felt so much better than any of the other bikes I test rode, the Charge Duster 8 was impressive for the price but I think the Orange just felt a bit more like it was built to be ridden harder than the Charge. The full suspension bikes at similar prices felt like they were built down to a price where the P7 feels like it has built to be as good as a steel hardtail can be.
    Hopefully I will soon have a shiny new P7.

Excellent choice sir, even if I do say so myself :D
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    P7 Pro's a good build, but a wee bit pricey for what you get, there's still a couple of shortcuts in the spec. Wheels especially, 317s on Pro2s is a bit of an odd choice, go cheap or go expensive but why do both in the same wheelset? If it's got to be a full build it's a good choice though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    P7 Pro's a good build, but a wee bit pricey for what you get, there's still a couple of shortcuts in the spec. Wheels especially, 317s on Pro2s is a bit of an odd choice, go cheap or go expensive but why do both in the same wheelset? If it's got to be a full build it's a good choice though.
    Also get a cassette that doesn't work with the pro2 hubs don't you?
  • Northwind
    Well. Depends who you trust :lol: Hope say the marking is "cosmetic and won't affect the performance of the hub". But a lot of owners disagree.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I think everyone disagrees :lol:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Is there anything negative anyone can say about the P7?
    I'm buying it to do a bit of everything from all day cross country to throwing it down some steep bumpy trails on the Quantocks, Exmoor, Mendips & Wales.
    I have been told by quite a few people that learning to ride off road on a hardtail will make me a much better rider. I have also been told that steel hardtails give the best ride & the P7 seems to be one of the best steel hardtails.
    Does this all sound about right?
  • Northwind
    Lots of myths and nonsense about this tbh ;) Steel doesn't have a fixed set of characteristics, different steel frames act very differently so it's not that simple. And not everyone agrees on the "learn on a hardtail" thing.

The P7 isn't one of the best steel frames though IMO, it's perfectly decent but it's far too heavy for its strength which marks it down a lot. The geometry is in the right ball park though, it does ride nicely and it's well finished. But in terms of construction it's a real underachiever. Compare with a 456 to see what I mean, the 456 is stronger and lighter.
    Uncompromising extremist