Orange P7 thread

Comments

• Matt-B
    Matt-B Posts: 112
    Pah, got a puncture on the daily commute today! Rubbish. All the punctures I have had have left small yet noticeable holes in the tyres which presumably make the tube even more vulnerable.... Planning another off-road outing in the next few days so might invest in some Trailrakers for the winter and hopefully they will have better puncture protection...

Love the bike still though, the Speed Kings were fine in the dry!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,120
    Without reading 11 pages....... what is the issue with the tyres?
  • Matt-B
    Matt-B Posts: 112
    Haha, to cut it short:

They get a lot of punctures?

But having said that, 2 punctures in 6 months isn't bad, so maybe I can't complain. i'm just going to use the excuse to buy some mud tyres.... Like I need an excuse living in England!
  • tlw1
    Best get a new pump & some spare tubes then!

Thanks for the summary
  • owen908
    owen908 Posts: 170
    it got to the stage where i had a puncture every ride with those conti speed kings.
  • tlw1
    owen908 wrote:
    it got to the stage where i had a puncture every ride with those conti speed kings.

thanks for the info - will invest in some spare tubes & lock up the wheels as much as possible to wear the tyre out!
  • had mine about 6 months now without a puncture- I think they must be counterfeit :D
    not much grip tho.
  • tlw1
    europeandy wrote:
    had mine about 6 months now without a puncture- I think they must be counterfeit :D
    not much grip tho.

you are right about the grip, my first ride was at Llandegla where I thought they were ok, but yesterday in the mud at Hanchurch they had feck all grip
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Hey there P7 guys.

Just been in my LBS talking to the lad about the P7. He was saying that the 2009 P7 is the same price as the 2008 P7 Pro. He had an '08 in and it had various upgrades Easton Bars, Thomson Stem, seat post and Saddle. Avid Brakes Juicey..3 or 5 b, i forget now. This was at £1349.

Is this the case? I was really hoping (forgive the pun) for Hope brakes.
  • There's a lot of talk about the P7s feeling heavy. I am thinking of getting one soon, probably the Pro or maybe a custom build. My question is what are the P7s coming in at weight wise?
    For the S and Pro models please.
  • owen908
    yea , i mean if you were to buy a new 08 p7 you could practically customize the spec how you wanted but because that particular one is standard and pre built thats what you get.if your interested in an 09 p7 pro you could specify hope brakes over the avids.
  • owen908
    There's a lot of talk about the P7s feeling heavy. I am thinking of getting one soon, probably the Pro or maybe a custom build. My question is what are the P7s coming in at weight wise?

I think they weigh in at about 30 lbs.they are a tad heavy on the climbs but they make up for it in the trails with a very direct and 'point and shoot' confidence inspiring ride.

I remenise my first ride on my p7 through a sweeping trail section in macc forest and i remember pedaling flat out,absolutley giving it utter death., stomping the corners through the apex and arriving at the bottom buzzing my tits off! Epic stuff!
    Dont worry about the weight issue just get one and enjoy .
  • 30lbs is a hell of a lot for a XC hardtail imo. I also want the bike for touring as well as trail riding. I guess a custom build could be lighter, I don't need 140mm up front. I reckon Coil Revs would do for me.
  • tlw1
    Weight just falls off on a decent run.
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    matthew h wrote:

You mean....body weight? Or are you losing pieces of it? :lol:
  • tlw1
    Stoo61 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:

You mean....body weight? Or are you losing pieces of it? :lol:

:) Getting old - it was pieces of me
  • plussa
    plussa Posts: 13
    edited January 2009
    orangep7hk6.jpg

Here's my 2008 Orange P7 custom build!

Haven't had time to ride singletrack yet, but I bet it will be different and hopefully refreshing after riding a Stumpy FSR for 4 years...

Frame size 19"
    Revelation Air 426 U-turn
    FSA Orbit II Xl Headset
    DT240s / XC717 Disc wheelset, RWS thru-axle front
    Juicy 7 with Hope rotors
    S-works carbon bars
    Thomson stem and noname seatpost (soon to be Thomson too)
    Some old crap saddle stripped and covered with an old leather jacket
    Drivetrain is a mix of XT, X.9 and X.0
    XTR pedals
    Nokian NBX 2.3" folding, Conti Supersonic tubes

Weighs 26.5 lb as in the pic, more than my Stumpy FSR with the same parts!
  • gorgeous looking bike & definitely in my list as i'm sure I want the extra benefits that steel allows.
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • ewan323
    ewan323 Posts: 15
    ordered a P7S through the bike to work hopefully it will arrive this week, Got a new fork waiting for it, putting on a DT Swiss XMC 130 hopefully it will be a good match for it. How's everyone else getting on with they're P7's.
    P7-1.jpg
  • tlw1
    ewan323 wrote:
    ordered a P7S through the bike to work hopefully it will arrive this week, Got a new fork waiting for it, putting on a DT Swiss XMC 130 hopefully it will be a good match for it. How's everyone else getting on with they're P7's.

Haven't ridden it for a month! Been out on the singlespeed or road bike. But taking it up to Fort William next week for a week - so in between family stuff it will get a decent work out!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ewan323 wrote:
    How's everyone else getting on with they're P7's.

Mines fine though having an easyish time mostly on the towpaths of my commute. Up to 245 miles now. Did christen it properly a couple of weeks back on a run around Clapham, Austwick and Ingleborough - I nearly went to Dalby instead but realised a mountain bike isn't a mountain bike until it has at least once visited proper mountains made of slippy wet limestone!

Do need decent pedals and for some reason the new fork spring is taking ages to arrive (the fitted one is too stiff for my light weight!).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • plussa
    plussa Posts: 13
    Damn! I recently changed my P7 to singlespeed mode, and now I'm finally starting to understand the brilliance of this bike! I'ts now amazingly light (10,8kg as in the pic), totally silent and just puts a wide grin on my face every time I ride it. With a light wheelset and MK Supersonic tyres it accelerates like a cyclocross bike. Wow! :shock: orangep7ss600px.jpg
  • ewan323
    ewan323 Posts: 15
    Well getting mine delivered tomorrow at some point, so i'll be changing out the fork and getting my spd's on to it as soon as it come's through the door then out for a ride! Still got an extra £100 to spend on accessories as we get 10% on top of the bike valve voucher, so thinking about some XTR shifters. Got to spend the voucher in Halfords though.
    P7-1.jpg
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    Looking to build a P7 for some twisted fun
  • owen908
    My only gripe is the price increase on the bike since this time last year when i bought a P7s for 799 - now they are 999!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    They don't do a frame only deal for these do they? It'd probably be on my list of contenders despite the weight if they did :(
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Oh, I didn't know that, looked on a few retailers and never saw it. Must be going blind. Must be some truth in that old wive's tale...

£380? Ah well. That's off the list anyway!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • There's a lot of talk about the P7s feeling heavy. I am thinking of getting one soon, probably the Pro or maybe a custom build. My question is what are the P7s coming in at weight wise?

There's a review in the this month's MBR on the S, weight is stated as 29.5lbs pounds on that.
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    Had my P7 Pro for 9 months now and still very pleased. I have had no issues or problems so far. Have made some modifications and dropped a bit of weight but nothing to write home about.
    Its had some rough treatment this year and taken it no problem. Had a few days away last month to Snowdonia and done the Marin trail, Penmachno and Snowdon itself 8)
    My mates all had full sus bikes which i must admit made a difference coming down Snowdon as it is mega rocky. Tyres were running 50 psi and i still got a pinch flat :shock:

All in all its a great bike but cant help feeling that a full sus is the way forward next.