Orange P7 thread

Comments

• ylawayjdp
    ylawayjdp Posts: 44
    The Pro standard spec comes with Avid 5 160mm but I went for the Hope upgrade pack. It sounded like a good deal. £100 for:
    Hope Upgrade Pack Upgrade to Hope Floating rotor ,Headset,Seat Clamp and Wheel QR’s £100
    ?????

Just spoke to the shop today and apparently it didn't arrive today on the delivery so they are expecting it tomorrow. Thursday I may actually get to ride the bloody thing.

Looking at it now I wonder if I should have gone for the performance pack but I replacing the parts as I see fit later might be more fun in the long run. It's a good job I have been in work these last few day any time at home and I would have been crawling the walls with anticipation.
  • Bigmiksears
    Bigmiksears Posts: 51
    sitting here waiting for exams is not a winner. Alot of time spent looking out of the windows in the library dreaming of trails. What was worse i looked up for a split second and saw a group of 20-30 riders heading out for the night. This was 2hrs before i left the library at 9 o'clock (people say students are lazy, hmm). I think i will die inside if i found out that mine hadn't arrived on time. It does make me worry as it did sound like abit of a big ask for the guy in the shop to ask orange to get it in time. He said ring up before you drop in to make sure everything is as planned. *FINGERS CROSSED* ARGH! :S :S
  • ylawayjdp
    My P7 pro arrived today, went out to Epping forest. Had an absolute blast was smiling from ear to ear all the way round. Only managed 3 hours out there this evening as I had to be back for a gig with the missus and her mates this eve.

This is the first real hi spec bike I have owned having previously had a Claude Butler Rock 2004 ( Very light, moderate spec, awful fork but very good for distance and commuting) This has now become my work bike switched to slicks and I'm thinking about putting a rigid fork on the front as the Suntour fork is just shocking having ridden my P7's Fox fork.

The difference in handling was amazing and my confidence to tackle difficult obstacles grew 10 fold. Last time I went to Epping I stacked it loads due to conditions (was really wet) also had just started using clipless which was a lesson in itself. Today only nearly went off once probably due to practice with the clipless pedals and also the bike just rolls over everything.

Simply amazing, off to Hove tomorrow for some South Downs fun!
  • Matt-B
    Matt-B Posts: 112
    I am jealous!

I ordered my P7 S about 2 weeks ago, still waiting for Cyclesurgery to deliver it. I am 6'10" but opted for the 17" as I like a fair bit of standover clearance. I can't wait - it is such a pain having to wait so long to get it - I spent long enough trying to decide which bike to get!

It's going to be such a change for me - never used disc brakes before, been riding an ancient Scott F/S rig, so really excited about getting a new up-to-date bike!

Also been looking at replacing my road hack....... This bike buying lark is a little addictive.
  • Bigmiksears
    haha as i am!!! getting mine a week today but also been waiting for a good 2 weeks now. From what ive heard/so i believe, it takes so long due to the fact each order has to go to Orange specifically. They only produce around 4000 bikes a year so its quite a privilaged club in comparison to specialized, trek etc. But when you consider all the options that are given to you when you purchase the bike - ther is alot of combinations of spec to go with it.

If you have just got a P7 get your pics up of where u have taken it and any changes you have made - would be cool to see them in action!

Cheers, Bigmiksears
  • Bigmiksears
    just had a question that sprung to mind as im in the less than one week to go period until i can pick up my p7. What are the pedals like that you get with them - all i get ont he website is "flats" would any p7 owners care to elabourate? Its not something that i took note of when riding the bike unfortunately

Cheers
  • europeandy
    europeandy Posts: 118
    I think you just get what the shop has in thats cheap. The pedals on mine are shite and will be the first upgrade, other than that its an absolutely cracking bike.
  • ylawayjdp
    My p7 pro came with standard flat Blacks which I am going to keep but only for if I go to a trail center and play on the north shore. I think clipless will be asking for trouble there.

I didn't even put the flats on when my bike arrived I had already purchased CB Candies for it.
  • john_
    john_ Posts: 26
    is there enough space for bar ends / has anyone put them on their p7?
  • ylawayjdp
    There would be sufficient room on the standard bars, but you would have to move the components further in to the center. It comes with Lock on grips which are brilliant, 1st time I have used them.

What I would say is, as someone who has used bar ends before for leverage. The p7 pro climbs beautifully, the xt mechs and race face cranks and cogs work fantastically. If I were you I wouldn't use the bar ends straight away give it a few weeks and go on some technical climbs. One thing I found, is that in the granny ring on steep loose climbs you have to keep weight on the rear yet hunker down over the handlebars to maintain good contact with the front wheel. Still I managed all but the most horrendous assents and that was down to poor technique rather than the limits of the bike.

I also found that the Tyres have held up pretty well, compared to what other owners have said. I will probably change them but not until July when I go off on a London to Cardiff sponsored cycle.
  • Bigmiksears
    just thought id let you guys know i got my P7 tday - im cream crackered but will inform of my revelation in the not to distant future.

Bigmiks
  • owen908
    owen908 Posts: 170
    just thought id let you guys know i got my P7 tday - im cream crackered but will inform of my revelation in the not to distant future.

Bigmiks

Well youve had it for a few days now ; what do you think?
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Ordered my G3 today....

When the Cycle To Work voucher comes through it will be mine!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • owen908
    Cool. The G3 has pretty much the same specification as the P7 apart from the steel frame.

DSCF2691.jpg

DSCF2680.jpg
  • switchback18
    switchback18 Posts: 617
    edited May 2008
    Usually it's cheaper to buy a better bike than to upgrade it later - for myself i'd go for the p7, I like steel - you can crash it & dent it without so much risk of disintegration! But the G3's are ace bikes for the money - we use them as rental bikes. Anyone who really likes the G3 but wants better forks can upgrade anyway. Be quick if you want one tho - spoke to orange the other day & they've run out of G3s for this year.

Also, weight's not always the biggest issue - I had a well lightweight Dave Yates bike (anyone remember?!) that was about 22lbs coz it had rigid forks, but when I eventually caught up & bought a DMR Switchback & built it for strength, it was faster accelerating than the Yates - by a long way. I was amazed. Now I mostly ride an orange 5 - respect to orange - I reckon one of the best bikes ever...

www.chasingtrails.com
  • Rich Hcp
    Be quick if you want one tho - spoke to orange the other day & they've run out of G3s for this year.

www.chasingtrails.com

Phew! Good job they've reserved one that they have in stock! 8)
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • I've just got my order confirmed for a P7S on our cycle2work scheme (sorry if that makes any of you who paid full price feel sick :p ) and those pics really make me feel like I made the right choice. I think I'm going to get a set of the same tyres as well...

As I got it at a discount price I'm tempted to spend out a couple of hundred on upgrades (the P7 Pro was just out oft the £1000 limit) but am not sure what to go for. I was thinking more on changing the groupsets instead of the forks, has anyone done this or have any recommendations?
  • ylawayjdp
    I would say the mechs and chainset would be good upgrades if you can afford them. If available the hope hubs are worth the upgrade. As for the suspension the fork upgrade is definitely a good option but it depends on how much money you have to spend.

I didn't look at what the cost of upgrades were on the P7 S. In all honesty the P7 S felt good anyway when I test rode it I only went with the Pro as I found it discounted. Why not wait till the parts wear out and then replace them as required. Maybe buy some new kit to wear on the bike trail shorts and a new lid always help with comfort. You can also get those bits discounted as part of the cycle to work scheme.
  • Bigmiksears
    Ive just got my P7 i went for the Fork upgrade - ive also ridden a P7pro with performance upgrade pack and what not on - retailed at £1600 or there abouts so all poshed up. The comparison between the two is obviously changing response, weight, but essentially this is what your paying for. Im glad i upgraded my forks - ther gorgeous to ride and can take quite abit of stick - as ive been trying to do over the last few days - also lighter than the toras. The fork upgrade is £140 as apposed to getting the standard bike with Tora's then spending additional £300 for the forks at a later date - well work the upgrade now.

And to all regarding my new bike - i love it so very much. Its balanced and lovely - ive been on a Life guarding course for the last week so have been very busy and very tired - still managed to get out - will give further views and opinions another post however.

Cheers

Bigmik,

p.s. - fully qualified Life Guard - saving lives in a town near you soon :P
  • can anyone help? am trying to up load pics, and fiding it very frustrating lol :roll:
  • Rich Hcp
    You need to download them in to a Photobucket type account (It's free)

Then you paste in the IMG link from there
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • owen908
    can anyone help? am trying to up load pics, and fiding it very frustrating lol :roll:

email them to me and ill put them up for you

owen908@btinternet.com
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    can anyone help? am trying to up load pics, and fiding it very frustrating lol :roll:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12572310
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • indysmith
    indysmith Posts: 276
    Do you guys reckon a P7 would be okay with 100mm forks? (my reba race forks).
    I ask because I'm very attracted to a P7 frame, but they seem to be for longer forks generally, however i do seem to remember a 'what mountain bike' review (i think!) saying that they preferred the forks set to about 110mm for the best geometry.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I would say save some money and get an Inbred frame!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • ylawayjdp
    The p7 has been designed to work best with 130-140mm travel. If you take a look at the orange website it shows the recomended travel for each of their frames. I think the fox forks that come with the p7 pro are awesome and the steering is still spot on. If you really want to use the forks maybe look at the on one 456 it has more flexability for fork length I think. Also the cotic soul is an option I think. Though I may be wrong.
  • owen908
    Had my P7 for over a month now and each ride it feels more and more connected to me than the previous ride. My only gripe is that the forks dont seem to rebound quick enough. I have the setting on the quickest rebound but it still feels like the suspension cant rebound quick enough down fast bumpy surfaces.
  • ylawayjdp
    did you get the rock shocks with your p7?
  • owen908
    Yea the Tora 318