Orange P7 thread

Comments

• ylawayjdp
    ylawayjdp Posts: 44
    I imagine you have already played with the rebound and assorted knobs and whistles does it have the right weight spring for you? Is the air pressure set up properly?

If not what are your thoughts on swapping it out. May be a little early right? The vanillas are very good if you do go down that route.
  • owen908
    owen908 Posts: 170
    Yea i had a little play with the settings. There is a little switch under the fork which lets you select the speed of the rebound. I usually have it on the quickest setting but maybe i need to change that.How do i find out about the air pressure being set up properly? It is a little early to upgrade maybe, but kinda wish i had gone for the upgrade option with the vanillas....
  • Kong
    Kong Posts: 757
    i really jealous of you all with your new bikes. i have been trying to find a New XC bike and as soon as i find one. i struggle to find any where that has them in stock in my size. :evil:
    the P7 looks like a really good choice. and is making me question my decision on the bike have chosen.
  • owen908
    Which Bike have you chosen Kong?
  • ylawayjdp
    I think you mght find all the information on pressures on the rock shocks website. I've never changed the pressure in forks myself. I wouldn't write the forks off yet I imagine when you get the settings dialled they will be great. They are a very popular fork, people wouldn't use them if they were useless.
  • owen908
    Yea iv'e been having a play about with them whilst on the trail and think i have found some good settings for the forks.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It takes a while for the fork to bed in too - you'll find they'll get smoother and faster over time.
  • ylawayjdp
    Any one else noticed a loosening of the rear drop out screws? Post ride I can move the whole thing back and forth. Usually happens on one side rather than both, and usually after I have given the bike a hammering over single track.

Solutions?
    Locktite?
  • supersonic
    Yes - the WMB testers did, though Orange put it down to a wrongly specced screw and a one off.
  • ylawayjdp
    I remember reading their review but the screws actually sheared in that instance, am I right? The bolts are not damaged they just keep coming loose.
  • supersonic
    I think they reported both instances. There was another thread on this somewhere worth searching for.
  • ylawayjdp
    cool will look for it
  • yeh i have the same issue - but i knew it woul dbe an issue before i got the bike. if u keep on top of it its not an issue at all - quick check before u set off an thers nothing to worry about. Its to do with the braking forces applied to the frame going against the sliding drop outs. Your frame is pushing forwards whilst the wheel is trying to pull the other direction. Thus if u look at the dropouts they dont help this matter.
  • ylawayjdp
    I was aware it was an issue but I thought it was just down to that set of bolts on the wmb test bike. I have been doing the same as you with regards to regular checks. Might email Orange see if they have any suggestions.
  • Kong
    Kong Posts: 757
    edited June 2008
    owen908 wrote:
    Which Bike have you chosen Kong?

i have just ordered a Cube Pro Ltd as i could not get hold of a G3 any where.
  • a question for the P7 owners - who still have the conti speed kings on the bike (which i would like to say are not all that bad - ive only had one incident whereby i bunny hopped short an smacked my rear wheel on the lip of a chicken wire covered bridge - causing 4 holes in the inner tube - other than this they have been faultless - if a lil crappy in the wet) but back to my question - what pressures do people run in ther tyres - i was fiddleing with mine the other day to see what suited - just curious to kno what other people run them at - cheers
  • owen908
    I ditched the speed kings after 4 rides. I had the same problem with the punctures. If i hit a rock, or a tiny piece of glass/ thorn they would puncture. They has no grip and are lethal in the wet. They are good for commuting to the pub but not for off road use. I have the Panaracer Xfire Pro's and i havent had a puncture in months (touch wood). Ive pulled thorns, glass out of them . They are tough and the grip is awesome.
  • ylawayjdp
    I find their ok except they have to be run at high pressure to prevent pinch flats. My back tyre has suffered from this twice now. They are getting changed to Panaracer's soon. To answer your question I run them at 40 due to the pinch flats.
    They are fast rolling mind.
  • i have had this same problem with the drop out but only when i have been off road, i first noticed a clunk under breaking and now do regular cheaks when out riding and have had no problems since. only other thing is the crappy head set has already started to rust and squick, (think i wash it to much to be honest) does any one know if the 1 1/8 hope head set with sealed bearing will fit a p7, thanks
  • 210iotw.jpg

finally managed to figure it out, what a chore!
  • bike must have fallen in!
  • ylawayjdp
    I have a hope headset in my P7, was part of the hope upgrade pack from orange. Not sure what the size is though. I presume it must be the one you mention though.
  • owen908
    How are the Fox forks on the P7 Pro?
  • yer the tyre pressure i run is 35 - anywhere near 40+ i fine the back rides really harshly - i like the slightly squidgy rear.

Owen - do u work for panaracer? :P haha only messin - always good to hear about nice kit.

The conti's havnt been that bad - except one problem thus far. Im in no financial position to start buying new rubbers - but im not sure if i would thus far. If i wentout int he rain everyday that would defo be a different matter.

Loving the bike though - out on it most days now - really getting a feel for it an confidence is being boosted on every ride. The drop outs can be abit mischevious - as mentioned about - does anyone else notice a vibration type shuddering sound when applying the rear brake in a non-skid type fashion? Mine can shudder around quite abit - a little discomforting at times - anyone have a heads up on this?

Cheers
  • owen908

Owen - do u work for panaracer? :P haha only messin - always good to hear about nice kit.

Loving the bike though - out on it most days now - really getting a feel for it an confidence is being boosted on every ride. The drop outs can be abit mischevious - as mentioned about - does anyone else notice a vibration type shuddering sound when applying the rear brake in a non-skid type fashion? Mine can shudder around quite abit - a little discomforting at times - anyone have a heads up on this?

Cheers

Lol i dont work for panaracer unfortunalty! Im just really impresseed with the amoutn of grip and protection they offer. Im not sure they are the cheapest tyre around but hey you get what you pay for.

Regarding the shuddering sound yes i do experience that and i fear its the rear dropouts or something due to the issue Orange experienced with the incorrect bolts fitted. however they still seem tight and there isnt any play in them so im assuming its fine. Its due for a service tomorrow so ill ask the tech guys and see what they think and report back.

Anyone notice how heavy the bike is when you have to thow it over your shoulder to carry?
  • yer ive got a service coming up soon - give us an update to what they have to say an il do my best to do the same. Be interesting to kno if anyone went for a brake upgrade and doesnt experience such issues to see if its an Avid juicy problem.

And on the weight issue - god yes - lugging it uphill fullstop is a chore. Im also into road riding and its so strange lifting the P7 then lifting my road bike - just find it very strange.

I love the bike though - i need to get it into my head its a bruiser - in a sense designed not to go over little mounds of mud - but through them :twisted: muhahaha

cheers
  • owen908 wrote:
    How are the Fox forks on the P7 Pro?

really nice, seem to soak every thing up okay just a shame i have no lock out for going to work, when i was looking i tried a p7 one and a g3 the g3 tora semed a lot smoother than the p7 one and there the same sus, must be down to the set up, a little tinkering and you'll find how you like it im sure!
  • OWEN 908
    can you tell me if there was two bands of red on your panaracer tyres? have just bought some yellow 1s and don't wanna fit them if im gonna se the red bead? or was you bead black? thanks
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I'd get some thread lock on the dropout bolt sharpish, it'll just get worse if you accept it and keep tightening every ride.

It does make me giggle this was strongly denied as being a design issue in that other Orange thread yet seems to happen to the majority of P7's. :wink:

Oh and Speed Kings aren't really built for grip, all brands have similar models nowadays, general trail tyres sound like what you're after. Conti Verticals or Mountain Kings might suit the bike a bit better. Ignitors or High Rollers from Maxxis. Nobby Nics from Schwalbe. Pick a brand, they all do a similar range nowadays :wink: