Chelmsford, Essex - it's a bit flat

123457»

Comments

• tobh
    tobh Posts: 103
    we ride it...

although we ride it usually really early in the morning or in the evening.

if i were to see anyone I'd stop my bike and let them pass.

some people have been taking the signs down and chucking them on the floor - this is just littering.

I would suggest we continue to ride it but be respectful.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Not a bad idea, I always get off if there are people about on any ride, they seem to be quite gratefull they aren't getting showered in mud!
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    its not a bad habbit but riding where your not allowed is!
    you'll ruin it for the rest of us!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • tobh
    Not really.

I ride really early or really late and never come across anyone else. Which is one of the main reasons I ride at those times.
  • VWsurfbum
    the reason its been shut off if you read the notice was because of the errosion that the bikes were causing to the "walkways"
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • tobh
    and I also think to myself 'why should they stop me riding my bike'. The land may be National Trust but as far as I am concerned it's mine too. I pay my taxes. My ancestors fought wars and built this country I will ride my bike wherever I can.

I am not going to stop riding in Danbury just cos the local toffs don't like it. I am using the land; our land. I just remain courteous, get off my bike and give everyone else right of way. what more can I do ?
  • tobh
    and as for natural erosion; wherever we ride our bikes we eat away at the ground and cause erosion. if we didn't like eroding the land we would not ride our bikes. Just cos someone has decided that erosion is not allowed in Blakes as opposed to anywhere else is daft.

Erosion is happening cos I am using it.. Once it gets bad I will find a new trail (and start eroding that). Erosion is a natural result of people using the ground I guess...
  • VWsurfbum
    i agree, and i wish there wasnt these people complaining about other people enjoying woods that are there for everyone to enjoy.
    Its strange, i'm moving to danbury from brentwood in the next few days and the attitude of some of the dog walkers are shocking! i have a dog, he loves coming riding with me, but the ones i come accross in danbury are so GRRRRRRR
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Is blakes wood the one that gets the bluebells in it everywhere every year? If it's the one I'm thinking of I went there with the missus for a walk, it does look awesome for the bike though....
  • I have got to be honest I did consider riding it anyway, but don't want to be one of the minority who spoil it for the majority, but on the other hand, whey don't they stop walkers using and let bikers use it? Why is assumed that we do the most damage?
  • VWsurfbum
    Bikers=Guilty.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWSurfbum wrote:
    Bikers=Guilty.

I am new to the sport and I have found that to be the way, and it really annoys me, and all mtbers I should imagine.

Before I started riding I used to use various place locally to walk my dogs, and never thought mtbers were a problem, seems strange being on the other side of the fence and experiencing the seeming hatred of mtbers!
  • tobh
    (bump)
  • tobh
    Where is Heather Hills in Danbury ?

I think it runs parallel to North Hill but I am unsure how to enter it..

Anyone ???
  • VWsurfbum
    tobh wrote:
    Where is Heather Mills in Danbury ?

I am unsure how to enter it..

There you go, fixed that for you? :shock:

This shows how to get in but not what its called?
    http://www.everytrail.com/fullscreen.php?trip_id=255136
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • tobh
    Thanks.

But where is Heather Hills on this map ?

(also you seem to have not ridden whole sections we ride in..)
  • Bump and copious amounts of coughing as the dust settles...

I've got an overnight in Chelmsford on the 9th of December and find the possibility of an evening spent in one of Mr Brewster's budget travellers' rests a little dull.

So, if anyone with a local knowledge wants to do a nightride then the beers will be on me afterwards.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • VWsurfbum
    What night is it? If it's a tuesday I do a ride in fryerning not far from chelmo, nothing too technical or challenging
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Tis a Thursday. Any good for you?
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • VWsurfbum
    Remind me closer the time, I'm sure Ill be able to accomodate you :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Ooh, err matron. :lol:
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Booking my 'accomodation' tomorrow.
  • VWsurfbum
    sandy hill
    I was thinking maybe doing Danbury instead?
    Anyone else about?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Happy to do Danbury, whatever and wherever that is. My course is due to finish at five on Thursday and I'll need to get changed of course.

What time are you hoping to ride from?
  • VWsurfbum
    I think the earliest I'll be able to make is 7:30, it doesn't matter it's just as dark then as it is at any other time. I'll either give you a map of how to get there or meet you on route and follow me there?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum
    Dude i'm still dying with the plague, if i dont see signicant inprovements by wednesday morning i'm gonna have to pull the plug, sorry. :cry:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Are we on for tomorrow night?
  • VWsurfbum
    Yeah assuming there's not another snow fall, looking forward to it! I haven't been out properly in ages because of this plague thing, but I'm ok now yay!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    Hi, just discovered bikeradar and this thread. Have ridden Lingwood common and danbury common a couple of times and looking forward to trying Pheasantswood. Did Blakes Wood a couple of years ago, really good fun, sorry to hear of the aggro up there now. I've a couple of routes here on the other side of town - the Hylands one is pretty obvious but it is good along the back next to the golf course. You can string these two routes together to make a longer one. I'll try to add more when I get time - and can work out where I went!
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=2 ... 2ded&msa=0
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=2 ... 2457&msa=0
    Cheers
    Phil