Chelmsford, Essex - it's a bit flat

Comments

• RichGtB
    RichGtB Posts: 23
    By taking away access, it is most likely going to drive the more rebelious ones away to other areas. Look what happened after they mowed down and leveled 'treasure island' in the common. The cyclists just moved to another part of the common, and where treasure island used to be is now just a wide open space / eye sore which is taking a very long time to recover (12+ years and counting). What a great decision by the council / trust / whatever. They should have just let it be.

Maybe they should just designate an area geared towards cyclists, and let us maintain the trails etc like some people already are....or maybe have a permit based system paid for yearly that helps the upkeep of the areas we use. It doesnt have to be much. Yes we shoudnt have to pay, but if it gives us hassle free riding when we want, it could be an option. Just my 2 cents worth.

I agree that the less 'courteous' riders are spoiling it for the rest of us, just wish we could do something about it.

Probably a good idea to avoid Blakes, I have noticed lots of people about during the day when i pass it. Especially during the day on Saturdays.
  • explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    reminds me of when I was younger and a few of use were trying to get a skateboard ramp in the village.
    I was on the council and getting the kids to do fund raising but in the end it was thought to be better to spend the money on camaras to catch kids skating where they shouldn't be rather than giving them somewhere to do it, Two days later there was a pile of cctv camaras outside the vilage:) but the kid stopped skating and got in to getting pissed up and smokeing da herb, i'm not i'm not saying that a ramp would of turnned them in to little angels but it would of given them something else to do.
  • Well i've been searching the net for details about the planned and implimented changes at Blakes wood and can't find anything. But the new fences are up in the car park with new signs to put you off. I have been riding over Danbury for many years and even got local papers down to interview us regarding the flattening of treasure island. the walden at the time was very confrontational but then again i suppose we did take certain liberties that i can't go in to on here but we did make ourselves the target for revenge.... well they won, they ripped the life out of what was a fairly pleasent area. I ride all over Danbury all year long and have never had a problem with anyone over there. you may get the odd comment but i turn a blind eye like i do on the by ways on my bikes and cars. My concern is that by enforcing couteous people not to ride through the woods in non peak hours the paths will soon become very over grown as the rups and boats have after the nerc bill went through thanks the the rambliars. So the well behaved cyclist will no longer be on hang around the woods to guide lost walkers at dusk out and give a certian degree of safety and reassurance to other users of the woods. These cyclists will now be replaced by the type that don't want to abide by rules, shout and swear at confrontation if not worse and have very little to loose. It's just a shame that the minority have ruined it for the masses. i have never seen groups of more than 10 people maybe and it's on a very rare occaision that this happens. I would suggest a curfew for riders between 10 am and 6pm at weekends though this would never work..... so what happens now... many of these paths have not been legal to ride on anyway for many years so nothing other than some new signs and a bit of fence has changed, the police are not going to enforce it, they don't tend to turn up when a real crime has been commited, they are not goign to turn up because someone has ridden on a foot path. So nothing changes, just continue to be polite and use the woods in harmony.
    just my two peneth
    An old fat has been, possibly never was
  • muddybaker
    muddybaker Posts: 35
    Hi, new here just read randyvegas's post and totally agree, sadly only got to ride blakes twice. danbury is a great place to ride and its sad the local council dosen't recognise this. I live in leigh on sea and it has its share of anti bike attitude. hard to believe they are holding the olympic mountainbiking just down the road at hadleigh park. thanks pete for your route it was a great day out.
    one life live it!
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Its a real shame blakes has been blocked off, been riding danbury for years and we used that part as a bit of a training loop/time trial to see how far off the pace we were before doing a wales/more chalaging trip.

On the subject of www.danburycycles.co.uk i popped in there the other sunday and what top nice blokes in there and had some very nice looking La Pierre bikes. (very tempted)

Anyone else doing the Mud sweat and gears race there next month?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • ccc
    ccc Posts: 193
    After 3 months of issues with my bike, I finally got around to trying out Pete's route today and I really enjoyed it. I'm gutted that I didn't get to try out Blake's when the chance was there.

I did notice that mostly around Pheasanthouse/Scrubs Wood, there are a few no cycling signs posted about. Has anyone had any issues riding there? I only bumped into a couple of dog walkers and when I said hello they all seemed pleasant and courteous enough.
    Eyes on the prize.
  • VWsurfbum
    ccc wrote:
    After 3 months of issues with my bike, I finally got around to trying out Pete's route today and I really enjoyed it. I'm gutted that I didn't get to try out Blake's when the chance was there.

I did notice that mostly around Pheasanthouse/Scrubs Wood, there are a few no cycling signs posted about. Has anyone had any issues riding there? I only bumped into a couple of dog walkers and when I said hello they all seemed pleasant and courteous enough.
    I rode in there sunday and yes saw lots of dog walkers and they were alvery pleasnt. again it comes back to the few may ruin it for the many?
    good little trails in there i thought? i met some local guys and asked about any other routes and they pointed some more, and we ended up doing some great trails down to the river, then back up north hill towards the common which was just about the finish of my legs, but had to do a couple runs down the bomb holes. (still the best part of danbury)
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • explosifpete
    I'm going on rides every weds evening at 7 leaving from the danbury cycles shop if anyone fancys joining me
  • VWsurfbum
    I'm going on rides every weds evening at 7 leaving from the danbury cycles shop if anyone fancys joining me
    is this the organised one that the shop are running? i meant to ask them on sunday when i popped in if it was up and running?
    PS i cant this week as i'm viewing a house in danbury :)
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • explosifpete
    sort of, I run the shop so it was most likey me you spoke to if you came in.
    It is a shop ride but its very informal
  • VWsurfbum
    LOL how funny, probably chatted to you a few times, was it you who suggested that i enter the Mud sweat and gears series?
    Been training for it but not going as good as i would like, 3 more weeks to go and a little nervous!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • explosifpete
    It's quite a friendly race, but I went round the course the other day and it is a killer!
  • VWsurfbum
    i didnt think we could ride there until race day?
    or do you get special treatment?
    Are you riding it wednesday night?

Explain "Killer" :shock: :cry:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • explosifpete
    I'm sure I could show you the lap if you like.
    I tend to go else where as its more fun tho
  • explosifpete
    oh and but killer I mean it is really hard work and there is very few places where you can take it easy (if your going for the win that is :D )
  • ccc
    ccc Posts: 193

I'd be really up for this, but I've only just got back into riding after a while of too much drinking/relaxing/generally being lazy and my run around the route on Monday exposed how unfit I am. Especially after riding from Chelmsford.

When I've got the stamina up a bit I'll definitely be keen on coming along.
    Eyes on the prize.
  • VWsurfbum
    Pete, we had our local ride last night and a unaminus decision was to join you all next week!
    so you will at least 4 possibly 6 more with you next wednesday night!

are you riding sunday or are you working?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    May be of interest to know that the forrestry commision have marked out the area which is used for jumping with warning signs for pedestrians/dog walkers and there is a sign in the middle detailling the planned trial of the area
  • VWsurfbum
    :shock: Trial for what?
    :( please dot take that away!!!!!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • explosifpete
    i'll be working till 4 on sunday but I was thinking about going out on my new road bike :D

Look forward to seing you on wednesday, I had to give it a miss tonight due to a rather embarising reason,all I will say is that sweat, cycling and everyday shorts aren't a good idea :oops:
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    VWSurfbum wrote:
    :shock: Trial for what?
    :( please dot take that away!!!!!

i think the idea is to trial not having walkers in the area which to be fair is working wonders the last two times i went down there i didn't see any.
    be down there on sunday too :) i'll be the one on his arse laughing after failing another jump lol
  • VWsurfbum
    is the ride happening tomorrow?
    if so i'll be there ready to get muddy! if its anything like it was here in brentwood then the'l be soime standing muddy puddles.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • explosifpete
    I wont be as i'm not feeling so good today
  • VWsurfbum
    I wont be as i'm not feeling so good today
    oh dear, rash not cleared up yet then?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • hi i was thinking of joining a wednesday night ride - are you guys still doing these and if so what sort of distance and time are they over, i don't own any lights so don't want to get stuck but the wife has allowed me to use wed. evenings
  • lawl
    lawl Posts: 132
    Just for anyone searching this post, I heard that galleywood common has had all its jumps flatened/fenched off by the local auths.
  • tobh
    tobh Posts: 103
    Galleywood Common - has had a fence put in to stop access *out* of the first 'bomb hole' if you are coming from the road.. However I am sure that some one (not me) will treat this as a challenge and jump over the fence... It's a pretty stupid place to put a fence for every reason.

IMO Galleywood is pretty rubbish anyway.