Chelmsford, Essex - it's a bit flat

Comments

• lawl
    lawl Posts: 132
    tobh, have they changed the area by the pub as well?
  • tobh
    tobh Posts: 103
    no. i dont think they have put anything up by the pub..

i rode thru there last thursday evening; it was clear then.
  • Galleywood Common - has had a fence put in to stop access *out* of the first 'bomb hole' if you are coming from the road.. However I am sure that some one (not me) will treat this as a challenge and jump over the fence... It's a pretty stupid place to put a fence for every reason.

Glad someone else has noticed this!

To be honest, stupid little twonks digging in stupid places have had this coming for a while, the unfortunate bit is that it spoils it for us all.

With the exception of a few overly keen rambler types, people have been largely accepting of the established jump + riding areas at Galleywood for a long time.

I've been riding the dirt jumps and singletrack there for 10 years at least and in the last year I've really noticed the amount of stupid little jumps that have been built all over the place, with no thought as to how it will affect drainage, ruin existing jumps and ruin existing paths used by walkers etc.

On the hill side besides Margaretting Hill near the nursery, there are several large jumps, a berm and a f***ing massive hole that has presumabley been used for the mud to create them. It looks really ugly, and there is tonnes of rubbish around it. I took a bag full home of it myself because as a rider I was embarrassed by it and didn't want to be associated with it. Why the f**k did they just dig a big hole in the middle for the mud instead of using their brains and keeping the whole thing discreet? Now it will be knocked down for sure by a walker.

It's only a tiny bit of land up there, but there used to be enough to keep me busy for a few hours. Now I can hardly be arsed to go up there.

Anyway, moan over! If you see me up there, give me a shout! I'm on a black Commencal with silver Pikes. :D
  • Passed through yesterday. The bit running down margaretting hill had mostly been flattened again and there was loads of rubbish dumped all round it.

Berm and the little jumps and the bottom looked okay tho.

Looks like the road jump/drop in on the way over to the pub had been reinstated :D
  • Hey all,

im from chelmsford and although im only 13 i find myself some very neat trails nearby!
    my normal route go's past sandford mill and down graces walk (its basicly a mile long dirt path) and then go through lingwood common. Lingwood is great, me and my friend have found some very long and fast trails through there but you just have to be carefull of walkers. then we ride to danbury common where although people may argue there are designated trails, we make our own ones that last 30mins/40mins. Also theres a massive forest, not sure about its name but its huge and is near the top of north hill (or at the top of colam lane) its got some exciting downhill trails and trails that will really improve you handling skills. Im sure if you just get a big map out theres all sorts of trails hidden away that are probably better than we all imagine! :)
  • tobh
    Hello

I am bored of Danbury. We ride the same route all the time.. Doing my head in.

Very lazy of me, but does anyone have any online maps you can point me at ??

Our routes take us thru all the different commons but there's got to be more than what we're doing.

Or here's a an idea; what is everyone's favourite bit ? Mine is the downhill off camber bit down to the stream... Which is on the common before the golf course.

Anyway..
  • tobh, do you have your route on a gps, would like to try it. Ive got an old route done by RichGtb put up about 18 months ago. It still has blakes on so you have to change a bit. I can send u that. But would be interested in other routes too. Maybe explosifpete could list them on his web site.

http://www.danburybikes.com/
  • if you want some good trails and you can travel its worth going to thetford forest cycle centre theres 2 main tracks there along with many bomb holes and the 'beast'. also a bit closer there is bike centre in Woodbridge suffolk its only just past ipswich so only takes hour form chelmsford., but i dont know what there like as my hub came loss jsut as i took my bike out the car damn typical teh one tool i didnt have!!

there is a clear route from chelmsford to danbury heading down the road past teh sewage works and go under the a12 theres a foot bridge across the river then one field and a private track which is a bridal way all the way to danbury brings youout on riffhams chase.
  • tobh
    Yep. I have ridden Thetford countless times (was there a month ago and I was a little bored).

Tunstall Forest near Woodbridge is very good (rode there in the summer). But these are Suffolk places.

I like Danbury. I like Danbury cos I live in Chelmsford and can get there xc from my door in 25 mins. I like Danbury cos it's my home town ride. I just want to find some other bits in it.

So, what is everyone's favourite bits of Danbury ?
  • albo
    albo Posts: 260
    The 'Main' 'Downhill' Runs!
    :P
  • tobh
    where are these bits ?

we have names for places and sections that wont make any sense to anyone else.

but where do you think the 'main downhill runs are' ?

i think the canyon is the bombhole common...
  • albo
    Yeah, I see the main downhill runs as - the trail of the left as you go down the road off Gay Bower Lane - if you get what I mean, then you walk back up to the canyon?
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    quite possibly the bombhole, I've just heard people call them canyon 1, canyon 2 etc depending on which route you take
  • Paul 8v
    PS Yeah that's the bit i'd call the downhill too, the track just off Gay bowers :-)
  • albo
    I love that name street name...... My last name is Bowers! :D
  • Paul 8v
    But are you gay? :lol:
    Only kidding you don't have to answer that
  • I like thrift wood at the moment
  • Paul 8v
    Did a route yesterday, you can get all the way from Chelmsford to Tollesbury offroad, bit of a trek though!
  • That must be "Grace's Walk" which is haunted! hope you do not ride it at night!
  • There is also Hopping Jacks Lane and Twitty Fee in Danbury for funny names!
  • Paul 8v
    Fogliettaz wrote:
    That must be "Grace's Walk" which is haunted! hope you do not ride it at night!

The old railway line to Witham? I know the bit near Langford is supposedly haunted, doing a night ride down there on the 21st :lol:
    Where was it you were thinking of?
  • paul_284 wrote:
    if you want some good trails and you can travel its worth going to thetford forest cycle centre theres 2 main tracks there along with many bomb holes and the 'beast'. also a bit closer there is bike centre in Woodbridge suffolk its only just past ipswich so only takes hour form chelmsford., but i dont know what there like as my hub came loss jsut as i took my bike out the car damn typical teh one tool i didnt have!!

there is a clear route from chelmsford to danbury heading down the road past teh sewage works and go under the a12 theres a foot bridge across the river then one field and a private track which is a bridal way all the way to danbury brings youout on riffhams chase.

This is the route I meant, It has a local reputation of being haunted, it runs from Riffhams, Little Baddow down towards Chelmsford. Known locally as Graces Walk.
  • Paul 8v
    Oh I know that one! I walked down there the other day! The bit I meant was the abbandoned church on the old maldon to witham line, there's apparently an old rail worker from liverpool down there (if you believe in that sort of thing)
  • Hi, given that the best part of the woods in danbury has been removed from our routes, does any one have a GPS friendly route that maximises the best of danbury - i don't get to ride much so when i do i really want to exploit our excellent local trail - also i live in witham so if anybody has gps from witham up the disused railway to maldon and then onto danbury or at least parts of it so i can string it together that would be awesome- i found a "walkers" website detailing the route but it seems you have to go past and throught the gold course which i imagine they woudn't really like

Cheers
  • Paul 8v
    If it's the towpath it runs alongside the golf course, If it's benton hall you mean you have to just push your bike through there but it's not a massive walk, the railway line then goes all the way to the bridge in Langford, from there go down the side of the museum of power and it'll take you to tesco in Maldon along the towpath, not saure of how to get to danbury offroad from there but I'm getting a large scale OS map soon which should help
  • excellent just google mapped it looks ok - would love an up to date GPS file of danbury please please please
  • Came across this thread last night, and headed to Blakes Wood this morning to have a look but there were signs up saying no biking was allowed over there, is this new or do people just ride it anyway?
  • Paul 8v
    I did an off road route in the dark around Maldon/ Beleigh/ Wickham Bishops the other night, the railway line IS bloody creepy at night and I discovered my front light is pap offroad, great fun though and Stopped off at the blue boar at the end for an ale :-)
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Came across this thread last night, and headed to Blakes Wood this morning to have a look but there were signs up saying no biking was allowed over there, is this new or do people just ride it anyway?
    not anymore unfortunatly, that was one of the best bits.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty