Chelmsford, Essex - it's a bit flat

Comments

• If it helps i can email this to you along with a map

There is a lot more trails that you can add to this route but I’ll try to keep it simple as its quite hard to describe different bits of woodland. The bits I’ve highlighted are where you could miss if you not careful, the other turns are at the ends of fast/uphill sections.

Start off at lingwood common,
    It’s off little baddow road/ the ridge and opposite Russell lane.
    Enter the wood and follow the path, once you get to a gravel area you have two options. 1, carry on right down to the road or 2, turn right at the bench then left, follow the track, once you go down a steepish bit and over a little stream (trickle really) go left and then right on to the main path and continue until the road.
    Turn right on to the road (Riffhams chase) heading uphill until you see car park entrance on your left (looks like a goal post) this is,

Blakes Wood.
    Take the first trail on your left, follow it along until you go over a little ditch/ jump turn left heading downhill once you go round a right hand bend take the steep left down over a little bridge, ride up and take the 2nd trail on the right follow it along, at the end turn right then after a short while fork off to the left.
    Once you cross a little bridge take a left and follow the trail along, once at the top there is a cross road, go straight over down a winding trail, just before you get to a little stream take a right continue a long the trail going downhill and keeping left.
    You will come to an area with a load of cut down trees, go straight thought, continue along till you see a bridge on your left, cross it and ride up the muddy hill, you will arrive back at blakes car park.
    Turn left out of the car park on to the road, turn right and continue along for a while then turn left into common lane.

Pheasanthouse/scrubs wood
    Enter the woods on the right of the track (there is a lump and a post) don’t go to fast as you want to turn off to your right about half way down. It’s very hard to see, if you get to a t-junction of a bridleway you have gone to far. (You can just go to the bridleway turn right and it will take you to*)
    Follow this trail hoping over logs as you go, at the bottom cross the ditch and go straight up (good luck on this climb) follow the trail along to the right, once you get to cross a wide path take a u turn in to the car park and take the trail in far right corner, this will bring you out on the main bridleway. *Go thought the kissing gate and follow the left hand trail, take a right at the fence continue to gate where you go left, turn right at the bottom then left after a few metres at the end turn right and go uphill on the wide bridleway follow it, turning right when given the choice.
    Continue along this trail, when you get to a semi clearing keep left going to a trail that cuts though the heather. Once this turns to bridleway lookout for a holy lined trail on your left, there is a post near the entrance
    Follow this trail for some time, you we go down a steep bit where you will need to go right at the bottom (try not to go in to the stream!) follow the trail until you see a couple of bridges on your left, cross over and pedal uphill.
    At the top turn right and ride until you see a 5 bar gate on you right, go thought and follow the trail along, the trail will split in to three, take the right one. You will cross over a disused train line, follow the walking sign.
    Follow this trail until you come to wooden boardwalk on your left,
    Exit the wood then turn right on to the road ride up until you see your car.

Danbury common.
    Turn off the main rd (a414) in to Copt hill, the road dips down and up again and on your left you should see a track wide enough to drive a car down. Take this track but turn off down a piece of single track on the left after about 20m, follow any of the trails are they all go to the same area, at the bottom go right them right again and you will come to the start, repeat.

Other places you can try are Heather Hills on north hill and the Royal Oak quarry.
  • FAT_ROB
    FAT_ROB Posts: 116
    Chaps, I used to live in Chelmsford and Witham and sorry to spell it out to you, your in trouble looking for anything like a decent ride,

There is an interesting bit of woodland, in Hylands park, If you drive into the main carpark from the Ongar - Chelmsford road - The woods on the left. If nemory serves if you cross whatever the main road in and head down the road past the Rose cafe (or whatever its called on i think its the London rd) there is a way to link this into Galleywood common, was certainly a good 40min blast from the centre of chelmsford.

The canal is really scraping the barrel, Ive done it a few times and if its fishing season just became a nightmare of old fellas with poles blocking the canal on purpose as you approach.

Danbury common was fun but like you point out full of kids and not really anything more than a bike park, no use if you fancy doing a xc orientated ride.

So I guess the choices are:

Break out the Lycra and become a roadie.... Im sure Essex is awsome for them

Or do what I did, Move to the North, I live now in the peak district and wish I had done this years ago.

If you find anything worthwhile please let me know
    Never knowingly past a pie shop!

Spec Pitch

Spec Tarmac

Thorn Raven Tourer (with Roholf Hub gears)
  • tobh
    tobh Posts: 103
    Danbury

So. Last week I meet up with Explosive Pete and his brother Jonathon. They opened my eyes to Danbury.. I also busted my hand (but I'll come to that).

Pete is right, Danbury and the assorted commons are GREAT. Better than Epping. Big climbs, fast descents and miles and miles of track. We rode for about 2.5 hours. We only did 15 miles, and I believe him when he says there's loads more.

My only previous experience of Danbury was the jumps, bombholes etc at Blakes Wood. but there is LOADS more.

I could not begin to transcribe the route we took, but we basically rode through the different commons and woods. We had to get on the road for a few minutes linking each common, but that's cool.

So. yeah. Great ride. Pete is not only the fastest but the nicest man in Essex. Thanks Pete.

And my hand... I fell off going into a bend. Dislocated the little finger of right hand. There you go - it was time to go home anyway; I was KNACKERED.

When can we go back Pete ?

T

www.strengthofstrings.blogspot.com
  • explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    Sorry to tell you this but i'm like a mtb drug dealer "the first one is always free"
    now i've got you hooked and your mine!

Any time you want a ride let me know tho, maybe we could get a bikeradar riding crew?
  • Chalky76
    Chalky76 Posts: 260
    Pete,

Sounds good to me, count me in. I usually do the same stuff over and over on the side of the common where the bomb holes are and its getting a bit boring. Now and then the three or four of us go to Lingwood common for a change (like the weekend just gone) and i think i actually prefer it over there. Never done Blakes wood so that could be a morning session soon.

Off to Thetford this weekend for the first time so should be good.

Pete, i'd lke you to show me round on the less popular side of the common as i think i'm better suited to xc type stuff and don't mind a climb or two.

I'm also up for trying a bit of midweek night riding as i have borrowed a light but none of my normal riding buddies are up for it?

Chalky
    ride your bike like a kid whilst you still can

Transition Blindside = http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceychalk/5335403095/
  • explosifpete
    Let me know when your free, I'm happy to go anytime.
    I've got some pretty good lights to so love to do a bit of night riding.
    Have fun at thetford, the red and black routes are fun but it does get really water loged up there, not muddy but really wet so take a towel!
  • kujina
    kujina Posts: 1
    Hi Pete (and others)

I'm sure youve heard of google earth, you can download it for free.
    You could try drawing the path and then save the path and we could load it in google earth on our computers!

..Thanks...
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    Sounds good to me explosifpete been trying to ride over Epping Forest and
    your better of with a Potter's wheel

Just all churned up by the horese still riding through the forest.

And branches falling mainly near the Kings Oak pub
    down hill section.

So there is Hainult Forest and Thorndon but never been to these
    Can put another bike in me Galaxy no probs there.
  • explosifpete
    I've only riden danbury and epping but want to try some other places so if you wasnt someone to get lost with or fancy a danbury ride let me know.
  • having searched and waded through forums i am interested to see Explosivpetes routes i regularly venture to danbury etc and find it hard to have a continual route, i wonder if he(or anyone else) could post or email me either a map or written directions of a rough idea so i can set off on the right route?!?!!?!?!?
  • explosifpete
    if you scroll up there is a writen route. or if you fancy meeting up i can show you some route (although my bike will be out of action for a while)
  • OOPS I SEE THAT NOW WILL TAKE IT OUT WITH ME SATURDAY, MY NEW BIKE IS BEING CHECKED OVER SO WILL DEFINTIELY BE IN TOUCH TO GO FOR A SPIN GREAT KNOWLEDGE
  • RichGtB
    RichGtB Posts: 23
    hey guys, quite like the idea of a bikeradar crew for Danbury and surrounding areas, lol ! maybe one day we`ll see ourselves in a mag for a great essex route ??

I have been keepin an eye on this forum for a while, but wasnt sure if u guys were still posting, glad that u are !

Anyways, I agree, quite hard to find a decent route in the area, and am quite familiar with explosifpete's little route :-) A mate and myself head up there quite regulary and have a route which is around 12 miles and encompasses Lingwood, Blakes, the nature reserve (quite a large part of it), and then some bombhole fun in the common before we set-off home. I would describe it as having almost everything, and I personally prefer it to Thetford (flame me if u must...lol).

Im personally in Gt Baddow, so have a nice warm up getting to the top of Danbury via the lakes to the Church. Though its still a bi**h of a climb and never gets easier !

And it`d definately be cool for a group of us to hook up and try each others routes out or maybe link em all together. I h8 goin out on my own :-(

Oh, Anyone ever tried doing lingwood etc in the dark 8-)
  • tobh
    tobh Posts: 103
    Yep. I'm a Chelmsford based rider, who goes to Danbury. I've ridden with the famous Explosif Pete (the fastest and nicest man in Essex).

I would be up for a Bike Radar outing to Danbury. I can do some datessin September.. The 20th ???

Maybe we could all throw some dates in the hat and do it.

T

www.strengthofstrings.blogspot.com
  • RichGtB
    sounds gud, i can probably get a m8 to pop along aswell.

any thursday (eve) or sat / sun will suit me fine, day or nite.

20th is gud (seems ages away though ! ) will pencil that in, hows the morning sound ? 11ish ?

Meetin' point could be, say, if we come from different places, top of Danbury at the church (11), and for those comin from Chelmsford etc, Sandon Green in front of the pub (10:30-40).
  • I just moved back to Chelmsford from Exeter where I did a fair amount of downhill. I am pretty terrible at anything xc like and the uphills kill me. I tried out Pete's route above, and despite getting very lost towards the end, had a great time, even if I was off and pushing a fair amount. Danbury common will have to be my next experiment.
    Thanks Pete, I woulda never got round to riding up at Danbury without finding that post.

Also, does anyone know anything about that overgrown dirtbike type track I see from the A12 between Gt Baddow and Borham?
  • RichGtB
    seen it loads but never been there. Have no idea about it im afraid.
  • after a few weeks without a bike I sould be getting a new frame this week and thought it would be good to go for a ride round danbury if anyone is up for it.
    also i wanted to have a look at the olympic site if any know there way around the area
  • A ride has been planned for this sunday at the some what crazy time of 07.15 if anyone is really keen.
    meeting at the common
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    I'm moving to Billericay next weekend, and after setled in wouldn't mind to meet up and have a look round the common. I'll have a look at how far it is to cycle there (about 15 miles I'm guessing so not too bad).

Won't be able to do Sunday as I'm doing another Evans ride tomorrow - Hatfield - after 30miles I'll be too knackered for a ride on Sunday :lol:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Explosifpete could you send me a copy of your danbury route thanks. when are you planning the next danbury ride. Used to live in Danbury and would like to get back their again.
    Have rode the olympic site a few times. A group meet every saturday morning in Hadleigh town center outside the cafe at 7.00am Its very tough ride about 20km through Leigh on sea. I can give you more details if you are interested.

Thanks
  • missed the 14th :-/ another date for a ride anyone ? sats or suns r fine here. and explosifpete...of all the places to bump into someone. anyway, im pretty much guarented to be down lingwood etc evry thursday eve, normal passin the church @ top of danbury around 6:15/30 so maybe see u about again. The-Stinger, feel free to pop along.
  • Rich I'll do my best to be about on thursday evening but I'm not sure if I'll be about till abit later.

The stinger. If you look up there is a copy of the route but I do need to change it as it gets a bit unclear to the end (I did write it when i was sick tho!)
  • Rich, Thanks for the invite but Thursday is always gonna be iffy. Tried your route as best as could Pete no trouble first part but got lost second half (not your fault mine) got excited by what looks good. Would like to try again this Sunday morning. (not to early).
  • I've changed this a bit as people all seam to get lost near the end>
    There is a lot more trails that you can add to this route but I’ll try to keep it simple as its quite hard to describe different bits of woodland. The bits I’ve highlighted are where you could miss if you not careful, the other turns are at the ends of fast/uphill sections.

Start off at lingwood common,
    It’s off little baddow road/ the ridge and opposite Russell lane.
    Enter the wood and follow the path, once you get to a gravel area you have two options. 1, carry on right down to the road or 2, turn right at the bench then left, follow the track, once you go down a steepish bit and over a little stream (trickle really) go left and then right on to the main path and continue until the road.
    Turn right on to the road (Riffhams chase) heading uphill until you see car park entrance on your left (looks like a goal post) this is,

Blakes Wood.
    Take the first trail on your left, follow it along until you go over a little ditch/ jump turn left heading downhill once you go round a right hand bend take the steep left down over a little bridge, ride up and take the 2nd trail on the right (or go straight on as it goes to the same place is longer and more fun) follow it along, at the end turn right then after a short while fork off to the left and will go over a mud puddle with logs in it.
    Once you cross a little bridge take a left and follow the trail along, once at the top of the hill take the faint trail near the bench, follow it along crossing two little streams and you will end up at the cricket club, exit via the carpark turning left, then right when you get to the end of the road (about 20meters away)
    Continue along the road till you can turn left in to common lane.After about 50 meters:

Pheasanthouse/scrubs wood
    Enter the woods on the right of the track (there is a lump and a post) don’t go to fast as you want to turn off to your right about half way down. It’s very hard to see, if you get to a t-junction of a bridleway you have gone to far. (You can just go to the bridleway turn right and it will take you to*)
    Follow this trail hoping over logs as you go, at the bottom cross the ditch and go straight up (good luck on this climb) follow the trail along to the right, once you get to cross a wide path take a u turn in to the car park and take the trail in far right corner, this will bring you out on the main bridleway. *Go thought the kissing gate and follow the left hand trail, take a right at the fence continue to gate where you go left, turn right at the bottom then left after a few metres(this is a really good bit of trail and has “the rooty beast” half way along) at the end turn right and go uphill on the wide bridleway follow it, turning right when given the choice.
    Continue along this trail,(it goes though some holy)go across the logs that my lady friend and me put down as a bit of east coast north shore continue along going to a trail that cuts though the heather. Once this turns to bridleway lookout for a holy lined trail on your left, there is a post near the entrance
    Follow this trail for some time, you we go down a steep bit where you will need to go right at the bottom (try not to go in to the stream!) follow the trail until you see a couple of bridges on your left, cross over and pedal uphill.
    At the top turn right and ride until you see a 5 bar gate on you right, go thought and follow the trail along, the trail will split in to three, take the right one. You will cross over a disused train line, follow the walking sign.
    Follow this trail until you come to wooden boardwalk on your left,
    Exit the wood then turn right on to the road ride up until you see your car.

Danbury common.
    Turn off the main rd (a414) in to Copt hill, the road dips down and up again and on your left you should see a track wide enough to drive a car down. Take this track but turn off down a piece of single track on the left after about 20m, follow any of the trails are they all go to the same area, at the bottom go right them right again and you will come to the start, repeat.

Other places you can try are Heather Hills on north hill and the Royal Oak quarry.
  • sunday morning is good with me. start off with a ball park figure of say 09:30 @ Dabury Church carpark ???
  • 9:30 Good for me Rich but Danbury Church car park might be busy due to church goers. I’ll be in the main common car park in a blue Vauxhall combi van. I usuall start of out towards Gay Bowers road then round back to common out of croft road down towards Lingwood then use explosifpete’s route. Bringing a newcomer to biking with me so won't be pushing too it hard.
  • That car parks fine, i will be biking it up with a m8 from east hanningfield anyway so ill probably see ur van when i get there. Any route thats nice and long is good with me ! Sunday @ 09:30 it is.

Rich.
  • if your coming from east hanningfield you would ride past the entrance for danbury common carpark