Chelmsford, Essex - it's a bit flat

Comments

• cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    I'm biking from Billericay about 8:30 and will be passing through East Hanningfield also, my first port of call will be car park (according to my map on Danbury Common) so may see you there also - about 10 miles. I've then got a longish (16 mile) gps map programmed which I was intending to follow round, but if I see someone there I may tag along if you don't mind.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • ride open to all, more the better etc etc
  • cjw, how long does it normally take u to get to the common carpark ? tag along by all means :D
  • cjw
    No idea :shock: Only moved into Billericay last weekend so this will be first time. According to the map it's just over 10 miles. My average road speed is about 14 mph so I should do it in just under an hour.
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Lookes like we got a good turn out for Sunday Great C U all their.
  • I'm gonna be out a bit later with my buddy so I may bump in to you lot on route
  • explosifpete was relying on you to show us round your route.
  • I'll still be there at 9:30, all welcome.
  • cjw
    I should be there at 9:30... got a route programmed in GPS so could try to follow that. Think it covers the whole areas (18 miles) so we should see most bits.
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • dont worry 'bout the route, got a 'roughly' 2hr ride in mind which has a lot of explosifpetes route in which everyone should enjoy. see ya all @ 9:30
  • cjw
    :D
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • RichGtB
    RichGtB Posts: 23
    good stuff on sunday to you lot who made it, and cjw, hope the ride back to billiricay wasnt too bad :-/ theres still loads more to the area (if sun didnt put u off... !), maybe for next time.

Anyways, im out tonight, passing the church around 5:30 if anyone wants to pop along for about two hours (lights needed).

l8rz,

Rich.
  • Thanks Rich good ride will definatly come again need to learn that route. Will post when next available.
  • cjw
    Not too bad but was coming down with a cold. Still bit full of phlegm but was out at lunchtime :lol:

I'll be over again (probably Saturday) and will follow the GPS to get familiar with the route from last weekend :D
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Jimbo.
    Jimbo. Posts: 124
    Bo. Any more rides going "daaaaahhhhnnnnnn" as they say 'round here? Just moved back to sunny, glamourous (ha!) Thurrock after being at uni in Wales, and I need to go pedal before I go mad.

I hear there're routes around Thorndon (Brentwood) which is within easy riding distance of me. Danbury, too?
  • RichGtB
    Im gonna post a google earth KTZ file or whatever they are for those with GPS systems or who just wanna have a look.

Im out and about this sat or sunday , though havnt decided yet. So if anyones up for a ride just post which days better and we`ll try and make the most of this sun :)

Wouldnt mind trying Thorndon (Brentwood). Anyone know their way round ?

L8rz.
  • Rich great idea looking forward to download it. Will book another ride soon with your crew.
  • Rich great idea looking forward to download it. Will book another ride soon with your crew.
  • explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    I should be about with my riding buddy if you want to meet up for cake on sat
  • Hello chaps

I was exploring Blakes Wood and Lingwood yesterday, found some excellent singletrack and got thoroughly lost! Thought I was never going to see the light of day again at one point :)

A lot of people in the forest were extremely hostile towards me though, despite me saying a polite 'afternoon' and yielding to them on the trails. I was not blasting it either, merely pottering along looking for trails. One very pleasant lady got right up in my face and yelled 'OI! get off your bleedin' bike - NOW!' - very nice.

Has anybody else found this? I used to ride around Danbury all the time with no trouble (back in the days of treasure island and the canyon :D ) , so this was pretty disappointing.

Anyway say hello if you see somebody who looks like they're dying on top of a black Commie Meta 5. :D
  • RichGtB
    Hey all,

Here is a route you can have a peek in Google Earth. I have included various other GPS formats incase you wanted to save it to a GPS device if you have one.

http://www.transcending.co.uk/stuff/danbury_routes.zip

This basically covers explosifpetes route but with some variation. It can be modified a lot to keep the route interesting too.

I`ve had two peeps moan at me (both in Blakes). If the council or whoever etc are gonna put No Cycling signs up everywhere.....maybe they could tell us where else we could find decent cycling....

Im out tomorrow night (Thurs) for some night riding. Meet at church @ 6 if anyones interested.

Laters chaps.

Rich.
  • Excellent. Thanks Rich.
  • explosifpete
    RichGtB wrote:

I`ve had two peeps moan at me (both in Blakes). If the council or whoever etc are gonna put No Cycling signs up everywhere.....maybe they could tell us where else we could find decent cycling....

quote]

That is a bit of a problem in blakes as you have no right of way, at least in lingwood there are bridleways that you can follow.
    I try to be as friendly to the walkers as posible and always stop to let them pass as I remember the problems that were caused years ago in the common that resulted i the island being flatened
  • Chalky76
    Chalky76 Posts: 260
    retro - had a similar thing once with a guy jogging towards me, even though i came to a standstill to let him pass. Unfortunately you're always going to get the odd ar*ehole

Don't let it put you off, Blakes is good fun and most walkers etc don't mind you at all
    ride your bike like a kid whilst you still can

Transition Blindside = http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceychalk/5335403095/
  • RichGtB
    i remember the island before they flattened it, those were the days, lol. it never did stop anyone cycling around the common though. I`d say it is far more active around there now anyway. People making their own jumps etc.
  • Nice 1 rich thx.

When the next Sunday ride planned?
  • Had a brilliant ride on Sunday, based very loosely on Rich's route he kindly posted (note to self: a 1983 OS map is not necessarily accurate in 2008!)

Me and a long lost mate set off from Lingwood followed various Bridleways all the way to Little Baddow and back. 95% of our route was offroad and a good mix of technical / flowy singletrack. Took about 3.5 hours in all, riding at a reasonable pace. Amazing that there is so much woodland hidden away there.

Also had an interesting chat with a chap who was the leader of an association involved with the care and management of Blakes Wood (can't remember his exact title unfortunately).
    He basically said that they will 'turn a blind eye' to cyclists using Blakes Wood, as long as care is taken with regards to other users and muddy areas. Their main concerns seemed to be that large groups/MTB clubs were doing things like cycling round the edge of puddles, skidding and ruining paths and so on. Seemed a reasonable approach to me.
  • LOVE THIS POST,

which gps computers do people use?

r they any good i keep trying to follow some of the rides and often discover new sections and then get lost!

found myself stuck by a golf club in deserted woods covered in ginger leaves aaaaggghhh

anyone here race?
  • explosifpete
    LOVE THIS POST,

which gps computers do people use?

r they any good i keep trying to follow some of the rides and often discover new sections and then get lost!

found myself stuck by a golf club in deserted woods covered in ginger leaves aaaaggghhh

anyone here race?

It is a bit of a maze when you don't know it, you should try it a night!
    I have done a couple of races this year but hope to get a few done next summer if I can get back to pace as i've been silly slow for the last couple of months.
    Are you a race wippet yourself?
  • NO SIR AM AN OVERWEIGHT PARENT ON A LIGHTWEIGHT BIKE THAT WANTS TO GET FIT AND IS REALLY GETTING INTO OFF ROADING - I HAVE FOLLWED THE TRAIL YOU TYPED AT THE BEGINNING OF THIS POST AND KEEP FINDING ROUTES - DANBURY ROCKS! I HAVE ENTERED THE GORRICK AUTUMN CLASSIC FUN CATEGORY TO SEE HOW I FARE