Specialized Pitch Reviews?...

tommywmb
tommywmb Posts: 148
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Contemplating a Specialized Pitch. Anyone seen any reviews anywhere?

Comments

• clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    i dont understand the pitch. specialized have marketed it as enduro perfomance for less money. surely this would tempt buyers away from the enduro, therefore putting it in direct competition with the pitch.

but to the point, mbuk had a first ride on one a while a go, i think. other than tht, not sure.
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • tommywmb
    They should have called the '08 Enduro something else and marketed it as a new platform. The pitch is closer to the 'old' Enduro than the '08 one anyways.
  • i think the marketing of it had been slightly misunderstood...... it is the same travel and simialr geometry but thats were it ends, cheaper frame, components wheels ect make it 3/4 pounds heavier than the enduro........

think of the relationship between the fsr-xc and the stumpjumper its kind of the same.

for what its worth tried a testbike at lbs on local trails and it was great fun, if a little heavy for all day rides but value looks awesome and uses proven suspension tech (fox/rockshox) so no reliability issues like the 07 enduro.
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    i dont see how its closer to the old enduros tommy.

i can see where you're coming from steedmaster, but spesh say that it does the same as the enduro. it probably doesnt, cos as you say its heavier, but it still seems like it may take some buyers from the enduro.

having said that, im not overly keen on the 07/08 enduros anyway, the fork mainly, so if i was buying would probably get the pitch.
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • robinta
    robinta Posts: 211
    MBUK are reviewing the comp or pro (cant remember which) in their next issuec. 2weeks time
  • tommywmb
    Cheers mate!
  • i will give ya review

got one in at work finally the other day, one if the nicest full suss for the money around.

Great for all mountain, xc and light downhill. Hayes new brakes are disapointing. Nicely specced and rides really nice.

cakes being sold hot springs to mind! haha :wink:

almost not worth looking at any other bike really! If aggressive xc is ya bag!
  • i think the marketing of it had been slightly misunderstood...... it is the same travel and simialr geometry but thats were it ends, cheaper frame, components wheels ect make it 3/4 pounds heavier than the enduro........

think of the relationship between the fsr-xc and the stumpjumper its kind of the same.

for what its worth tried a testbike at lbs on local trails and it was great fun, if a little heavy for all day rides but value looks awesome and uses proven suspension tech (fox/rockshox) so no reliability issues like the 07 enduro.

A LITTLE HEAVY, WHAT MAN?? YA ARMS MADE A CHEESE?

seriously now, they are great value for money and perfect for most people. Again if aggressive xc is ya bag!

Look at the Pitch as a cheaper enduro without the shite triple clamps, basically the same sorta bike for people that want a reliable full suss and don't have to take out a 2nd mortgage.

they ride, ace, look good and are quite cheap, what more do ya want? Oh actually buy a hardtail and become a man!
  • rob cole
    rob cole Posts: 706
    Pitch Pro is an awesome bike...and killer value for money

its got a neat frame design that is going to be strong enough for 90% of riders (don't go hucking!!) and the right amount of travel for UK riding, and its a great weight

best thing is that it runs stock suspension (Rockshox Pike and Fox Float shock) so its giving more people confidence to buy, we found there was a love/hate reaction to its bigger brother the Enduro SL FSR, some people could not get their head around the dual crown fork and in-house branded rear shock

Pitch Pro is the "sleeper" hit for 2008 :wink:

avoid the cheaper Pitch as its got the cheaper Pike without the decent damping system and its got a cheap rear shock...the extra £200 on the Pitch Pro is money well spent
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com
  • Bought a new pitch pro last week as an upgrade from my old GT Ruckus hardtail... been on a few full sussers such as Orange Patriot and the BIg Hit, but this comes in more agile and light enough to ride back up the hill! It is not a DH specific bike, but in my humble opinion I would say it is the one of best buys you can get at the moment... geometry is great, forks can take anything you throw at them. Since buying, I've been on the downhill coruse at Cwm Carn, and free-riding at Penshurst and it has performed brilliantly at all disciplines (xc, freeride, dirt jumping - only the smaller stuff mind, and dh). The rear shock is leaking oil a bit, but I'm reassured by Fox that this happens in the breaking-in period. The Avid Juicy 3 brakes are suprisingly good, as I'm used to Hope M4s. I will be selling the Hopes on as the Avids do the job fine. I would recommend this bike to anyone interested in an all-rounder... you can rock on this bike!!
  • rob cole
    the "oil" on your Fox Float shock is the grease from the wiper seal, which heats up on the initial couple of rides and ends up on the shock shaft, which can look like a leak

if your shock continues to show a large amount of oil after this, return the bike (or shock) to the bike store and have them send it back to Mojo
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com
  • hamboman
    hamboman Posts: 512
    clarkson wrote:
    i dont understand the pitch. specialized have marketed it as enduro perfomance for less money. surely this would tempt buyers away from the enduro, therefore putting it in direct competition with the pitch.

This is classic economics - companies aren't interested in what people can afford, but what they are willing to pay. With these two similar bikes they are performing something called Group Marketing, where Spesh want to let those customers who are not price sensitive spend a lot, but without excluding sales from those who are price sensitive. It's really very clever, and similar to the way a supermarket will sell three different types of orange juice at different prices.

Of course, the premium product, in this case a bike, does have to offer something a little more than the cheaper alternative, otherwise customers who weren't price sensitive would just buy the cheaper product anyway.
  • Thanks for the advice re the 'oil'.

One thing the pitch pro does need is a chain device as the chain tends to come off over really rough stuff. Presumably, Specialized left a chain device off the production to bring the cost down, but I will be investing in one...
  • rob cole
    its a good point about the price, but I would take a Pitch Pro over an Enduro SL any day because its a neater package with proven aftermarket suspension forks and shock...and is also way better value, and arguably a better UK bike for all-mountain riding in terms of the improved turning circle with the single crown forks
  • Enjoying this thread -

I am currently in two minds whether to go for an Enduro SL Comp or a Stumpjumper Elite.

Really love the look of the Enduro - but think that it might be too focused towards D/H thats why have started to look at the Stumpy. (ride mainly trails)

Any views or recommendations to go either way ??
  • I fancy a Pitch...but not the lovely shade of crap brown that the Pro comes in :evil:
    =========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me
  • shame you can't get the pitch in the lovely lemon yellow this side of the pond... the brown is not too bad... more like a bronze!!! :)

A friend got a "soiled" 06 Enduro Expert Test Bike from Evans Gatwick showroom about a month ago. It's sturdy, but he can cope with the climbs such as the XC at Cwm Carn without any difficulty, but it is a bit on the heavy side. Nice bike though I'm not sure I would pay top whack for it...
  • I fancy a Pitch...but not the lovely shade of crap brown that the Pro comes in :evil:

Have you seen one in the flesh? They look awesome in the Satin Bronze!

My Pitch Pro is on order at LBS, i bought one on the strength of the write up in MBR a few months ago.

Its good to see positve comments about the bike, think it will be Specialized's winner in 2008!

I did look at the Enduro but the in-house fork/shocks put me off.

The Pitch is really well suited to UK trails, can't wait tobe blasting mine round Dalby very soon!
  • the mvps wrote:
    Enjoying this thread -

I am currently in two minds whether to go for an Enduro SL Comp or a Stumpjumper Elite.

Really love the look of the Enduro - but think that it might be too focused towards D/H thats why have started to look at the Stumpy. (ride mainly trails)

Any views or recommendations to go either way ??

The Enduro is an all-mountain bike NOT DH!

As for the Stumpy, the head mechanic at my LBS has an 08 Elite which he loves but around Dalby he says it gets pushed to its limits and he reckons The Pitch is the 6" Trail bike of 2008.

Great value as well!
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    There is a review (first look style) of the Pitch Pro in this month's MBUK
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Andy_B wrote:
    There is a review (first look style) of the Pitch Pro in this month's MBUK

Is that the one thats out in 2 weeks time?

Is the First look in the current issue!
  • Andy B
    It's in the MBUK that was delivered yesterday (subscription FTW!) December's edition.
  • Andy_B wrote:
    It's in the MBUK that was delivered yesterday (subscription FTW!) December's edition.

Whats the verdict Andy?
  • I've the December issue here (labelled "PREVIEW 2007") and there's nothing about the Pitch in it...
  • Andy B
    The Preview issue is not the December issue.

Page 32 of issue 219.
  • Andy, What does it say? Whats the MBUK verdict!

Steve
  • Andy B
    HeHe, Good review full page job, can't be arsed typing it out!
  • ok no worries, I will buy the mag think its in the shops weds, is it a single or double page!
  • Just got hold of the review...its very positive and for the money they reckon its a great 6" all mountain bike. Mines ordered anyway!
  • I'm finding this interesting reading, as I have been considering the Pitch Pro, but I'm not sure about the colour ! I'm very tempted with the Enduro Comp though - but wanted to know if anyone has had any problems with their suspension, all the Enduro's this year are fitted with their own shocks.