Specialized Pitch Reviews?...

Comments

• Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Well here's my Comp if you fancy seeing one.

pbpic1960768.jpg

I've changed a few things:
    - The mega shiney disc on the crankset is a RaceFace Bash Ring
    - Crank Bros 5050x pedals
    - Middle ring is now a 36t XT one
    - XT 11-34T Rear Casette
    - Wheels are Hope Hoops with DT5.1D's
    - Charge Spoon Saddle
    - Outland LTD Lock-On grips
    - Conti Mountain King Tyres in 2.4"
    - KMC X9.93 Chain

I weighed the bike on the scales the other day and all in it's 31lbs, including pedals which is pretty reasonable if you ask me :D
  • rgm
    rgm Posts: 19
    I've had my pitch pro for about a month now and it is a great bike. My first full sus bike, so not much to compare it to but I canot find fault with it. Have changed the tyres though as have had a couple of hairy moments with the Eskar control tyres it came with. Can thoroughly reccomend it.
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    nice 1 folks.

Just wondering about the weight/climbing capabilities - it seems most ppl think it climbs pretty well and don't see the weight as a problem?
  • HCoulton
    HCoulton Posts: 1
    The Pitch is a great bike, and unless your a wimpy weight weeny it's pretty good at climing too. I upgraded the forks from pike 351 to pike 454 air U-turn and the brakes from avid 3s to 5s for more stopping power. It's a great bike and theprefect choice for any body looking for a bike that can do anything well for £1500.[/list][/list][/code][/quote]
  • Steve_b77
    grumsta wrote:
    nice 1 folks.

Just wondering about the weight/climbing capabilities - it seems most ppl think it climbs pretty well and don't see the weight as a problem?

31lbs to me doesn't seem overly heavy if I'm honest, sures it's no Stumpy but then again you can head off down hill with as much or little care as you like. The down bits are more fun anyway :D

I've even tackled the local 4X course on it with not many issues bar the rear sus soaking up the jumps easily.

All you've gotta do is get the tires right and you're laffing. The Hope hoops have made a massive difference in feel too
  • These bikes are great... with my upgrades listed below it is a real tearer. Keeps pace with my DH mates on the down and also climbs well with my XC mates... a true all-mountain bike... initial reactions were that the Pike forks could do with a stiffer spring, and the chain tended to fly off over rocky stuff on a small frame. But a friend has a medium size Pitch and has suffered no chain problems.

Fox 36 Talas R forks
    Cane Creek S8 headset
    Husselvelt short stem
    e-thirteen DRS chain device

I bought it as a mini DH bike that can climb to the top of welsh trails also. I found the components aren't that strong to cope on extended DH sessions... my upgrades have well sorted it now though and it rocks!
  • icedmind
    icedmind Posts: 206
    i think its like when you compare the fsr xc to stumpjumper
    like pitch will be the fsr xc and enduro will be the stumpjumper
    i think specialized its trying to sell a more value bike like what giant do
    but personally i wont get a pitch, go for enduro
    the new enduro frame design with the specialized shox are awesome
    light and tough you can get nothing better with the same price(for a new one) i guess
    08 Swork Stumpy FSR with 3 brains
    "2Brains. A Singletrack Mind ", from specialized <<<suppose if the rider doesnt have one
  • grumsta
    Don't spose there is anyone in the NW who would be willing to let me have a go on their Pitch is there? I can't seem to find anywhere that demos them.
  • deadpool2e
    deadpool2e Posts: 625
    Maybe specialized should just sell the frame as almost everyone on here who has one has change almost all items.

If they did sell just the frame i would build one up.
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • Steve_b77
    this could well be a good idea although they only seem to sell the S-works ones like the Enduro and the Stumpy.

I know you can get a Trail frame aswell.

But then again it would kinda defeat their marketing ploy of an enduro for those of us with less to spend
  • grumsta wrote:
    Don't spose there is anyone in the NW who would be willing to let me have a go on their Pitch is there? I can't seem to find anywhere that demos them.

Where abouts in the NW are you?

There's a Specialized Concept Store in Chester, have you tried them? I'm sure they'll let you have a go on one if you ask nicely :wink:
    It's all good fun until someone loses a bollock.

2010 Orange Crush
  • Steve_b77
    grumsta wrote:

There's a Specialized Concept Store in Chester, have you tried them? I'm sure they'll let you have a go on one if you ask nicely :wink:

Duh, I forgot to mention that, they had one in window last time I was passing.
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    icedmind wrote:
    i think its like when you compare the fsr xc to stumpjumper
    like pitch will be the fsr xc and enduro will be the stumpjumper
    i think specialized its trying to sell a more value bike like what giant do
    but personally i wont get a pitch, go for enduro
    the new enduro frame design with the specialized shox are awesome
    light and tough you can get nothing better with the same price(for a new one) i guess

my gen enduro is much better. :D:D prettier, stronger and a much nicer ride. and it doenst have those silly triple clamps. only thing with mine is the weight.

if im honest the pitch is quite a reasonable bike, as someone said earlier, with the right upgrades its a beast!!
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • grumsta
    grumsta wrote:

I am in Lancaster but I have a mate in Chester. They have a Pitch in Leisure Lakes in Lancaster they said I could ride around the car park on but I could do with taking one out on some proper off-road. Will try that concept store place though, cheers.
  • Steve_b77
    grumsta wrote:
    I am in Lancaster but I have a mate in Chester. They have a Pitch in Leisure Lakes in Lancaster they said I could ride around the car park on but I could do with taking one out on some proper off-road. Will try that concept store place though, cheers.

I'm pretty certain if you give them some dollah they'll let you have it for a few hours and as Llandegla is only 20 minutes away :D
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    Im almost certain that when I was in the Specialized Concept Store in Chester a couple of months ago they had a Pitch demo bike in medium size. I think it costs something like £30 to hire it for a day.

Stu
  • steedmaster
    steedmaster Posts: 111
    thats tight concept store in plymouth dont charge for any test bikes and you can keep em for 3-4 days usually......
  • grumsta
    Thanks folks.

Managed to have a go on a pitch comp at Evans at Chill Factore in manc. Only got to ride it round the car park but there was a cheeky bit of off-road and some jumps round and about so it wasn't too bad. Would still like to take it out on a proper trail I think.

I really liked it though, and that was only the comp. Been thinking strongly about getting a Meta 5 but the Pitch seems like much better value. The Meta felt a bit more 'special' but the Pitch is a really nice bike and the Pro seems great value for £1400.

Might see if the concept store will let me take one for a proper test.
  • grumsta
    Chester concept store wanted me to put the full price of the bike (plus £30 for the demo) on a card before demoing and also I had to clean the bike thoroughly before taking it back - not that that's a big problem but the guy sounded a bit like he felt he was doing me a favour.

So instead I demoed an Enduro round Grizedale as the nearest thing to a Pitch then got straight on a Pitch afterwards and had a little ride round the car park. I really liked the Enduro but the Pitch felt similar and actually a little better. I prefer the normal forks on the Pitch and it seemed to fit me a little better. Think I am gonna go for it... :P :P :P
  • grumsta
    Just waiting for my voucher from cyclescheme then I can go pick up my Pitch Pro!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P
  • Tel39
    Tel39 Posts: 243
    grumsta wrote:
    Just waiting for my voucher from cyclescheme then I can go pick up my Pitch Pro!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P

Grumsta where you picking it up from, the one in Chester? If so do you know if they have many in stock?
    Cheers
    Tel
    Vis Unita Fortior
  • grumsta
    Getting it from biketreks in Ambleside - they had comps in stock but had to order me the pro. Not sure about the Chester store.
  • grumsta
    2729678692_2c40afb390.jpg?v=0
    2728847275_87c472cf50.jpg?v=0
    2728847275_87c472cf50.jpg?v=0

Just picked up my new Specialized Pitch Pro from Biketreks in Ambleside on Thursday - just wanted to say a big thank you especially to Kerry for some great service. I got it on the cyclescheme and they still let me have the Specialized Summer Reward which was 10% of the value of the bike, so I also got £140 worth of Specialized goodies to go with it, plus they gave me back the £20 I had spent on a test bike a few weeks earlier. Bargain!

Kerry also stayed behind after the shop closed as I got there not long before, and patiently took me round all the accessories and set the bike up properly for me. Got some really nice Specialized shorts, track pump, shock pump and some SPD shoes to go with the pedals that came with it - they are all really good quality as well especially the shorts.

I am really happy with the bike and took it for a good thrash round Grizedale on Friday - Parkamoor down to Satterthwaite, Breasty Haw etc.

Its my first full susser and is a big step up from my first bike (a Spesh Hardrock) and it feels great. Really gives me the confidence to ride much harder and jump off things I would never have dared to before. It also climbs amazingly well - especially with the propedal and fork compression on. I cleaned a few climbs I have never managed before. After some initial interesting moments with the SPDs I got used to them and much prefer them to flat pedals.

:D:D:D:D:D
  • blakspark
    blakspark Posts: 14
    edited June 2009
    Hi im new here, I used to ride a lot years ago but work, girls booze laziness etc put a stop to that ive just got back into riding over the last year and im a little out of touch with whats a good spec etc.

Im just finalising a new bike and ive got it down to 2 choices, the pitch comp which i can get for £975 or the boardman fs comp £800 both seem to have had great reviews.

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtbfs/fs_comp.html

I know the usual the more you can spend the better but the boardman seems to be great value for money, is the pitch worth the extra?

im around 5'8" and was adamant a medium pitch would be perfect but reading the reviews here im starting to think a small might suit better. I know I need to try for myself but what would you recommend.

I just want to use this for total "all round" riding, xc trails little light downhill even the odd commute to work?
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    blakspark wrote:
    Hi im new here but have been riding for years,

Im just finalising a new bike and ive got it down to 2 choices, the pitch comp which i can get for £975 or the boardman fs comp £800 both seem to have had great reviews.

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtbfs/fs_comp.html

I know the usual the more you can spend the better but the boardman seems to be great value for money, is the pitch worth the extra?

im around 5'8" and was adamant a medium pitch would be perfect but reading the reviews here im starting to think a small might suit better. I know I need to try for myself but what would you recommend.

I just want to use this for total "all round" riding, xc trails little light downhill even the odd commute to work?

Have you actually found a pitch in stock in your size? I reckon an FSR XC would suit your riding better if you want a Spesh full susser....
  • blakspark
    ^ yeah, i can geta pitch in my size for £978, i just want something for all round riding and thought this would fit the bill perfectly!
  • llamafarmer
    6 inches of travel is an awful lot to wallow around on when you're not hitting big trails!
  • blakspark
    good point, what about the boardman then, any views?
  • llamafarmer
    blakspark wrote:
    good point, what about the boardman then, any views?

They get great reviews, but I've never ridden one myself. Spesh FSR XC and Giant Trance are also good at that price range, but you'll find it hard to beat the Boardman for value.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/comp-fs-09-33793
  • blakspark
    maybe il wait for the 2010 fsrxc comp then or a deal on a 2009 model, thanks.

at the moment though, the pitch comp just seems to be a better buy than the fsrxc comp for the same money.