XC in kent- Any willing volunteers!!!

Comments

• impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    Aw nasty, i got that last year. Make sure you drink LOTS of water or you'll get dehydrated very quickely. Get well soon mate, i wanna go ride at Chillam again one evening :)
    Cheers Andy. I second your desire for a repeat Chilham ride. Imagine how much faster that chalky DH would be if we could see where we're going :twisted:
    And there's gotta be tons of hidden singletrack just waiting for "The Crashinator" to leave the safety of his saddle for. :wink:

Oh dear :cry: I'm off the the lavvie :oops:
  • impished wrote:
    Aw nasty, i got that last year. Make sure you drink LOTS of water or you'll get dehydrated very quickely. Get well soon mate, i wanna go ride at Chillam again one evening :)
    Cheers Andy. I second your desire for a repeat Chilham ride. Imagine how much faster that chalky DH would be if we could see where we're going :twisted:
    And there's gotta be tons of hidden singletrack just waiting for "The Crashinator" to leave the safety of his saddle for. :wink:

Not that many singletracks to be found in Kings woods unfortunately. Most of it is fireroad. A few fast downs around the cloud chamber and setting off from the Challock carpark. The rest is now mainly overgrown from lack of usage. Brave of you to try some night riding on trails you have never used before. You could spend a fair bit of time in the wood if you get lost :P. Still the best time to do it as it will get quite boggy when wet

Not that many singletracks to be found in Kings woods unfortunately. Most of it is fireroad. A few fast downs around the cloud chamber and setting off from the Challock carpark. The rest is now mainly overgrown from lack of usage. Brave of you to try some night riding on trails you have never used before. You could spend a fair bit of time in the wood if you get lost :P. Still the best time to do it as it will get quite boggy when wet
    We don't know where we are going most of the time anyway :) Some of those downs were a bit scary with our crappy lights, and we were lucky to escape with just the one injury! Was still really good fun though so we will go back again.
  • hi, is anyone out in the morning, im in gillingham and don't fancy a ride on my own!
    ( billy no mates)
    Cinelli saetta
    Giant talon 29er
    Dolan e'tape
    Gt zaskar
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    hi to all

just a quick question

what's it like up it Chilham like the profile and also how technical is it?

cheers in advance :)
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Ade, hope you're on the mend soon!

I've not made any progress getting any new lights so will have to pull my finger out or miss out on this weeks evening ride.

Steve - Chilham is mainly doubletracks, some are reasonably steep and gravelly but there's nothing amazingly technical. Good fun though and a bit different to somewhere like Blean. I don't know if you've ridden at Bluebell Hill but it reminds me of a scaled down version of that.

So did anyone make it out riding today?
  • stevet1992
    Steve - Chilham is mainly doubletracks, some are reasonably steep and gravelly but there's nothing amazingly technical. Good fun though and a bit different to somewhere like Blean. I don't know if you've ridden at Bluebell Hill but it reminds me of a scaled down version of that.

Ok cheers for that

nope haven't rode anywhere but the local warren in ashford just starting out :P

might have to give it a go when i get the train fare together

thank god for EMA

:roll: :D

• pittpony
    If you're coming from Ashford you can ride along the back roads through Wye and save the train fare altogether. Would make for a longer ride but worth considering if you have time
  • stevet1992
    didnt think of that :oops:

shall have to book a weekend of work then and hit the road
    :lol:

• RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    pittpony wrote:
    Ade, hope you're on the mend soon!

I've not made any progress getting any new lights so will have to pull my finger out or miss out on this weeks evening ride.

So did anyone make it out riding today?

Mark and myself had a quick ride this morning, wont mention where but i moaned alot. :D
  • pittpony
    RussAlf wrote:
    Mark and myself had a quick ride this morning, wont mention where but i moaned alot. :D
    Ah must have been Afan then :wink:
  • Paul and i did the Kent Trails ride from Deal to Capel-le-ferne and back. Was a fantastic ride as usual with great weather, so was able to go up on the Dover clifs :D Did about 52 miles i think.

So when can you guys ride this week? I am definately doing the Thursday evening Kent-Trails ride, can anyone manage Tuesday or Wednesday? Are you still camped out in the loo Ade?

I take it the gravel at Bedgbury hasn't bedded in yet? You gota read the MBUK artical :twisted:
  • Bedgbury article was very bad, but when i first started out i though Bedgebury was the dogs danglys. I suppose our riding has progressed beyond that level now, however I still enjoy the jumps part and it is ok for a quick ride and any newbie’s.
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • pittpony
    deadpool2e wrote:
    Bedgbury article was very bad, but when i first started out i though Bedgebury was the dogs danglys. I suppose our riding has progressed beyond that level now, however I still enjoy the jumps part and it is ok for a quick ride and any newbie’s.
    The first time i rode Bedgebury i remeber being genuinely nervous about how technical it was going to be, partly because Ade had bigged it up and i'd only been riding a few weeks :lol: I don't like to slag it off as it's as good a trail centre as you're likely to get near here but i agree its not my number one place to ride

Andy - sounds like a great ride mate. I'll have to come along on one of those longer Kent Trails rides soon!
  • RussAlf
    As Mark says its good for a quick ride and the jumps section is good fun. The problem i have with it is that its design has had no thought put into it what so ever. Even the new section is poorly done, they should have spent the time and money on the new section into improving the old ones, the berms in the new section would make some of the old sections vastly better. bedgebury was made in a rush and some guy in a digger just went through laying down the track, they havnt used the terrain they have avalible to its best ability.

Swinley is miles ahead of bedgebury in terms of challenging terrain and the thought put into it, yet it only charges £2 to ride and parking is free. Bedgebury could easily be as good if not better than Swinley, the two have near on the same profile

Bedgeburys profile is about 15miles in
    BewlBedge220508-vi.jpg

Swinley
    Swinley190808-vi.jpg

I cant see bedgebury improving now, they have showed there feelings towards mountain bikers by banning bikes from the cafe area. They have however supplied bike stands for you to leave your £2000 bike up in the car park, out of your site and a good distance away from you allowing some scrote to nick it. Of course thats if you can even get your tyres into the stands as they are ones you find in a school.[/url]
  • pittpony
    Don't forget the £7.50 parking fee and £££ cafe prices too. I'd hate to think you missed anything out of your rant ;)

You do make a good point though.
  • RussAlf
    Sorry can you tell im working nights?
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    We're doing the Bewl/Bedge route in a couple of weeks, will be interesting to see what its like now, havent been this year at all, im loving BBH and Boxley at the moment.

Im not going to pay a penny to park there, I think we will park on the road at the top of Bewl as a nice central location to cover both tracks.

£7.50 to park up is too much imho, has the annual parking pass gone up aswell?
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • pittpony
    Bmjboy wrote:
    £7.50 to park up is too much imho, has the annual parking pass gone up aswell?

Undoubtedly.

Russ - I can tell. You're grumpier than a Lego man with a hangover!!! :lol:
  • AAAGhhh scarry Freddy Krugger Lego Man......oh the nightmares :wink:
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • RussAlf
    Few Pics from sunday, battery ran out though

pbpic2501076.jpg
    pbpic2501158.jpg
    pbpic2501111.jpg

Battery ran out before we got any once of mark.
  • pittpony
    Nice pics Russ - i like the one of you coming off the north shore - a good action shot!
  • RussAlf
    Thanks Nick, do you think i can get any further over the rear wheel lol
  • Do you fancy a ride on Monday Russ if you'r not working?
  • pittpony
    RussAlf wrote:
    Thanks Nick, do you think i can get any further over the rear wheel lol
    Lol i thought you were sitting on the woodwork! :lol:
  • RussAlf
    Do you fancy a ride on Monday Russ if you'r not working?

Yup im off on monday, fancy a ride somewhere?
  • RussAlf wrote:

Cool :D Where do you fancy, Swinley or Surry? I think i'd like to try Swinley again. I'd contribute towards petrol of course :)
  • pittpony
    RussAlf wrote:

Cool :D Where do you fancy, Swinley or Surry? I think i'd like to try Swinley again. I'd contribute towards petrol of course :)
    Hmm, transport and logistics allowing i might be tempted to take a day off... Depends where you decide to ride as I'll most likely get the train over
  • pittpony
    Right I've arranged a lift with Andy (in the Panzer) so i'm on for Monday as long as i can get the day off. Shouldn't be a problem. Are you up for Swinley then Russ? Anyone else? I'm hoping for a sociable start - early enough to get some riding in before lunch but not so early i don't get a small lie-in on a day off :lol:
  • RussAlf
    I dont finish till 8am on the monday morning, sundays are a quiet night at work so i should be fine to come straight out hopefully but id prefer to start later than earlier!

Andy do you have the car now? i wouldnt be able to fit 3 in my car im afraid. I would prefer to go to surrey as its not as far.