XC in kent- Any willing volunteers!!!

Comments

• Had a great ride on Sunday, went to Bedgebury as me and a few friends couldn't all make it (was going to go to Swinley forest). The weather was good and I can feel my fitness improving massively! Had a crash though as I'm still kinda getting used to the whole spd thing, 10 years of trials is responsible for that!
    Would be cool to bump into some of you guys at riding spots around Kent!
    Hoping to get to Swinley forest next week :)
  • RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    hugh_b wrote:
    Had a great ride on Sunday, went to Bedgebury as me and a few friends couldn't all make it (was going to go to Swinley forest). The weather was good and I can feel my fitness improving massively! Had a crash though as I'm still kinda getting used to the whole spd thing, 10 years of trials is responsible for that!
    Would be cool to bump into some of you guys at riding spots around Kent!
    Hoping to get to Swinley forest next week :)

Swinley is well worth the drive, some excellent singletrack around there.

Dont worry about the clipless moments we all get them now and then, Nick had one yesterday didnt you nick :D
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    And here I am showing off my injuries after yet another spectacular crash. Russ said it was one of the best he's seen Embarassed In my defence it was a steep, rooty dropoff. I didn't get my weight far enough back and think i clipped a root causing me to dive down the rest of it without my bike Rolling Eyes I landed on a rock. It hurt. I was still finding grazes when i got home and my right arm has swolen to twice the size of the left Shocked

ouchhh sounds bad :lol:

atleast my injuries wasent as bad as that :P took a bad knock to a tree crushed my lil finger in the between bars and the tree :cry:

oh well overall i did have a good first proper ride met a guy who knows the warren like the back if his hand and found places i never knew existed :P

just thought i would give you guys some feedback how its going :D
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    stevet1992 wrote:
    ouchhh sounds bad :lol:

atleast my injuries wasent as bad as that :P took a bad knock to a tree crushed my lil finger in the between bars and the tree :cry:

oh well overall i did have a good first proper ride met a guy who knows the warren like the back if his hand and found places i never knew existed :P

just thought i would give you guys some feedback how its going :D
    Its all part of getting better - pushing yourself beyond your comfort zone and learning how to do it better next time! Good to hear your riding is going well mate.

Thanks for reminding me about that clipless moment Russ! At the time i was talking about how my riding is improving from riding with you guys regularly for the last 6 months or so :lol:

Glad your knee isn't as bad as you feared Andy.
  • RussAlf wrote:
    Good stuff andy you plonker, no major damage!

Mark what was Swanley like?

Not very good, still nice to get out though. was not what we are used to now.
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • RussAlf
    Bummer.

Ade still want those grips?
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    RussAlf wrote:
    Ade still want those grips?
    Yes please Russ.
    To coin a phrase; 'when I get decent grips, I'll be faster than all of you!' :wink:

Russ & Mark, you bought lights yet? You've really gotta try a full-pelt night ride :twisted:
    I should get an artificial Sun mounted to my bars next week sometime 8) Unless they sink on their way from Korea :lol:
  • RussAlf
    Cool, ive got your address so ill send them to you and we can sort the money out later after youve had a look at them.

I dont think im going to buy lights, i get plenty of time off during the week so ive got no need to ride in the evenings. If i was working normal hours i would get some.
  • impished
    RussAlf wrote:
    Cool, ive got your address so ill send them to you and we can sort the money out later after youve had a look at them.
    Nice one. You haven't got a copy of the Swinley/Afan rides dvd you could send too, by any chance? :wink:
  • andyturner28
    andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
    RussAlf wrote:
    Good stuff andy you plonker
    Have to agree with you there :oops: :)
  • andyturner28
    andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
    impished wrote:
    RussAlf wrote:
    Nice one. You haven't got a copy of the Swinley/Afan rides dvd you could send too, by any chance? :wink:
    Me too :wink:

What lights are you getting then Ade?
  • impished
    I went for the Airbike P7, in black (out of stock VERY quickly :roll:) from On-One. £120 for 670 8) lumens. That on my bars and 1 or 2 P3D's on my bonce should be enough to get me mistaken for a landing strip.
  • impished wrote:
    RussAlf wrote:
    Me too :wink:

Me 3 :D:D

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • impished
    deadpool2e wrote:
    Looks like we've got a night ride at BBH/Bromley/Bedgebury to sort then :twisted:

Even Russ would enjoy Bedgebury in the dark. :wink:
  • pittpony
    impished wrote:
    deadpool2e wrote:
    Looks like we've got a night ride at BBH/Bromley/Bedgebury to sort then :twisted:

Even Russ would enjoy Bedgebury in the dark. :wink:
    Yeah i hear he has a liking for well-lit gravel :lol:

I think Mark's "me 3" was about the videos rather than the lights.

I 've bought a homemade lightset from a guy on Singletrack. I'm hoping they'll do the job OK - i'm trying to work out whether i can afford a car at the moment so am trying to keep an eye on my (usually insane) spending! :roll:
  • RussAlf
    I have edited all the Afan videos now and will "borrow" some dvds from work tomorrow, you may not get them till next week though as im currently revising for a job interview i have on friday.

Bedgebury in the dark sounds fun but with the amount of light you guys are going to be packing it will be like the singapore F1, just like day light and still boring, i doubt i will even have to bring my own lights. Im tempted to buy 2 of those tesco lights for a giggle though,
  • impished
    pittpony wrote:
    I think Mark's "me 3" was about the videos rather than the lights.:
    Oops :oops: Just realised that too :roll: That's what I get for not previewing posts.
    Russalf wrote:
    Im tempted to buy 2 of those tesco lights for a giggle though
    Go on, you know it makes sense :twisted:
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    Guys, just to interject from the current theme....

Do you guys think that when in Afan, you "could" do the WALL and WHITES in the same day?

Just chatting with mates about our 3 to 4 day trip and deciding what we could fit into a day.

Would the above be a killer?

Oh, and if any of you want lighting duel, Im sure my Niteflux on 800 Lumens is enough summon the dark-side! Although this weeks night ride attracted far too many flies to the beam and at one point a BAT! - Not *very* scary when stopped for a drink!! :lol:
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • RussAlf
    The Wall and Whites is easily doable in one day, of course depending on your fitness. When Mark and myself did the crazy day trip to wales we did just that and a bit of Skyline.
    I think the Wall took us about 1 1/2 hours and Whites about 2 and a bit but we were messing around on the black run for ages.

Do the wall in the morning, grab some lunch at the drop off cafe and then do whites. That will be an excellent day!
  • Bmjboy
    RussAlf wrote:
    The Wall and Whites is easily doable in one day, of course depending on your fitness. When Mark and myself did the crazy day trip to wales we did just that and a bit of Skyline.
    I think the Wall took us about 1 1/2 hours and Whites about 2 and a bit but we were messing around on the black run for ages.

Do the wall in the morning, grab some lunch at the drop off cafe and then do whites. That will be an excellent day!

That was - IS! - the plan, just wanted to ensure that we plan ahead OK to cram it all in without ending up in hospital..

Plan is early depart on Friday, do Penrydd trail upon arrival, then off to cottage to decamp and settle in that afternoon.

Sat : Wall and Whites

Sun : Skyline AND/OR go back to do our favourite sections we have found.

Monday : (Depending on hangover) one more trail of choice and head for home.

Im not tremendously fit, but been doing BBH twice a week for ages, its not a race (at least not uphill!) so Im sure we'll be OK.

• RussAlf
    That sounds really good im very jealous.
  • Bmjboy
    RussAlf wrote:
    That sounds really good im very jealous.

Im like a kid at Christmas - time is going SO slowly and I just want to get there!

The pics and vids you guys have been putting up have been a bit of pleasure and pain! - Love seeing them, but hate the tease that Im not there!

Not long now... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

• Bmjboy wrote:
    RussAlf wrote:

That was - IS! - the plan, just wanted to ensure that we plan ahead OK to cram it all in without ending up in hospital..

Plan is early depart on Friday, do Penrydd trail upon arrival, then off to cottage to decamp and settle in that afternoon.

Sat : Wall and Whites

Sun : Skyline AND/OR go back to do our favourite sections we have found.

Monday : (Depending on hangover) one more trail of choice and head for home.

Im not tremendously fit, but been doing BBH twice a week for ages, its not a race (at least not uphill!) so Im sure we'll be OK.

Where are you staying? you should have a really good time, make sure you let us know how you got on.

AND if its raining BEWARE off the inconspicuous bridge near the fish pond at glenngoricccccccccc. :D

• Bmjboy
    deadpool2e wrote:

Where are you staying? you should have a really good time, make sure you let us know how you got on.

AND if its raining BEWARE off the inconspicuous bridge near the fish pond at glenngoricccccccccc. :D

We're staying here at Cymmer:
    http://www.brynteghouse.com/mtb.html Pretty much central to everything by the looks of it.

Ive seen the "Nasty" crashes on that bridge from the pictures, I really hope we dont have similar fate, has anyone successfully negotiated it? - That flat tarmac looks deadly! :lol: Im sure we will have a camera handy to document our crossing!

• pittpony
    That's one tough bridge right there. When i stacked it there i saw patches of Sam Hill's and Steve Peat's blood on the woodwork :lol:

Sounds like an awesome weekend you've got lined up. I can't wait to go back!

I'm banned from exercise for a fortnight now (physio's orders) and my weekend has just come free so i could have ridden any time i wanted. Grrrrr! :twisted: :twisted:
  • lost-time
    lost-time Posts: 549
    Bmjboy wrote:
    Guys, just to interject from the current theme....

Do you guys think that when in Afan, you "could" do the WALL and WHITES in the same day?
    Just chatting with mates about our 3 to 4 day trip and deciding what we could fit into a day.
    Would the above be a killer?

I've done Skyline and Whites in one day....with flu. You should have no worries doing Whites and The Wall in a day.
  • Bmjboy
    lost-time wrote:
    I've done Skyline and Whites in one day....with flu. You should have no worries doing Whites and The Wall in a day.

I think we are budgeting our fitness to do Skyline first on the Sunday, read a lot about the long climbs, will see how it goes, but trudging my fat a*se up there after 2 days of riding will no doubt be a challenge in itself!

• RussAlf
    pittpony wrote:
    That's one tough bridge right there. When i stacked it there i saw patches of Sam Hill's and Steve Peat's blood on the woodwork :lol:

I'm banned from exercise for a fortnight now (physio's orders) and my weekend has just come free so i could have ridden any time i wanted. Grrrrr! :twisted: :twisted:

Mountain biking isnt exercise, its a hobby and having fun. Surely you could fit in a ride this weekend.
  • pittpony
    RussAlf wrote:
    pittpony wrote:

Mountain biking isnt exercise, its a hobby and having fun. Surely you could fit in a ride this weekend.
    I'm going to see how it goes but i really think i should rest it. She said if i don't i'll end up causing myself more problems long term :roll: She could clearly see the "oh sod it i'll still ride anyway" look in my eyes!

But just to tempt me - what are the plans??!
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    Impished. Are those lights ok with wireless speedos and heart rate monitors? One of the things the magazines have never stated is that the earlier Hopes at least buggered up wireless speedos and hrm's due to the way they pulse the led's, it would interfer and I believe its the same for most big power led lights, means they are a no no for me as I use both of the aforementioned things. I have a home made setup with a 35w 12v MR16 overvolted with two 7.2v rc battery packs, nice and bright and wide enough that I dont need a helmet light even at bedgebury on its mega twisty bits. Think I will buy some new batteries for this winter though as the old ones were getting a bit tired