Commuting bike pics

Comments

• Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    chuckcork wrote:
    2724068997_4ee6ba0592.jpg

My current commuting bike, a Claude Butler Roubaix Triple 2007. I rode it through last winter when the weather was good enough, for lighting had a hub dynamo built and mounted a Busch + Muller LED light and Schmidt light on the front and ran also a B+M tailight plus LED's where I thought I needed extra or just in case.

I major problems with mounting the front B+M light, in the end I took 2 reflector brackets and strapped the light to them using cable ties, and used cable ties to secure the brackets to the oversize bars. Looked totally weird but did a few thousand km after mounting like that with no problems, other than a pain if I had a flat and wanted to upend the bike.

2724891550_e4704312cd.jpg

My other road bike, a Dawes Audax Supreme 2008. Have used it to get to work a number of times, but prefer to use it for sunday rides when the steel frame is a lot more comfortable on the lower quality country roads.

The front forks have mounting points for luggage racks, I've tried and testing mounting Schmidt E6 lights on these using a long hex bolt with a nut as packing, will use 2 or 3 such lights with my hub dynamo this winter, fingers crossed will work OK.

How's that? You had loads of HTML in the IMG tag - you just need the URL of the JPEG.

_
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Underscore wrote:
    How's that? You had loads of HTML in the IMG tag - you just need the URL of the JPEG.

_

Thanks. I see the mistake now.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    mm nice 'guards.. bluemels or something? :lol:

If you are referring to my mighty 531 steed, yes the old guards are the self-same shoddy bluemels olympic, now upgraded with red tape (front one snapped due to emergency stop brought on by RLJ'ing bus).

I would replace them...but why? Make bike less attractive to vermin... :wink:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Hi just thought I would post an update on my Raleigh Record Sprint commuter with a 'before and after' set of pics already posted it in the original form back on page 8 of this thread, so here goes
    Phonebackup300108574-1.jpg
    As it was untouched.......
    P160708_1601.jpg
    Here it is nearly all done just need to go singlespeed, and get a Charge Spoon (if anyone ever has them in stock again) lol
    P160708_160201.jpg

Its really good fun and quick and light too, seriously thinking of going, singlespped though as its pretty flat here, and my commute is really just a short gun blast....
    Don't think I will do the fixie thing though, had a go on one with drops and nearly killed myself, think the required brain retraining won't happen in time before I do myself major harm......
    Soz to all the lovers of the drops just fancied the flats on this one, the Schwalbe Marathon plus are holding well, but do flex if not packed full of air and conering hard...
    Cheers bye for now :lol::):D
    Still loving my Carrera Vulcan but also loving my commuter converted Raleigh Record Sprint ooo it's so quick and a great commute hack yippeee get to ride it again in the morning . . . . . can't wait ha ha
  • Maybe I'm just being nostalgic, ESSEXMIRAGE, but I prefer the old look.

Although I guess the reincarnation is more comfy..
    http://cycling-london.blogspot.com/ - Urban Commuting by Bike Blog
  • POB_London
    POB_London Posts: 1,016
    The same bike, many versions. Now has full length 'guards and track-bend bars. Lovely. The on-one Pompino ROCKS. I now do a 28-mile each way commute on it.

I eventually decided the Pace carbon forks were just too long, so it now handles beautifully on Project 2s. The Hope mono mini on Open Pro front wheel is good for 2-finger stoppies and Goldtec fixie hubs have never let me down. Old Record strada chainset keeps me spinning.

bike_wall.jpg

Very narro bars for playing in traffic:
    Pomp_Disk_2.jpg

More or less as now, but with carefully fitted and 100% rattle-free mudguards. Note bell under seat and good-lukc spokeys :-)
    full_view.jpg
    blimey - bit windy / cold / wet innit? My blog is at http://www.lewismiller.info
  • biggstevie
    biggstevie Posts: 112
    Here's my new langster sorry about all the boxes we just moved into a new house & i dont have my shed yet.

langster.jpg
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    See my signature!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    edited September 2008
    IMG_0708.jpg

Built from parts bin/cheap parts and a secondhand frame - Full XT, Ritchey Pro finishing kit, FSA Moto X chainset. Some parts were secondhand.

IMG_0707.jpg

Built from Ambrosio racing frame + parts bought secondhand and bits off an old mountain bike - very light, goes like stink and I use it for everything (bristol is not too condusive to single speed - some bloody big hills - use this for going shopping, commuting and everything in between - has been raced too!!)

IMG_0705.jpg

Bike to work bike - Has some carbon bits + Ultegra pedals, will gradually become my commuter.
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    When it was brand new and shiney, its ideal for the short 7 mile trip from Hyde to Manchester, and with my weight and the hills it has the low gears I need too.

b2.jpg
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Marin.jpg

My wolf in rusty sheeps clothing :D

94 Marin, slick Schalbe City Jets, 48 tooth chainring, flat sawn off bars, spds, sella itallia flite gel max flow thingy (comfy), go faster diet coke seat post shim

Commute round trip of 26 miles, Twickenham - Southbank, 50 mins each way headwind dependent

FCN 8
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My Carrera Vanquish is my commuter, shame its abit too small for me and that I wont commute on it in fear of it getting stolen!

DSC00819.jpg
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Click the pic to embiggerise it.

tricrosssmallnf5.jpg
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    This is my current commuter , it's a poor pic ... damn florescent lighting :evil:

2856967554_7f8245b434.jpg
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • ESSEXMIRAGE: YES, YES, YES!!!! Go single! Old bikes look awesome like that. I love old bikes, I also love old bikes given a new lease of life...
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Dunston_checks_in
    Dunston_checks_in Posts: 78
    edited October 2008
    Here we go. My new ride (or at least new frameset, the 'bits' are all off my old bike):
    2889714205_11a5a23635.jpg
    The user previously known as Sea_Green_Incorruptible.

Soloist Team: http://tinyurl.com/3tjjcn
    Cycle Path Cruiser: http://tinyurl.com/4yvfrr
    Knobbly Action: http://tinyurl.com/44cofe
  • Fullbike-1.jpg

This is my cyclocross/road commuting bike
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Velodrone, were you cycling westbound on Upper Richmond Road at about 7.05 yesterday evening? I saw a black Principia frame and I'd never seen one before, and here you are posting that picture!
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    LandRover.jpg

now with added pannier rack and bags :lol:

Ok it's not very good but it's a start and it was the right price at the right time.

Looking to upgrade at some point next year, but the little minx will still be a decent leisure bike
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Just christened the new baby in my family.

th_11534_DSC00731_122_638lo.JPG

On One Inbred Slot Dropout, Onza Smart Guy Forks, Charge Spoon Saddle & Gusset Chain Tug mounted inboard and Cane Creak Aheadset. Everything else has been swapped from my GT.

th_11755_DSC00735_122_358lo.JPG
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • AndyManc
    New trailer attached.

2892829236_73055879cb_b.jpg
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • amircp
    amircp Posts: 132
    My new commuter - with hub gears for the winter
    commuter.jpg
  • chaley
    chaley Posts: 100
    This is my bomb proof daily....

DSCF2171.jpg

I've had it locked into 42/16 for a while and I'm hopefully going to get a fixed next month!
    Chaley
    2009 langster

Blasphemy is the only victimless crime
  • 2921722006_2034649f3d.jpg

1980's Coventy Eagle:
    Non-Sexist, Non-Racist, Non-Violent Egalitarian Chess: 32 grey pawns all on the same side
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    My bikes ...................

http://beta.yudu.com/item/details/16394/Snakehips--Bikes

I have commuted on the Hardrock and the Subway , and other bikes that I have owned and borrowed.

Snake
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • chaley wrote:
    This is my bomb proof daily....

DSCF2171.jpg

I've had it locked into 42/16 for a while and I'm hopefully going to get a fixed next month!
    Chaley

Lovely '32 hi-boy
    FCN 11, Hmmm
  • D@VE
    D@VE Posts: 73
    My Dolan & Claud Butler.

http://picasaweb.google.com/crazywavey/ ... 3254307442

The Claud Butler has a new chainset & pedals now.

I'm wanting to respray the frame also but what colour?

I use the Dolan most of the time but its nice to have a choice.
  • Trek5200.jpg

Only the last 1500 miles has seen off the Wolf Vector Comps and I am now running Shimano 5200 for them of you who like that sort of gubbins.

My first carbon and I like it lots................just need to get faster now!
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • AndyManc
    Here's my lovely Hardrock Pro 05 ,my winter commuter, I love this bike :? , It softens all the bumps, takes all my shopping , never asks to be maintained , has never had a puncture , goes off road with ease .......... *goes all starry eyed* :P

Letting the train take the strain :)

2996227206_baff6d14c3_b.jpg
    URBAN_MANC.png