Commuting bike pics

Comments

• Well after getting my Carrera Vulcan last month iv'e just inheritted a road bike ....a Raleigh Record Sprint, I am learning a few bits about it as I delve into the depths of Google etc, but was wanting to convert it to a commuted rather than use the Vulcan every day (although prob chop n change as the mood takes me) well its a larger frame which suits me 6'3" fine and was stored outside in the elements for over a year but is in very good condition, with reynolds 501 tubing, its all original and will need the following replacing,
    Saddle - ripped
    Tyres - perished
    Front wheel slight damage, valve broken off
    Chain - rusty
    Cables - if needed
    everything else looks remarkable even the surface rust spots will come off with some elbow grease......
    so was looking for suggestions as would like to change the bars to some straight ones and change the wheels and tyres, i would like to relocate the gear shift but think this will be a nightmare for a total beginner like me,
    How easy is it to change the bars will I need a new stem if so what should I be looking for and suggestions please for wheels prob gonna have to be an ebay purchase as trying to get it all done for bout £50 if poss,keep the budget commuter theme going hey...... :):D:lol:

Phonebackup300108574-1.jpg

Phonebackup300108573.jpg

Phonebackup300108571.jpg

Phonebackup300108572.jpg[/img]
    Still loving my Carrera Vulcan but also loving my commuter converted Raleigh Record Sprint ooo it's so quick and a great commute hack yippeee get to ride it again in the morning . . . . . can't wait ha ha
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    so was looking for suggestions as would like to change the bars to some straight ones and change the wheels and tyres, i would like to relocate the gear shift but think this will be a nightmare for a total beginner like me,

Don't lose the drops, far better than flat bars
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    He's right, wish I had some drop bars for my road bike (built from scrap). I am stuck with flat bars and bar ends for now, in fact I'll swap you if you like.
    Change the tyres, lube the chain, fix the front wheel, the valve is part of the tube surely? and stick some gaffer tape on the tear in the saddle, relocate the gear shifters to the bin and go single speed (eliminating the need for new gear cables).
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Well after getting my Carrera Vulcan last month iv'e just inheritted a road bike ....a Raleigh Record Sprint, I am learning a few bits about it as I delve into the depths of Google etc, but was wanting to convert it to a commuted rather than use the Vulcan every day (although prob chop n change as the mood takes me) well its a larger frame which suits me 6'3" fine and was stored outside in the elements for over a year but is in very good condition, with reynolds 501 tubing, its all original and will need the following replacing,
    Saddle - ripped
    Tyres - perished
    Front wheel slight damage, valve broken off
    Chain - rusty
    Cables - if needed
    everything else looks remarkable even the surface rust spots will come off with some elbow grease......

My Bro' in Law "stored" one of these in our garage for...well, forever actually. Anyhoo, yours looks in good nick, none of the above should be a problem: new chain should be cheap, cables ditto, and tyres will be on a 700c rather than old horror 27" like my old bus, so again not an issue. Chain may just need lubing. Saddle: if it works OK, and is comfy, just bung a cover on it :twisted:

£25 max

And stick with drops

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • pete236
    pete236 Posts: 204
    My transport.
    '03 Giant Rincon. not much but gets the job done!

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p253 ... CT0102.jpg

A load of new bits to go on to replace the old (original 6000 mile) bits. Wheels and knobbly tyres kept for weekend XC blasts though!

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p253 ... CT0105.jpg

One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.
  • My other bike, for a 'slower' commute :D

2006 Giant Trance with Rockshox Psylo Race fork
    Built for me by my mate Rowan @ Nirvana cycles, Westcott

trance.jpg
  • mailmannz wrote:
    Here are some pics of my darling boardman hybrid pro 8)
    _D203587.jpg

Wow, that looks a nice bike.! I suppose they are V expensive?
  • mailmannz wrote:
    Here are some pics of my darling boardman hybrid pro 8)

I've just knocked myself sick!

Ordered a scott sub 10 the other day and I'm thinking this is a much nicer,
    better spec'd bike..

Anyone know your rights on canceling and order after leaving a decent deposit? :shock:
  • jjstenso
    jjstenso Posts: 14
    Here's my Genesis Day 01 a.k.a the Mike Rutherford Rocket... (not coined by me thankfully)

Unfortunately he was in need of a good wash, blow dry and 3 in 1 lube spray when this photo was taken.

CIMG0592.jpg
  • dannyg
    dannyg Posts: 59
    This is mine recently purchased, but since then the weather has taken a very bad turn for the worse so i haven't had much chance to ride it yet. Very comfy and pretty quick i can do my 4.5 mile journey to work in about 11.5 mins so not bad going i don't think

Boardman_Hybrid_TEAM.jpg

It was splendid once i'd rebuilt since a work experience lad built it at Halfords, good job i didn't ride it home from the shop!!
    Dan daren't but he did anyway!!

Boardman Mountain Pro
    Boardman Hybrid Team
  • Pete789uk
    Pete789uk Posts: 46
    How do I post a picture on here
  • SamWise72
    SamWise72 Posts: 453
    I've ridden several bikes as my main commuter, but the most often have been the Raleigh 20, and Raleigh Royal tourer below (I like old bikes). Currently, I'm working on a hot-rod 20 with 7 speed hub and BMX rims, but while that's getting built, my Raleigh Superbe (bottom) is top of the list, now with Schwalbe Marathons and a rack in addition to what you see here. It's heavy, but the only real complaint is poor brake performance in the wet.

P6040010.jpg
    Image109.jpg
    P7050003.jpg
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • Hi Samwise

I have a Raleigh (Royal) just like that (I think) except that mine has half chrome stays. Does yours have 531ST tubing and Suntour dropouts? I was really lucky to get hold of it - it is in great condition but it seems that a lot of the original equipment has been changed. Do you know anything about the history of the bike? I had heard that it was originally only sold as a frame.

Cheers

Simon
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    Here's my new commuter:

original.jpg
  • SamWise72
    Hi Samwise

I have a Raleigh (Royal) just like that (I think) except that mine has half chrome stays. Does yours have 531ST tubing and Suntour dropouts? I was really lucky to get hold of it - it is in great condition but it seems that a lot of the original equipment has been changed. Do you know anything about the history of the bike? I had heard that it was originally only sold as a frame.

Cheers

Simon

I doubt that's the case - I've seen a few of them on eBay with similar equipment. I think it was Raleigh's Dawes Galaxy competitor; I don't know offhand what tubing mine is (I know it's 531), or indeed what the dropouts are, though I suspect they're suntour. I paid £20 for it, which was one hell of a deal....
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Catrike008a.jpg
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Thanks Samwise

That is one hell of a deal!! I paid NZ$80 for mine so pretty pleased with that. I'm yet to ride it as Raliegh intended though since I originally built it up into a fixed wheel bike. It was OK but perhaps not best suited to that so I'm looking forward to completing a geared build some time soon.

Simon
  • SamWise72
    It's certainly no track bike, but then not everyone wants that from their fixed gear! It'd make a great fixed commuter.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• It sure would - I found it much better though with a higher (63 inch gear) but with something a bit taller (72 ish) it just felt a wee bit staid. I have a track bike so it's no loss and I kind of feel that the old boy deserves something a bit more special than a cheap fixed conversion. I have a nice set of 27 inch Fiamme wheels with Airlite and Campy hubs, a TA crankset, Brooks etc so I am looking forward to getting it up and running some day soon!!!
  • Gr.uB
    Gr.uB Posts: 145
    niblue wrote:
    Here's my new commuter:

original.jpg

Ha !! Spot the small adjustment to the Lumicycle glowring - the use of gaffa tape to block the light coming back at you !! :D

That looks rather fast too :)
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    That tricross is beautiful!!!
  • 100%
    100% Posts: 236
    That Tricross is indeed nice - there's someone who frequently gets on the train I get to and from work with one, all kitted out with panniers and the like. I'm very tempted myself!

Cheers,
    Steve
  • niblue
    Gr.uB wrote:
    niblue wrote:
    Ha !! Spot the small adjustment to the Lumicycle glowring - the use of gaffa tape to block the light coming back at you !! :D

Well spotted - the Lumi's were bought for MTB night-riding and the tape is an essential tweak for that, otherwise the glow-ring is distracting.
    That looks rather fast too :)

Not with me on it...
  • niblue
    Cheers for the kind comments on my Tricross. It's now done it's first week commuting, as well as a stint off-road, and it is 100% everthing I hoped it'd be. Highly recommended.
  • Westbrom
    Westbrom Posts: 12
    Hi

I have just bought aTricross Sport from Edinburgh. I thought long and hard about the Giant SCR 1.5 but in the end plumped for the safer (and not that much more heavier) option. I am happy with my choice. It indeed does look good and the test run was great. With the triple on, the big hill that awaits me on my run home from work should not pos too much problems...... I hope!!!
  • mdg1157
    mdg1157 Posts: 222
    Trek 1.2 replaced my old roadified diamondback (killed it in February)

2283623034_ecf138eecb.jpg
  • This is an old road bike I swapped with my boss for some misc bits I had around. I ditched the gears and went single speed so I can ride and ditch. The ride is a road through a forest so when it is wet I ride all on road.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4 ... 1089802937

The second image is my alternate ride which is my main off road single speed that gets more miles on it than any of my bikes. When it is dry I ride though the forest but single track is limited.

The last is my main ride for long weeked stinits but has the occasional run as a commuter if I am going for a ride at lunch time.

I would love to embed the pics but the img tags don't seem to be workign for me
  • scally56
    scally56 Posts: 115
    my commuting bike to uni and work.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2 ... =277001095

Its not completey finished yet after a re-spray. still need some handle bar tape. Its a Claude Butler Levante with drop bars instead of Flat, with a double ring instead of triple. I did the re-spray, took about a week of sanding and spraying to get it finished.
    [/img]
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    nothing special, just a nippy bike to run around the city on/ a nice ride the odd weekend

Picture004.jpg
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP