West Lothian Roadies

Comments

• Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    is my chat that bad OS65? after a riding with me usually one's lugholes are in a worse state than their legs!

i'm aiming to be at the KWM tomorrow 0830 barring ice.....i had a day or so of feeling pretty shitty but only have a runny nose now so time to get riding again.....not been on road bike since the loch tay number with os65 but done a bit of MTBing when i was up in the cairngorms...crashed and hurt myself badly of course courtesy of an icy boardwalk at laggan wolftrax....
  • BillR1
    BillR1 Posts: 271
    Looks like ice tomorrow again guys so I will probably do some intervals for an hour and a half turbo in the morning and go out at 12ish for 30ish miles. Is anyone up for a mid day ride?

Rgds, Bill
  • Fat Head
    there's loads of liquid running out my nose and combined with self-inflicted mechanical problems i am going to miss tomorrow out.....i hoping to get out sunday morning so get in touch if you fancy it
  • Fat Head
    managed to get out myself yesterday (monday), whitburn, up the steep climb out of bathgate town centre, dechmont, back up to the hills, down to west binny, winchburgh, kirkliston, qeensferry, lithgow, avonbridge then home....50 miles on the button....i got totally pissed on and have never experienced cold hands like i did yesterday, thought i may be in danger of losing a few fingers...hands were in total pain and could barely control handlebars or levers....even worse when i got back in the house and i experienced the nightmare that is cold hands warming rapidly.. agony....felt like taking sledgehammer to my bike and never going near one again, thankfully feeling better today!
  • BillR1
    Well done mate I have the dreaded sick bug and have been off work a few days. Should be ok for a gentle one on Sat, weather permitting as my turbo will need new bearings at this rate !!!!
    Still looking for wheels and considering the Campag Shamal Ultra or Fulcrum racing Zero's, what do you think ??
    Speak soon.

Bill
  • Foz72
    Foz72 Posts: 81
    Good effort Fat Head...especially after the flu. Saturday looked like a total no-go with that freezing fog so went for a pad up on the Ochils. Another world up there; blue skies, white snow, sea of cloud over the Forth valley, with the Campsie windmills just peeking above the waves.

Back on the bike today - head down, arse up and keep thinking of Spring..
  • OS 65
    OS 65 Posts: 415
    I stayed in and rode the turbo at the weekend, it looked too icy for me.

I miss judged the temperature today and cycled in to Edinburgh. About half way, between Kirkliston and Winchburgh my back wheel started twitching and then sliding about when I was spinning at 23mph. I Pulled to the side of the road and discovered the surface was like glass. West Lothian hadn't salted at all. Called the Police to let them know and they said there had been crashes across the county. Later on I rode passed a bump and a god mile of traffic jams. It took my 1.5 hours to get in where normally I take about an hour.
    Horrible!
    oS 65
  • Fat Head
    good to see we're all managing to get out in our own time

foz, your riding must be coming along nicely given these hilly runs you are doing, how you feeling?

bill, can you get the campag shamal's in shimano - i dont think so....the zeros are the same wheels only a bit pricier in some places due to their finish...they are basically the shamals for shimano users....i have a pair i am itching to get back on in the better weather....you are welcome to try them out for a wee spin if you wish to test altho i dont know how much of a difference you would notice over your dura ace hoops...
  • BillR1
    Sad,

Yes the Campags now come in Shimano fitment so may consider them as a wee change.

Foz

Glad you are managing to get out, keep the miles up mate.

See you on saturday, hopefully !!!!!!!

Rgds, Bill
  • Foz72
    Sorry - meant a walk on the Ochils....call it cross-training. Though mountain biking at the Dumyat end is supposed to be good? It's pretty frustrating right now - either chucking it down or, if the skies are clear, it all freezes up. Best you can hope for is a bit damp and misty like this afternoon.....and crisp, icy days are great if you like getting out on the hills and mountains. Just keep the fire burning one way or another!
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Dumyat is pretty good for mountain biking. Bit wet for it up there just now I'd guess.

I'll need to get out on a road ride with you guys sometime if I can keep up.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Anybody out this Sat?
    Brian B.
  • BillR1
    me Brian

8.30 usual place

Rgds, Bill
  • OS 65
    I'll be there at 8.30. We'll need lights between 8 (when I start out) and 8.30 when its a wee bit dark.

Just heard Jason Macintyre has been killed while out training. He lives up in Fort William and broke Graeme Obree's 10 milee TT record last year and won the 25 champs.

Awful news. He leaves a wife and eight year old twins.

OS 65
  • Brian B
    Did not get to meet up with you guys this morning. I had fitted my Back light as it was still a bit dark when I left at 0800. Only got to Linlithgow when I could hear a grinding noise coming from my rear wheel.

Suddenly it seized and I skidded to a halt. On investigation found that my rear derailer had snapped off and jammed in my back wheel. The derailer was knackered and the wheel was wrecked and my winter Felt F70 has carbon rear seat stays which was snapped on the drive side when the derailer whipped round with the wheel. I can salvage a few bits but the back wheel and frame are beyond repair.

On the plus side I was going fairly quick and I did not hurt myself and by the time my better half picked me up and I got my Orbea ready to ride I was back out and about for 10am. The weather was good today but a tad windy and I went to Avonbridge, Armadale, Bathgate then down to Dechmont and then to Queemsferry and home. I saw a lot of people out today though.
    Brian B.
  • BillR1
    Brian,

Sorry to hear that mate, could have been worse though !!!

There was 6 of us out today, 3 fell off in the ice and Sad got 2 punctures so a long day but 35+ miles anyway and a new member Mike.. I think we have to go mountain biking in Beecraigs when it's icy or snowy maybe we can organise this ?

Hopefully see you next week.

Rgds, Bill
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Went to Crieff today...planned a 60miler taking in some unkown roads.

From Crieff headed west along the Strowan road...took a left and immediately was faced with a real stonking climb...this small road had ice dangers, up/down, very relentless. Eventually emerged at Braco...made my way along to Auchterarder..this is where I encountered the worst black ice ive ever seen-everywhere!, wasnt long before my arse was on the road and bent my derailler etc...fixed up but had hurt my leg some, then I encountered works which had dug up 1 mile of the road, had to carry my bike mostly thru this which took its toll on my Look cleats, off to better roads to Dunning, up the Steep Path of Condie Climb, it was a nightmare up there,Black ice everywhere, cut short my intentions and headed to Forteviot then made my way to the A9 for the steep climb upto Findo Gask, off this to Balgowan then took the lumpy road back to Crieff, 50 miles and a fair few steep hills.

Came to the conclusion that the UK is just sh*t for winter riding, never enjoyed it one bit, glad to get back without an ambulance...this was the first decent looking weekend I've seen for a while and even then it was trecherous....as you can tell i'm not amused!

But at least its miles...if nothing else.
  • Fat Head
    i'm feeling the pain from my fall now....came off in bathgate on black ice at a roundabout....was my fault, i pulled out quickly in front of a bus when i should have waited, hit the deck hard although my first instincts were to check where the bus was...thankfully it had time to stop and was in the other lane....let that be a lesson to us all, i've certainly taken something from it...respect junctions, especially so in bad weather

managed to ride on and complete the ride, getting 47 miles in but as soon as i got home my hip started seizing up badly....feel like i've done 12 rounds with mrs tyson :D

it felt mild as well, didnt think there would be any ice about....richy, i think its better to stay away from remote roads if there is any chance of ice

had a new rider, michael from pumpherston with us, and our friend from denny joined us again
  • Brian B
    A few casualties today then. My bro, Fathead and Bill are right.UK is pretty bad for road riding every weekend. Maybe we shoud go to Glentress for a day when the weather is bad. I have spare MTB and maybe we could cut the casualties or at least contribute to injuries in a positve way :lol:

P.S. Our friend from Denny did a 90 miler during the week and mocked me for picking the wrong day off work as my day was torrential rain again vs his sunny Wednesday - although I went out and did two hours in mega bleak artic conditions. He is seriuosly trying to up his form for the sportive season and he is pretty good over the long distance as well as climbing.
    Brian B.
  • OS 65
    Forgot it was my son's 6th birthday when I posted about coming out last saturday! so didn't make it. I met our friend from Denny (Neil?) at The Bike clinic in Brightons, after hearing about your crashes I was relieved I couldn't make it. west Lothian are really poor at salting the roads.

I went on the turbo for 1.15 at night and did a really good work out.

Rode to Dunblane over tack-ma-doon on Sunday. Roads were great, no ice. My legs were really feeling the after effects of intervals on the Tack though. I reckon its tougher than the crow road. The descent into Stirling from Cambus Barron is wonderful

Used my newly-set-up winter bike, very comfy but the fork rake is so long its like I've driving a truck and not a bike when I go round corners

OS65
  • Foz72
    Was thinking that yesterday seemed a good day for it; mild but fairly dry. How did you get back from Dunblane - back over the Campsies? I've found the flatter/more direct roads I've tried pretty busy.

Last winter I was living in London and riding the Kentish lanes. I can't remember ever being troubled by ice, it's just a risk I'm not that used to judging yet. Touch wood I've managed to avoid it so far but it'll probably get worse before it gets better.
  • OS 65
    I'm afraid I came back from Dunblane down the M9...in the car! My in laws live in Dunblane and if we visit I try to get a bike ride out of it. I've cycled all the way on the A9 before and you're right foz, a little too busy for my liking. This longer route is, Linlithgow-Avon Bridge - Slammanan - Hulks Road - Croy - Kilsyth - Carron bridge - Banockburn - Stirling - Bridge of Allan - Dunblane. The worst bit is Stirling, I don't know any routes that avoid the town.

This winter has been particularly bad for ice, the last two winters weren't as cold. I don't think the councils are salting as they should though.

I was in Wales over xmas and all the b roads seem to have had a visit from the gritters.
  • Fat Head
    that route to kilsyth is a handy one to know as we could use it as a longer training run one day....i spoke to you guys about this before....i know you can get to kilsyth via croy on minor-ish? roads.....do you have any idea how many miles it is to kilsyth from avonbridge using the route you took os65? ps hulks road sounds fun? where does it get that name from - is it so tough it makes you go green and lumpy?
  • Foz72
    Some might find this a useful link

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stat ... .html?MR=1

If you look down the bottom there are weather data feeds from stations in Bathgate, Polmont and Livingston.
  • OS 65
    Not exactly sure of the distance - time is maybe two hours from Linlithgow to Kilsyth. And the route I follow is about 2.75 hours from Linlithgow to Lennoxtown if I want to go up the crow road. I follow the most direct route on b roads.

Hulks road is a nice quiet b road that has some poor surface, but, you do have to what out for the comic hero twins that really have a go at you on the return journey of a round trip. ;)
  • Brian B
    This weeks cycling weekly killer climb is from Linlithgow up to Cairnpapple. Its good to see other people rate our local climbs.
    Brian B.
  • Fat Head
    ......does anyone here also have difficulty cycling passed the boozer without stopping in for a pint on the way to do this climb like the chap who submitted this climb to the comic????

not coming out tomorrow morning, still feeling sore after last week's spill and got some work to do....have a good weekend all
  • BillR1
    Im on turbo duty tomorrow due to the weather forecast guys.

have a good one, see you all next week

Bill
  • Brian B
    Weather is really dire and it has not really stopped raining for about two months. I have been doing a lot of swimming and the local pool suggested that i should but a season ticket and then swim home :lol:
    Brian B.
  • Foz72
    Don't know if it's been posted elsewhere (can't see it) but an account of a nasty club run pile-up near Winchburgh, West Lothian. Sure many of you will know the road well.

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Cycli ... 3723327.jp

Have to say I think its a case without moral merit, and hopefully no legal merit either. If 'Volenti non fit injuria' ever applied, it's here. If you ride close to someone's back wheel, at speed, you're taking a risk and you know it.

One thing that did cross my mind is that they were near the end of a 50 miler. Do you think that the concentration required for riding in a group can wane once you start to get tired?