This whole RLJ thing

Comments

• It is illegal, selfish and how come RLJers always have that furtive guilty look when nudging out at junctions (because their commute is SO much more urgent and important than the rest of us).

Also, people won't remember the hard work carried out by cycle campaign groups across the land (particularly pertinent with Bike Week nearly upon us), but they will remember the pillock that nearly smacked into them whilst breaking a red light or hopping up on to the pavement to avoid it. It sets the work of anyone trying to promote the cause of cycling back by years.

How many boards would the Mongols hoard if the Mongol hordes got bored?
    How many boards would the Mongols hoard if the Mongol hordes got bored?
  • Can a RLJer please be nice enough to reply and explain to me the reason why it's not acceptable for small motorbikes to jump red lights?

That's if you can conjure up a valid reason as to why only push bikes may pass through red lights...
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by funkyrayman</i>

Can a RLJer please be nice enough to reply and explain to me the reason why it's not acceptable for small motorbikes to jump red lights?

That's if you can conjure up a valid reason as to why only push bikes may pass through red lights...
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    They don't have an answer!

SNAPS
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eat My Dust</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by funkyrayman</i>

Can a RLJer please be nice enough to reply and explain to me the reason why it's not acceptable for small motorbikes to jump red lights?

They don't have an answer!

SNAPS

It seems so. Seems like a perfectly valid question to me...
  • Crooky
    Crooky Posts: 604
    Roastie you raised some interesting points and I totally agree with all of them. However if you want a decent discussion you've come to the wrong place all you're get here is the same old ridiculous replies like "if bikes do it why can't cars" or slave mentality replies like " oh but it upsets the motorists".

It's not worth it mate, just carry on being a responsible RLJer just as I intend to.
  • Eat My Dust
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Crooky</i>

It's not worth it mate, just carry on being a responsible RLJer just as I intend to.

Change the word "RLJer" for "speed limit breaking driver".

SNAPS
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Crooky</i>

Roastie you raised some interesting points and I totally agree with all of them. However if you want a decent discussion you've come to the wrong place all you're get here is the same old ridiculous replies like "if bikes do it why can't cars" or slave mentality replies like " oh but it upsets the motorists".

Interesting. Can you answer my question above then? Not cars (large vehicle). Small 125 or less motorbike, same size as a bicycle. Do you feel he is entitled to RLJ for his own safety?
  • Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cupoftea</i>

Yeah Really RLJing is so important, it's resposible for how many deaaths? As apposed to speeding cars. But then come on this really matters

I really don't think we should talk about lorries turning left or cyclists riding off the pavement, that would be a real waste of time

15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness

You are blatantly breaking the law for your own convenience.

You should get your own house in order before you tell other road users how to behave.

Why do some of us have to obey the rules so the selfish ones can disregard it?

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">
  • Crooky
    Crooky Posts: 604
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eat My Dust</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Crooky</i>

Change the word "RLJer" for "speed limit breaking driver".

SNAPS

If you can't see the difference between a car and a bicycle you have a problem. And a motorbike for that matter (funky).
  • Cab
    Cab Posts: 770

Meaning that you don't have an anwer to the above question, or even a good response to the other arguments put forward either.

<i>Free baby elephants for every citizen</i>
    Vote Arch for Prime Minister
  • Eat My Dust
    Don't be soft. I'm trying to demonstrate how you're argument is the same as other selfish people who decide which laws they want to abide to. Funky has a very valid point. I can out accelerate, and have a higher top speed than a clapped out pizza shop moped, so why can't they jump the lights "safely"?

SNAPS
  • Hackbike 6
    Probably because they have a number plate.

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">
  • cupofteacp
    cupofteacp Posts: 578
    So if the law tells you to put your head in the oven you obey?
    By the way I don't advocate breaking the law

Sitting at lights is dangerous, juntions are dangerous, just look at the figure for cyclists deaths between 1999 and 2005. RLJing provides a method of mitigating those risks.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that the present set of traffic lights systems increase your (that is if you cycle) risks of being killed.

Just look at the recent pieces in the press and on the CTC website.

I tell you what the best thing is for all of us to start driving to work

or we could do as CM has threaten and all cycle like cars and sit 1 1/2 mts out, blocking the traffic riding slowly, can you imagine if we got every cyclist to do that, all the summer cyclist, all the numptys, all the MTBers, all the Roadies

15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • Cab
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cupoftea</i>

So if the law tells you to put your head in the oven you obey?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thats not a good analogy. The law doesn't tell me to put my head in an oven, it tells me to wait at a red light. The former would kill you, the latter wouldn't.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    By the way I don't advocate breaking the law

Sitting at lights is dangerous, juntions are dangerous, just look at the figure for cyclists deaths between 1999 and 2005. RLJing provides a method of mitigating those risks.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

No, it doesn't. Please, show me stats that show casualties waiting behind a junction in an appropriate road position. The simple truth is that if you shuffle to the front and wait to the left of another vehicle then you're asking for trouble, if you pick an appropriate and safe road position and wait your turn to go across a junction you'll be much, much safer.

• The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cab</i>

No man is an island (as one more eloquent than me once said). Your actions impact on more than just you; the more cyclists are seen to needlessly disobey rules, the more we all get it in the neck. Like it or not, thats how it is; I defy you to bring the subject up amongst motorists without getting loads of vitriol.
    Don't cyclists "get it in the neck" anyway?
    The real reason a lot of motorists don't like cyclists is because they can make better progress through traffic, but this doesn't sound like a legitimate gripe so they will always think up some excuse.
  • The Bosscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cab</i>

Red light jumping is (in my experience) invariably indicative of plodding, slow, ineffective cyclists who neither obey the laws of the road nor guidelines for safe cycling (good road positioning, being visible, etc.).<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">That's not a reason not to RLJ though, because if you do you'll be seen as "plodding" by Cab. Oh no.
  • Hackbike 6
    Don't believe that.

<font color="blue">
    <font color="blue">

• Eat My Dust
    I'm sorry, but in all the years that I've been cycling I've only ever had one incident at a set of red traffic lights, and this was when I had stopped for a red and a ****wit in the car behind ran it and nearly wiped me out.

"Just look at the recent pieces in the press and on the CTC website"

If a journalist told you to stick your head in a oven, would you?

SNAPS
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Don't be soft. I'm trying to demonstrate how you're argument is the same as other selfish people who decide which laws they want to abide to. Funky has a very valid point. I can out accelerate, and have a higher top speed than a clapped out pizza shop moped, so why can't they jump the lights "safely"?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

They very often do, particularly after 10pm in my neck of the woods...

Folders
  • The Bosscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eat My Dust</i>

Hmmm, what about it being illegal?

I'd shoplift if I was allowed to, as it's illegal I don't!

But shoplifting has a victim. RLJing is a victimless crime.
  • The Bosscp

Probably is, safety-wise. Not advisable though, as if there's a camera on the lights you can get photographed and ticketed.
  • Eat My Dust
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

What if you hit a pedestrian??

Oh I forgot, that would be there fault for not looking where they were going!!

SNAPS
  • The Bosscp

Interesting. Can you answer my question above then? Not cars (large vehicle). Small 125 or less motorbike, same size as a bicycle. Do you feel he is entitled to RLJ for his own safety?
    He's less likely to need to though, as he's more likely to be able to accelerate at the same speed as or faster than the cars when the lights change.
  • Eat My Dust
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

He's less likely to <b>need</b> to though, as he's more likely to be able to accelerate at the same speed as or faster than the cars when the lights change.

So you "need" to jump the lights? are you a big fat bloater?

SNAPS
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

He's less likely to need to though, as he's more likely to be able to accelerate at the same speed as or faster than the cars when the lights change.

That's not true. The smallest bike i've ever ridden was a 125cc and that couldn't out do cars at all. Those pizza boys are on 50/70/90cc bikes. Also most 50cc bikes top out at 30 mph. So it is quite conceivable a cyclist can out accelerate and reach a higher top speed.

(Original post was a bit harsh...)
  • Hackbike 6

Shoplifting you will get nicked eventually.The worst I have heard for RLJing is a fine.

<font color="blue">
    <font color="blue">

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cupoftea</i>

Sitting at lights is dangerous, junctions are dangerous <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sorry but that is cack and is often the argument used by a cyclist who cannot be bothered to obey the law. Just admit it, you jump lights because you cannot be arsed to wait.

My e bay bargain œ 31.05
    http://tinyurl.com/366awv

My commuting bike
    http://tinyurl.com/366awv
  • The Bosscp

What if you hit a pedestrian??

Then the crime for which the pededstrian was a victim of is careless cycling, not RLJing, as the very fact that the pedestrian was hit was not purely because the cyclist had RLJed, but due to the fact they didn't look out for the ped while doing it.
  • Cab
    Don't cyclists "get it in the neck" anyway?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Not most of the time, no. In fact nearly every day I have as near as dammit an uneventful ride in which most motorists are friendly. But the more we get idiot cyclists acting like, well, idiot cyclists the worse we get it.

Look at the vitriol from Londoners towards the increased number of cycists there, its nearly all based on red light jumping. Sooner or later we'll see some pretty draconian anti-cycling laws because of this.

• Cab
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by funkyrayman</i>That's not true. The smallest bike i've ever ridden was a 125cc and that couldn't out do cars at all. Those pizza boys are on 50/70/90cc bikes. Also most 50cc bikes top out at 30 mph. So it is quite conceivable a cyclist can out accelerate and reach a higher top speed.

(Original post was a bit harsh...)

It isn't just conceivable, its something I manage sometimes. Not especially hard, especially if the little motorbike is poorly maintained.