This whole RLJ thing

1789101113»

Comments

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tstegers</i>

Theo Stegers, deluded, assumptive, inaccurate, reckless.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Says it all really.

My e bay bargain œ 31.05
    http://tinyurl.com/366awv

My commuting bike
    http://tinyurl.com/366awv
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    The simple fact is that you think you're too high and mighty to bother with petty laws, rules, codes or conventions, so you try to justify it with this safety argument. Just learn to ride your bike properly.

This sig is under construction.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    Theo, you're talking nonsense.

I'm struggling to work out whether you don't have the capacity to understand figures and research, or whether you know that you're clutching at straws that don't exist but hope that everyone is dumb enough not to see the bleedin' obvious. Well we do Theo.

RLJ if you like. But don't try to pretend that you're purely doing it for safety. Be a man Theo.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tstegers</i>

<font face="Verdana"></font id="Verdana">Mister Paul
    All in the above two posts is a good example of your attempts to use specific examples to discredit a general danger. Consistent with the crass "undertaking" speculation we have seen from you so many times before. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Nope. They are examples. You know full well that a good many of your claimed 130 figure include such examples. I don't know who you are trying to kid Theo. That research has been read by many people on here, and is freely available to anyone else.
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tstegers</i>

If it was not safer to jump than to comply you would expect at least a third of the total killed when complying to be killed while jumping. This on the most generous measure of the numbers who jump vs the numbers who comply. What do we have by your count? About 100: 0. I'll settle for that. For that matter I will settle for Jenny Jones's count too. Wasn't that 25 killed while "waiting" 1999-2004? For the nth time please explain the nil. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You still don't get it do you? Did you go to school? It's not about complying or not Theo. Read the research. Read the notes. Show us which of the incidents were about complying or not. Many of the incidents clearly had nothing to do with complying with lights. These can be discounted immediately from your claimed figure, but you still refuse to. The others require further investigation. Which you haven't done. You've got no evidence to back up your claims. The only evidence you've provided is a document which we can all see doesn't support your claims and which you unbelievably still claim does, and a load of "well <insert name here> agrees with me".

The truth is that the six that I am aware of who have been killed at lights since late December last are probably representative. I have not seen one of them described as incompetent or inexperienced. Quite the reverse in the four cases among this group that I saw described. Spare me the "excited" description by the way, it's deluded, assumptive, inaccurate.

A concession! Wonderful! Your 130:0 has now come down to 6:0. Now we're getting somewhere. All we have to do now is get more information on exactly what happened, and what could have been done to avoid it.

• dondare

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dondare</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

That's Dondare you pusillanim<b>o</b>us little turd. <b>Fixed.</b>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><font face="Verdana"></font id="Verdana">

ddddddare.not! "pusillanimus little turd", I take it you mean pusillanimous. I'm not too familiar with the word, I had to look it up. OED: Timid, lacking courage. While I had the dictionary to hand I also looked up turd. I thought I was familiar here - but just in case. Turd: a ball of excrement.

So I am a timid excrement baller. Hm... But I have repeatedly irritated you and you have repeatedly made yourself look foolish. I am thinking here of the fact you are apparently cowed by rhetorical questions from drivers and acquaintances concerning cyclists who jump lights, ride up one way streets and on pavements. <b> These questions never arise from my acquaintances. </b> <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'm sure they're very careful never to raise the subject with you.<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

Not to mention your silly claims that accidents do not happen at red lights. And the curious question in your penultimate post to this thread, asking about the ratio of people fined jumping reds to people fined going through greens. Eh?? Then we have the self aggrandising claims to writing "excellent" letters to The Standard.

So if I am a timid excrement baller what does that make someone who is showing signs of obsession with the same? A subordinate/junior excrement baller?

Please remember after balling up your excrement to wash your hands. And please while you are at it think about why cyclists are so infrequently killed or injured when jumping lights compared to the numbers killed when complying with them. Answers please. If you leave the excrement alone it should be easy for you...

Theo Stegers

You do go on, don't you.

• tstegers
    tstegers Posts: 300
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dondare</i>

The simple fact is that you think you're too high and mighty to bother with petty laws, rules, codes or conventions, so you try to justify it with this safety argument. Just learn to ride your bike properly.

<font face="Verdana"></font id="Verdana">I'm torn between saying nothing as you apparently capitulate by changing the subject or pointing out that the "high and mighty" stuff emanates from the direction of the sanctimony set who continually bang on about jumpers. It is generally wrong to accuse cyclists of being high and mighty. We are too often reminded of how vulnerable and insignificant we are. After I made my reply to your "pusillanimous" post I read one of your contributions to the other RLJ thread. In it I detected a flava of in traffic humility so I guess you will understand what I am talking about when I say cyclists are generally not high and mighty. Some are, despite what you may think, I am not one of them.

Theo Stegers
    Theo Stegers
  • dondare
    Then stop at red lights.

• dondare

<font face="Verdana"></font id="Verdana">I'm torn between saying nothing as you <b>apparently capitulate</b><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Never!<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> by changing the subject or pointing out that the "high and mighty" stuff emanates from the direction of the sanctimony set who continually bang on about jumpers. It is generally wrong to accuse cyclists of being high and mighty. We are too often reminded of how vulnerable and insignificant we are. After I made my reply to your "pusillanimous" post <b>I read one of your contributions to the other RLJ thread.</b> <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Which one?<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">In it I detected a <b>flava</b><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">flavour?<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> of in traffic humility so I guess you will understand what I am talking about when I say cyclists are generally not high and mighty. Some are, despite what you may think, I am one of them.

Theo Stegers
  • tstegers

Then stop at red lights.

font=Verdana][/font=Verdana]

For me jumping them is, among other things, about humility - get out of their way and leave them to it...about knowing your limitations and quietly exploiting your advantages, key ones being lightness and flexibility - it's nothing to do with "high and mighty".

Theo Stegers
    Theo Stegers
  • dondare
    It provokes motorists to hostility. This can lead to dangerous overtaking (for instance) and this hostility is directed at <i>all</i> cyclists.
    It can lead to prejudice which can affect court judgements; it can even influence debates in the Houses of Parliament (as I've demonstrated) which could have serious consequences with regards to future legislation.
    Saving a few minutes on your commute just isn't worth all this. And if you learn to position yourself correctly at the lights you won't die under the wheels of a left-turning truck.

• tstegers

b]I read one of your contributions to the other RLJ thread.</b> <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Which one?<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">In it I detected a <b>flava[/b]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">flavour?

Theo Stegers

The contribution to the other thread I had in mind:

"As a dutiful red-light-stopper, it does annoy me when some trundler(s) pass me at the lights then get in my way for the 50 yards or so. However, in spite of their rudeness and ignorance I tend not to get too upset with them, and I can't help thinking that this is what many motorists must be experiencing all the time from cyclists.
    Imagine you're waiting (in a car) at the lights, and while you're there several cyclists filter through and plant their bikes in front of you. The lights change and with painful slowness these engineless annoyances move off in a ragged bunch that is too wide to overtake.
    Cyclists often act with impatient anger towards other cyclists and to pedestrians who "get in their way" and yet cannot understand how motorists can feel the same way towards them."

I know how to spell flavour, I believe the word "flava" is "street" for something similar but embodying/implying something more personal and subtle. I used the word to acknowledge my appreciation of the fact you were not "speechifying" for a change. For contrast, and as a demonstration of what I mean here, consider any post by Mister Paul. Speechifying, one and all. For clarity of meaning, Speechifying? From the OED: contrived and disingenuous bo**ocks by another name.

Theo Stegers
    Theo Stegers
  • dondare
    That was a red light etiquette thread, not a red light jumping thread.

Technically, anyone who passes me at the lights is a jumper, since I always stop at the line. However, they probably don't realize this, or else don't care.

• Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719

For me jumping them is, among other things, about humility -...

You really do have your head on backwards, don't you?

• Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    I got overtaken by some fat *fool* today on the Bow Flyover and christ he was fast...either that or I was slow.My only excuse was I feel like **** today.I really wanted to race him but he sailed off into the distance straight past the red at the next junction <font color="red">before</font id="red"> Carpenters road going towards Stratford.I guess it wasn't safe for him to hang about then.[:D]

*=I didn't type that.[:0]

I will never know how he was so fast and I was so slow.[xx(]

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">

How not to lock a bike. http://i14.tinypic.com/52355zr.jpg
  • dondare
    Perhaps he was on something.

• Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    <font color="red">I am what I would like to believe is a responsible RLJer.</font id="red">

So is everyone else but that just generally turns out to be a load of old bollox.

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">

How not to lock a bike. http://i14.tinypic.com/52355zr.jpg