Commute distance.

Comments

• ginger01
    ginger01 Posts: 11
    I've got a 10mile e/w commute from Kingston upon Thames to North Acton, pretty nice run and traffic free at the times I travel 6am and 7pm (currently work 12hr shifts), so about 80 miles a week. Takes about 40mins. Sets me up nicely for work, but the ride home is sometimes slower ;-)

Soon to be working mon-fri 9-5, things will change Im sure as there will be loads more traffic. hmmm. Still it should take my average to over 100 a week!
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    erm, 650 metres for my current job, but I come home for lunch so that makes about 1.5 miles a day. I will start making longer detours soon, honest...

<hr noshade size="1"><b><font size="1">If a baby dog is a puppy and a baby sheep is a lamb, then what's a baby elephant?</font id="size1"></b>
  • gaterz1981
    gaterz1981 Posts: 503
    Commute 8 miles each way. But in the summer will look at ways of extending it. Dont want to settle into same mileage day in day out as my body will get to use to short trips.
  • Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    well I seem to cope pal.[:p]

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="black">Newly Learnt Train to Drive. </font id="black"></font id="size1">[:)]
  • Just started 17.5 miles each way, mostly in the Flat Fenlands. ( Mepal to Godmanchester ). Hills not a problem ( there arent any ) but wind definetly can be !

Often wimp out because of 1 dangerous road section and take bike on roof of car to Erith.

Last section through St Ives and Hemingfords very scenic.

Often see lone cyclist heading out of Sutton down the Erith Straight at about 0700 every day.

Dodgy Rogey
    Dawes Audax 03
    Claud Butler "Land Rover" ( Its about the same weight )
  • About 12 miles one way along rural roads in sunny Scotland, into wind going into wind coming back HUH!

Cannondale R700, weekend sports fun
    Specialized Tricross, this commuters favourite
    Trek 7000, Old Skool Mud in the woods
    My Commute; http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=169808
    Cannondale R700, weekend sports fun
    Specialized Tricross, this commuters favourite
    Trek 7000, Old Skool Mud in the woods
    My Commute; http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=169808
  • amircp
    amircp Posts: 132
    Usually 5.5 miles boths ways, with a big hill. Currently going out on a 13.5 mile extended route - enjoying the light mornings!

4x4s - no better than flares
  • Easyridercp
    Easyridercp Posts: 217
    Basildon to Ilford, between 47 and 60 miles round trip depending on how I feel, but only up to three times a week.
  • Get off train at East Croydon and cycle to Holborn = 12 miles out. Train all way back to Brighton then extended ride along sea front = 6 miles. Total incl ride to/from stations = 20 miles all on Brompton.

Sometimes do laps of Hyde Park before work to get the miles in, very scenic.

Kim
  • DPV
    DPV Posts: 108
    6 miles each way, or 6.5 on quiet streets.
    YOR A IDIOT
    IMA IDIOT
    YOR A IDIOT
  • Shakka
    Shakka Posts: 73
    25 miles each way from Ely (Fens again!) to Bury St Edmunds, on fantastically quiet roads. Good fun drafting tractors when they're about!
    Very flat route, but would love to have a couple of decent hills to tackle.
    Shakka

Here's the route...http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/24695

Edited to include route profile
  • Commute 9 miles each way. But in the summer will look at ways of extending it again
  • Bike2work
    Bike2work Posts: 79
    3.5 miles each way at average of 14 mph through Leeds.
  • Graemecp
    Graemecp Posts: 479
    Normally 15 miles each way (Longniddry to Edinburgh, driving to Lniddry station carpark), but sometimes North Berwick to edinburgh round trip (50 miles) on a Friday for the crazy hell of it.
  • PO Paul
    PO Paul Posts: 114
    21 mile round trip, Croydon to Old St.

Lovely scenic route, including Streatham, Brixton, Kennington and Elephant & Castle
  • 14 miles each way, Teddington to Soho

i'd rather be out for 0 than at my desk for 9
    i\'d rather be out for 0 than at my desk for 9
  • Rider_roo
    Rider_roo Posts: 64
    24km each way, flat terrain, great cycle paths and generally fair weather (it doesn;t rain too much in Western Australia!!)....but a 15-20mph headwind for most of the return journey 6 months of the year!

Rider-roo
  • wastelander
    wastelander Posts: 557
    9.3 miles - uphill for the last 4 miles into a headwind but wheeeeeeeeeee on the way home :o)

One more turn of the wheels...just one!
  • stefano
    stefano Posts: 254
    I do 36 kms (18 each way) everyday including the days with the snow and the stormy weather. I ride a single speed Langster in London and it is great!!!
    [8D]
  • SPEEDY
    SPEEDY Posts: 407
    10 miles each way, but on nice days i take the long way round, which makes it 13miles. ave journey time (10 miles) 34 mins
  • B1ondini
    B1ondini Posts: 25
    <font size="3"><font color="blue"><font face="Comic Sans MS">I work 12 hour shifts so have to get up at 5:30 to get to work on time. I do 7 miles each way and it takes 30 mins.

My commute takes me along an old (smooth tarmac/broken glass mix) railway line, through town, and finishing with 2.5 miles of cycle path along the riverbank - always into the wind!!

A nice, pleasant route with NO HILLS!</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="blue"></font id="size3">

Enhancing Muscles, not Destroying the Environment!

Enhancing Muscles, not Destroying the Environment!

My commute is Staines to Euston - about 19.5 miles with no hills. Once or twice a week in the summer (I take the train in the winter!) My aim is to do it every day for one week at some point this summer.

Anyone else do this sort of route?
  • 58 miles one-way (Cambridge to London) and 5 miles back (thank God for First Capital Connect Trains!) 3-4 days a week. I do both ways once a fortnight if the weather is good.
  • Rider_roo
    Rider_roo Posts: 64
    chapeau to ejls2 - good effort

Rider-roo
  • et a vous aussi Rider Roo!

I'm absolutely pathetic in headwinds so anyone who can deal with one for pretty much 6 months solid deserves some respect in my book (even if they do have superior Aussi weather!)
  • My commute is 26 mile round trip 4 days a week from Todmorden to Haslingden. Bacup hill is enroute (1300 feet) which needs climbing and descending both ways. The descent on the way back has a few sharp bends potholes and lorries delivering to the compost facility to look out for. Since the composting facility reopened recently the road has been very muddy at least once a week so to avoid the descent on the way back I regularly trail off road over Todmorden Moor at the top of Bacup hill. There are a number of routes over the moor but the one I tend to use follows the trail over (not on) Flowerscar Road dropping in over a style at Lydgate. This involves more off road climbing, steep stony descents and single track riding but brings me out near my house so I avoid the centre of Todmorden as well as the road when it is really muddy and potentially trecherous. It takes between 50 and 70 minutes each way depending on the weather or route I choose on the way back. Due to the mix of riding on this commute I have been using a Columbus Cyclo-x bike with Campagnolo Veloce groupset and Mitchellin Mud Jet 2 tyres.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Well, my first post on here.

Just getting back into cycling seriously again after a few years of lighter cycling. Used to commute 4 times a week from Stockport to Knutsford 19 miles each way, then moved jobs to Manchester and did the 9 miles each way, every day, until a nasty accident with a transit van, and my wife banned me. Stopped commuting (but not cycling) for some time, and now just started up once a week Stockport to Warrington, 24 miles each way, about 1 hour 25 mins including traffic. Using this to get the odd day in with a good mileage without having to vanish for 3 hours on a weekend.

Half of the journey is on busy roads, Stockport A560 through to Altrincham, then off on the lanes via Dunham Massey Park. Will go to two days a week when the weather is good. Takes about half an hour longer than in the car.
  • About a year ago I sold my Fausto Coppi Treviso along with my other bikes, house car etc etc to go travelling around the world. Im recently back, and havent riden a bike for a year. I used to ride the fairly flat 6 miles to work, and managed to get it down to below 18 mins.

Last weekend I bought a second hand, but brand new (tyres were flat, brakes werent set up) On one Pompino, with a freewheel on one side. This morning I rode my Pompino for the first time (bar the couple of test runs to make sure everything was set up ok) the 15.5 miles from Bristol to my new job in Clevedon in an hour. It was a great buzz, I cant believe I made it to be fair, a bit hillier, busier and longer.

Just hope the weather stays good for the homeward journey.

Bzzzzz

riddle me this, what gets wet when drying?
    Bzzzzz

riddle me this, what gets wet when drying?
  • My commute is 29.6 miles one way i do this three times per week and catch the train the other two times!

One small ride for Cyclists one giant step for mankind
    One small ride for Cyclists one giant step for mankind
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Blimey Rich, that's a beast!

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">
This discussion has been closed.