Commute distance.

Comments

• 5 miles to and 8 miles back (scenic route)

very enjoyable ride not much traffic
  • Depending on the weather 11 - 50 km to work, 12 km back (I'm always too hungry to be riding the long way around on the way home).
    And yes, I take different routes to and from work: mornings down empty Oxford road towards Stockport, in the evening I brave the A6 to Manchester.
  • bretty77
    bretty77 Posts: 110
    11 miles each way - can take anything from 45 to 60 minutes.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=696877
  • Amazing ride this morning: I cycled from Manchester to Bramhall and then back to Reddish; all in all it was about 35 km and it took me just over an hour. Great weather and light (half-term) traffic. Bliss.
  • Norvcp
    Norvcp Posts: 1,485
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by meddy</i>

Hi Swanny ,

just over 5 miles each way...usually 20 mins each way
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Exactly the same as me!

In God we trust, incorporated

"Prejudice burns brighter when it\'s all we have to burn"
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by simoncp</i>

8.8 miles there, but 8.9 miles back because of some one way streets.

Same here, spookily... [:0]
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    8.5 miles to work. 8.7 back home.
    Double the distance I used to do.

I live in Cornwall and this end of the country is hilly, what's London like - the bits I have visited are flat - is it all like that ?
  • 4 mile from work, all up hill.
    commute between 4 and 10 mile each way, depending upon how I feel. 20 to 40 minutes at a guess.....(depends if its up or down)
    Jas

It'll be cheaper in the long run......honest
    It\'ll be cheaper in the long run......honest
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Minicrank</i>

5 miles each way when my broken hand heals ! [:(]

I live in Cornwall and this end of the country is hilly, what's London like - the bits I have visited are flat - is it all like that ?

Yes, all flat, and if you go beyond the M25 you drop off the edge! [:D]

Seriously, there are a few "minor" hills which can be sought out for training purposes (unless they happen to be on your commute - Highgate Hill is often on mine). Otherwise pretty flat.

there's no such thing as steep hills - just the wrong gear

a serious case of small cogs
  • stacky
    stacky Posts: 26
    Thornton Heath to Brick Lane - about 11.5 miles (23 in total), pretty busy all the way but also pretty flat.
  • srw647
    srw647 Posts: 135
    Half a mile to the station, then 4.5 miles across London. Nice and flat -- I'm not a masochist. Been doing it for 10-and-a-half years (minus eighteen months or so in the middle), had a handful of real near misses (but none for months) and two encounters with opening car doors. Never hurt.

The look on driver's faces as they see my bike fold in on itself is almost (but not quite) worth the crash.
  • 10 miles each way Bexleyheath to Bermondsey, the only opportunity I get to ride at the moment.

Plugging away but getting nowhere!
  • 7 miles each way. Very little choice of route. Part of it includes a horrible busy road. You can see it here although I don't really do it at that speed.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not"

- Dr Seuss

<insert baby elephant reference of your choice here>
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot
    Nothing is going to get better. It\'s not"
    - Dr Seuss

Give Baby Elephants Room!
  • bugslop
    bugslop Posts: 103
    About 7 miles each way, some quiet country some busy A roads. Used to use cycle paths completley off road but got fed up with two or three punctures a week, kids and glass bottles don't mix, not funny and definitely not clever!
    I wear the trousers in our house!
    when I\'m allowed !!
  • St Ives to Cambridge 3 or 4 times a week 16.6 miles each way all flat. 1 or 2 times a week I'll drive to Swavesey with the bike on the roof and ride the remaining 9.4 miles to Cambridge. I do about 500 miles a month commuting but it's all flat and mostly rural roads.
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    16.9km and 180m uphill there. 17.6km back.

<font size="1">***Have you got rock salmon?
    No, but we've got soul***</font id="size1">

Hi, I live like 1 mile away from uni where its usually a 15 minute walk so I cycle both ways Monday-Friday. Same for town on saturdays as town is a 15 minute walk from my house.

Also I live in Crewe in Cheshire and there is a place called Nantwich which is 4 miles away. Done that distance on bike, can't remember how long it took me by bike although the only thing I can remember is going the long way! :D

Basically commute for pleasure, shopping and getting to uni!

Enjoy ur time here

Kind regards

Adrian
  • I say mine is about 2 miles each way. Basically depends on rush hour traffic as that is the time I usually make my way to uni and back home!
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by recordsprint</i>

St Ives to Cambridge 3 or 4 times a week 16.6 miles each way all flat. 1 or 2 times a week I'll drive to Swavesey with the bike on the roof and ride the remaining 9.4 miles to Cambridge. I do about 500 miles a month commuting but it's all flat and mostly rural roads.

I do St Ives to Bar Hill 4 times a week at 12.5 miles each way. It may be flat, but miles of flat = lot's of wind!!!!

Burning brake blocks - the smell of fear
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    I've now commuted 1081.5 miles this year.
    You may not be impressed but I am...........

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <b><font color="blue">If you are not part of the solution, there's good money to be made in prolonging the problem</font id="blue"></b>
    50yrs old and Proud of it - 6 inches off the waist
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007

And may you never lay your head down
    Without a hand to hold
    May you never make your bed out in the cold.
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by stevec205gti</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by recordsprint</i>

St Ives to Cambridge 3 or 4 times a week 16.6 miles each way all flat. 1 or 2 times a week I'll drive to Swavesey with the bike on the roof and ride the remaining 9.4 miles to Cambridge. I do about 500 miles a month commuting but it's all flat and mostly rural roads.

I do St Ives to Bar Hill 4 times a week at 12.5 miles each way. It may be flat, but miles of flat = lot's of wind!!!!

Indeed, most windy this morning too, do you do Earith - Willingham - Longstanton, or south of the A14?
  • I normally do fenstanton, fen drayton, swavesey, longstanton - it's mainly quiet roads then. I did the way you described this morning - very windy in places!!!!

• I do Fenstanton etc and continue to Oakington and Girton from Longstanton. At least when I don't wimp out (or get up too late) and drive to Swavesey. Give us a shout if you see me, Black '87 record sprint, full mudguards, red helmet, riding very slowly into the wind.
  • windyphil
    windyphil Posts: 106
    Now that the mornings are a bit lighter, I intend to ditch the train bit of my commute and go the full hog of 20 miles each way - I will be fit for the Sportive on 1st July (or knackered)!
    If only the legs were as good as the bike....
  • rgisme
    rgisme Posts: 1,598
    I guess what's interesting is not only how far people commute but from where to where? Mine is only a paltry 6.5 miles each way now, from the Angel Islington to West Ken via central London - used to be a more respectable 10.5 miles till I moved. The upside is it now only takes me around 25min to get there, so I can leave later and get home earlier [:)]
  • Corker
    Corker Posts: 34
    Mine's Huddersfield to Rochdale - 28.5 miles each way over Buckstones (beautiful in the daylight, surprisingly pleasant in the dark). Great once a week but more than that at this time of year is just too tiring. If the traffic's bad you get a great feeling as you pass over the jams on the M62. It's extremely exposed up there so you need to pick your day...
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by recordsprint</i>

I do Fenstanton etc and continue to Oakington and Girton from Longstanton. At least when I don't wimp out (or get up too late) and drive to Swavesey. Give us a shout if you see me, Black '87 record sprint, full mudguards, red helmet, riding very slowly into the wind.

Will do - I'm on a yellow and red Coppi framed bike. I'm normally very friendly and say hello to most cyclists i pass/get passed by

• sbullett
    sbullett Posts: 139
    Hey Corker, that's a good ride! I go the other way from Hudds to Leeds, A62 to near the White Rose centre. 15.5 miles, no nice views at all (but some good hills!). Started going via Dewsbury now and again to build up distance, adds about 3 miles but much flatter.

If you fancy a good ride from Hudds try going over to Meltham via Balckmoorfoot, then drop down to Holmfirth, up to Hade Edge, Winscar reservoir and back via Millhouse Green (nr Penistone), past the windfarm at Whitley Common and home via New Mill. ~30 miles, some fantastic scenery and a damn good workout!
  • david2
    david2 Posts: 5,200
    After 10 years of an 8-9 mile commute I've had to change jobs.

I'm now building up to this one:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=708161

Only 18 and a bit miles each way but there's a bloody great hill in the way! Otherwise it would be really lovely.

I hope to do it at least twice a week in the summer months.
This discussion has been closed.