Should Mark Cavendish swallow his pride and retire?

Comments

• amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,312

I'm sure he will get a podium spot in Nice. He has always been vocal about his love for Le Tour. Everything great in sport has been reflected in his career. The fantastic highs, the lows, the injuries, the doubts and doubters. But he has got through it all. Amazing. I've watched him all the way from those first wins. Some epic rides. Paris 1-2 with Renshaw or when Wiggins led him on to the Champs. The crosswind days when High Road demolished the peloton. Contador went out of the back or when he and 8 others got away and rode perfectly in the wind and kept the peloton at bay. San Remo alone is one he could dine out on. Always been with Oakley and Nike.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,392

40 has a nice round feel to it, he can just about do it this year if he puts his mind to it.

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,058

Retiring with a stage per year of his life is pretty good too, 39.

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804

Probably worth getting as much of a lead as possible the way that Pogacar is going.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157

He should do a parade lap (within cut-off) and sprint finish. 😉

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,174

Has Eddy done an interview yet?

• takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,815

The fact that this thread has existed for nearly 5 years shows (troll or not) how much adversity Cav has come through over the years

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,903

Merckx should be there to give him a medal or summit

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

It's not impossible is it .... Getting 2 wins in editions he didn't win!

• mididoctors

Pog could be around another 10 years ...

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,940

IF Pog can avoid any nasty accidents, illnesses, viruses etc etc, then it's very possible he could eclipse these 35 victories.

You'd have to say he could likely take 5 per year if he wanted to - but then back in the day we also thought Bernal was going to and things changed, and other riders came out who surpassed his previous levels of performance.

I gather that Bernal is currently putting out numbers superior to those when he was winning everything, which shows how the landscape has changed.

Arguably Jonas could get back to full fitness and do the same of course.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    edited July 4

Vingegaard has done three tours and won 3 stages. He'll have to up that to 3 stages a year and keep winning until he's 37 to beat Cavendish's number. Doesn't seem likely really.

Pog would have to continue at his average 3ish stages a year till he's 32 which sounds a lot more possible (if still unlikely).

Cav's number is insane.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Has the rest of the tour to put it out of reach.

• MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 2,031

I think jammiedodgeruk who started this thread should be there to give him his prize, the OP can then enjoy a large slice of humble pie 😄

• mididoctors
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,633
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross

How many top sprinters have come and gone between his first win and yesterdays? There have been some that had highly successful periods for a season or two then just faded from view and / or retired. At one point I seem to recall people thinking Kittel was going to take his record for sprint stages.

• wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,512

I wonder when it was the last time that all the other riders in the Tour totalled more (Tour) wins between them than Cav on his own.

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,633

This is the list that have been 2nd to Cav in Tour stages. It's got some names on for sure.

At least two got 2nd as his leadout as well....

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,512

There's also a stat that Cav has raced (and obviously beaten) Zabel father and son at the Tour, which is pretty impressive. (I think Lance raced against both Roches at the Tour too.)

• Pross

Others I can think of off the top of my head that were going to be the new big thing in sprinting not on that list include Gaviria (who I think Cav himself thought was going to be a major rival), Groenewegen and Ewan. Then there's the likes of Viviani, Degenkolb, Kristoff, Bennett...

• Pross

We should probably be thankful to Lefevre for once as well.

• MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 2,031
    edited July 4

You forget how many names have come and gone throughout Cavendish's career. I remember when Goss won MSR and silver behind Cav at the world's in 2011. I thought they were going to have a big rivalry for years but Goss seemed to fade away after that season.

I remember Petacchi having some amazing year in Grand Tour stages. Just checked, it was 2003 when he won 15 stages in total across the 3 GT's! I appreciate with hindsight there is probably a large * above much of that, but even so, that is pretty astonishing for one rider.

• Pross

A fair few changed teams to avoid being in his shadow on the same team or working for his lead out (Goss, Greipel, arguably EBH).