Should Mark Cavendish swallow his pride and retire?

Comments

• andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 406
    edited June 2023
    Although I've got a feeling lack of family commitments led to some of the breakout performances during the COVID seasons.

Not having kids around the house and just being able to train well must have been an advantage to those without
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    It's a big year for retirement this year and Cav will be one of the biggest gaps for the sport to fill.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Just fishing this out to note how incredible it is to think that it's still a live question even after Cavendish has announced his retirement and apparently finished his last tour.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    edited July 2023
    Hard decision - on the one hand what else does he do - yes he will have options but any he really wants to do? Once retired you can't come back - not at this age.

On the other hand he's got a big family, enough money and he's going to have to face what comes next in the near future anyway whether it's this year or in the next couple.

It may come down to how much that slipped gear will haunt him - I've heard sportsmen say that they think of that one "what if" moment every day in retirement.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    I think the slipped gear will be much further down his what if list. What about the worlds in Qatar, the Champs-Élysées two years ago, MSR when Kristoff won, the Madison with Wiggins, the Olympic pursuit he didn't ride, the omnium he only got a silver at, the crash in the tdf in Yorkshire etc.? Like every sports star he will eventually accept his fate and then spend years telling the stories.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Beating Merckx's record would have been history
    Equaling it is poetry
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Tour of Britain and call it a career
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Trying to think of other British sporting stars with a legitimate claim to be the best ever at what they did.

Cavendish
    Ronnie O'Sullivan

?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266
    David Bryant and Phil Taylor
  • tailwindhome

David Bryant and Phil Taylor

Never heard of David Bryant...his Wikipedia entry is impress though.

Phil Taylor a good shout. Should have had him
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Adam Peaty?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    edited July 2023

Adam Peaty?

Being the best breast stroke swimmer in the world is like being the fastest unicyclist though, surely? It's sort of impressive, but everyone secretly knows there are faster and more elegant ways from A to B.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    WG Grace, as long as we accept the thing he was very good at was self-publicity and not a little cheating?

Ben Ainslie as a match sailor might have a claim, from what I've been told.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416
    edited July 2023
    Double post
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194

Adam Peaty?

Being the best breast stroke swimmer in the world is like being the fastest unicyclist though, surely? It's sort of impressive, but everyone secretly knows there are faster and more elegant ways from A to B.
    There were many faster cyclists than Cavendish at getting from A to B in a grand tour, too. So the Peaty comparison seems apt to me
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,866
    I kinda hope he sticks to his decision .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    r0bh said:

Adam Peaty?

There were many faster cyclists than Cavendish at getting from A to B in a grand tour, too. So the Peaty comparison seems apt to me
    Not when it counts over the last 200m in a sprint stage whatever stroke they pedal with.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    Isn't the guy in a recumbent going to win whatever?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

I think the slipped gear will be much further down his what if list. What about the worlds in Qatar, the Champs-Élysées two years ago, MSR when Kristoff won, the Madison with Wiggins, the Olympic pursuit he didn't ride, the omnium he only got a silver at, the crash in the tdf in Yorkshire etc.? Like every sports star he will eventually accept his fate and then spend years telling the stories.

In a way maybe some of those may be more costly moments but that near miss is the one that in 10 years may make him think he could have got the record, that his form was still good enough. Yes there will be lots of stages where he messed up positionally or started his sprint too early or too late - but they weren't the last chance.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    He was sounding very upbeat in his post on Instagram. Said the shoulder will take slightly longer than the usual two weeks due to previous plates but he’ll be back soon.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Possibly not in a sprint, and while recumbents are fast on the flat they are not as good uphill.
  • mididoctors

Possibly not in a sprint, and while recumbents are fast on the flat they are not as good uphill.
    Guy at our club has a carbon fibre one ...pretty light ..he rockets uphill
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • tailwindhome

• The thread that keeps giving has been confirmed for another year...

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    edited October 2023
    "Should Mark Cavendish swallow his Champagne and continue for one more season?"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    I think it's going to be very difficult.... should morkov swallow his pride and retire is the question to my mind . If morkov has it I'll be happily surprised

It's not impossible I guess .
  • mididoctors
    It's October what's the tour route looking like ?