2024 Transfer Rumours (and confirmed signings)

Comments

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,779

I thought that, but I guess seeing Adam flourish in a new team must have swayed him.

2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,940
    edited June 18

That is a surprise, but I guess his trajectory is no longer upwards (he's 32 in August), but he's still a very high quality bike rider, with perhaps 4 years left near the top.

I suspect his bro is raking in a decent wage at UAE, plus gets opportunity at 1 week stage races and perhaps a GT now and then, and he's likely to have a similar scenario at vlab, can't blame him at all.

Wonder how long a contract it is.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,951

I wonder how much domestiques make as their share of any GT wins, especially in the Tour?

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,633

Yeah, I'm not sure it's going to get any better than a shot at a couple of one-week races with good tech & support in return for domestique duties the rest of the time including GTs + maybe backup GC rider on Vuelta/Giro. In fact it's possible Yates will even get a leader shot at a GT with them

The whole GC Superteam is mainly Vingegaard since Roglic left. Kuss is a great mountain dom that got lucky in the Vuelta and was allowed to ride it out (10 bonus points for anyone that can name his other GC win), Jorgenson doesn't believe he's a three-week rider (too big), Uijtdebroeks may well be the future but he's 21 and yet to get a podium at WT level, similar story for Johannes Staune-Mittet, Thomas Gloag and Ben Tullet.

His Vuelta was six years ago, T-A was four and they're his only WT GC wins. He's got plenty of top fives and a podium or two, but you can end up there as a domestique-de-luxe if you're lucky. I'd say this was a step forward for him.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,581

If he goes to Super Jumbo he'll be wiping the floor with everyone next season

"Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Here's a decent reason why he might want to move: the Jayco AlUla squad for the Tour. I reckon with support like that he'd do better as a Visma domestique

• Simon Yates
    • Luke Durbridge
    • Dylan Groenewegen
    • Chris Harper
    • Christopher Juul-Jensen
    • Michael Matthews
    • Luka Mezgec
    • Elmar Reinders
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,391

That’s a line up with no strategy if ever I’ve seen one.

• No_Ta_Doctor

Sprints and stage hunting I think, Though I guess Yates will probably be trying to keep himself in the GC

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,519

Anna van der Breggen to return to racing, for SD-Worx, next season. Confirmed in a press conference this evening.

• No_Ta_Doctor

Biggest transfer news is Anna van der Breggen from SD Worx team car to SD Worx bike

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293

Not sure which surprises me more: That she actually retired quite young, or that she's making a comeback 🤔

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227

Didn't realise that she is now just 34.

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,472

Guess that is the GC replacement for Vollering then?!

PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 942

I thought the reason Vollering was going was because they didn’t have the budget to keep her. So how can they afford AB.

• daniel_b
    edited June 21

She never left SD Worx though, so they have been paying her all this time, just for the different role of Sports Director - this is effectively another internal transfer 🤣

I guess if she evidently wants it badly enough, then maybe her pay will be more geared towards bonuses for winning, rather than a higher base salary.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • No_Ta_Doctor

I suspect that this may have already been in the pipeline when they dumped Vollering

• No_Ta_Doctor

Lol That's what comes of searching out the confirmation tweet to embed

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,472

Don't think they actually wanted to dump the best GC rider and joint with Kopecky best rider in the world. A more likely scenario to me would be Vollering wanting to be paid as the best rider in the world, maybe even paid akin to one of the best male riders in the world, trying to break out of the niche of woman's cycling, like what she is doing with her Nike sponsorship; SD Worx trying to balance her financial ambitions with wanting to keep Kopecky and coming up a few (million) bucks short.

Not sure how one team can actually afford so much talent with those two plus Wiebes and Bredewold and Reusser etc. without having 10x the budget of other teams.

PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • andyp

Ruesser is rumoured to be Movistar bound for next season. I think SD Worx's success has meant they can't afford their current roster so they are having to let riders they would like to keep go.

Still, a team with Kopecky, Wiebes and van der Breggen is going to win a lot of races.

• andyp

Not a transfer, but Jasper Philipsen has extended his contract with Alpecin-Decuenick until the end of 2028, putting an end to speculation about where he'll be racing next year.

• andyp

Again, not a transfer, but Grace Brown is going to retire at the end of the season.

• amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,310

But finished 4th last year in the TdF. Highest position there? he must look at the current 2 favourites and think if i cant beat them i'll have to join them. 2 or 3 yrs at Visma perhaps? Adam has done well at UAE and Visma seem to produce some great results from good riders, LaPorte being an obvious one

• daniel_b

Arensman has signed again with Ineos until the end of 2027.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • andyp

Kasia Niewiadoma has extended her contract with Canyon-SRAM to the end of 2026, putting to bed speculation that she was SD-Worx bound.

• daniel_b
    edited June 29

Dane Peter Oxenberg signs for Ineos from 2025 for 3 years.

Also took a kom off Vingegard 3 months back in Spain.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b

I'm not familiar with him, you know a bit about his progress and past results?

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,391

Only 18 so doesn’t appear to have anything notable on PCS. Currently rides for JV’s old team. Our resident Dane may know more.