US Politics / Biden thread

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,643
    https://www.interfluidity.com/v2/8392.html

About America, but equally applicable here really.

The weakness / failure of liberalism, and how it has became a signifier of class.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760

The weakness / failure of liberalism, and how it has became a signifier of class.

It feels like Biden is doing what is suggested there.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Liberalism means something different in the US from here in the UK.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    elbowloh said:

Liberalism means something different in the US from here in the UK.
    No waaay
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,914
    Clearing the daft draft.
  • focuszing723

Oh umm, I was going to say something. Nope, nope It's gone.

• focuszing723
    edited June 28

Oh yeah, I wouldn't mind being a leader of a clown tree.

• rick_chasey

Please America, sort it the fuck out

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    edited June 28

America better have capable people pulling the strings of these muppets or it is f*cked.

Pray for America. 😉

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,693

Think this was the day trump won. It's going to be a bad decade.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,522

Twitter certainly not spinning it for Biden. Sounds like he had a mare.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153

How can these be the best two options in the ‘most powerful country on the planet’? They’re managing to make our lot look professional

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,090

Same point was made in response to that awful 'are you the best we've got' question to Starmer and Sunak. We should count our blessings. The barrel is much deeper than it looks.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128

end result of a system that entrenches a two-party state and places too much power in the hands of one person,

combine that with an electorate where an increasing number are detached from reality and many results are effectively bought by whoever has the most funding, ousting a candidate, especially a sitting one, is almost impossible due to the risk of handing victory to the other side

imo any system where you can win while getting a minority of the popular vote is profoundly undemocratic and over time becomes toxic, a problem the uk and others share

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,028

It was like an old short sighted cricketer trying to play with a straight bat against a team who had replaced their bowler with a muck spreader.

Depressing.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,526

Bill Clinton was first elected over 30 years ago. He is younger than both Biden and Trump.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031

It'll be interesting to see if this debate affects the polls and if it does whether there are renewed efforts within the Democrats to get Biden to stand aside.

I don't know whether there are formal mechanisms by which he could be replaced - I suspect not.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • First.Aspect

There are formal mechanisms. The Democratic Congress hasn't even taken place yet. The problem is there is no alternative so replacing him would be to concede the election.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,526

Gavin Newsom is the shortest odds on Betfair, so I guess he is the most likely alternative.

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128

there's a lot of concern in the democrat camp, but hard to see who can tell him, imo his wife needs to do it

he's not formally the nominee yet, but there's no good way to switch unless he steps back himself, fast

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,522

He's slick, but all teeth and stats. Buttigeig would be more human and is very able, but I suspect that his homosexuality would be a problem electorally (sadly). I've been surprised that Kamala Harris hasn't come into her own as VP, but again, I'm not sure that America is ready for a black woman, whatever her abilities.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031

The american politics podcast i listen to mentioned 2-3 realistic alternatives including Newsom - there's always someone. Obviously the primaries are over though it's unclear (to me) what the mechanism would be for a candidate to be chosen

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153

It's incredible how backwards large parts of the US are when it comes to diversity. Supposedly a big democracy but they haven't even managed to get a woman into the top job yet.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,603

What a car crash. Democrats now in the unenviable position of sticking with a candidate who isn't up to the job, or replacing him with someone who probably hasn't got the popularity or the funds to win (whoever that may be). Does appear that they could oust Biden, but if he doesn't want to go it needs more than half of the delegates who backed him in the primaries to turn against him.

And if Biden is struggling now, imagine what he'd be like in 4 years time - something that the voters and the party must be thinking about.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey

Better late than never. Get rid of him. Not an immaterial chance he dies on the campaign anyway.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,603

I'm inclined to agree but either way it looks like Trump is the favourite to win, unfortunately.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537

Let's be honest here, with Trump's cognitive abilities, there's still plenty of chance for him to fuck up like Biden has just done.

And people complain about the choice between Starmer and Sunak!

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760

It's depressing how much Trump's criminality, corruption and lying is just par for the course.

Equally depressing to see Biden that weak, but still the better option if he gets there, by an infinite amount. Seems unlikely he'll be on the ballot now.

• First.Aspect

I don't know if it is possible to emphasise how bad a second Trump term would be. He will empower Russia, inflame China, put Taiwan at further jepoardy. The implications for the middle east are unclear, but I can't see his diplomatic style leading to a stable two state solution, lowering oil prices or nullifying the threats posed by Syria, Yemen and Iran. I fear his total ambivalence to Africa and thus to world trade routes up through Suez.

I don't give too much of a crap what he does domestically, except infsofar as the damage lasts beyond his second (or third) term, but a potential world war three or a new and worse cold war, that I do care about.

Folks, if you think the cost of living is bad now, fast forward a few years where the US says fuck you all, and we can't be sure to get goods from anywhere else because trade routes might, or might not be available that year, Russia might or might not have nibbled off another Baltic state, it might or might not be possible to fly over the gulf, we might or might not be trading with China or have sanctions, tarrifs etc and so on.

• rick_chasey

We were saved by his incompetence. Republicans won't let that happen again.