US Politics / Biden thread

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,600
    sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

its amazing how much reaction a simple post about a phone call and the good relationship between 2 countries can elicit.

Now that the Trump thread is fading away, this more evidence for my 'first law of Cake Stop thermodynamics' theory (whinging and negativity are never destroyed, they are simply transferred to other threads) ;)

as is trolling
    I see you're not disagreeing with my theory.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

The special relationship is to do with a colonial and therefore common cultural hustory, and more recently helping us not lose ww2. It has dwindled a bit since then but even in the noughties the UK would eagerly join in military action with the US. It is a special diplomatic relationship, basically.

Economically I've never seen it as special, in my life time.

The special relationship died around the time the WWII debt was paid off.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128

elbowloh said:

Maybe Boris was first call because he needed to be told off first.

Something like, you sucked up to Trump, you fecked up with the whole Brexit shambles and if you censored up Good Friday , well, there'll be hell to pay.

That's not the face of a man being told off!
    biden: i called mexico before you, and canada
    boris: ha ha ha, good one!
    biden: no, really, i did
    boris: ha ha ha, i'm on camera, please, throw me a bone here
    biden: just getting you little trump sucker out of the way before i talk to the grown ups
    boris: oh, but, but, lawks
    biden: looking forward to a united ireland, bye
    boris: joe! joe? (cripes, keep smiling)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,909
    pblakeney said:

The special relationship is to do with a colonial and therefore common cultural hustory, and more recently helping us not lose ww2. It has dwindled a bit since then but even in the noughties the UK would eagerly join in military action with the US. It is a special diplomatic relationship, basically.

No, I think it was still well in operation when Blair backed Bush with Iraq.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

...and it will continue to be a one way thing until we realise otherwise.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,088
    edited January 2021
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Try playing the ball not the man.

Tells me what I need to know, bitter boy

🤔
    If someone has a go unprovoked, they get it back with a bit of topspin on, simple. You should know that by now; same goes for 'bitter boy'.
    Well that showed him!
    🤣
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,521
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

It undoubtedly has been a 'thing', for differing reasons, and not necessarily asymmetric: Reagan took inspiration from Thatcher - he didn't have her fierce intelligence, and I think looked to her and her government as having broken new (right wing) ground in a major western democracy. And once the UK was in the EEC/EU, the UK was a very useful bridge between the US and the EEC/EU, sharing values of and having a foothold in both, politically and culturally.

Since then, not so much. I think Blair was a poodle to GWB in the Iraq war, trying to be a big boy (sorry to mix my metaphors) at a time when the UK's political might was decreasing. And now the UK has chopped itself out of the EU, it's much less useful as a bridge to Europe.

That's not to say that the US won't refer to the 'special relationship', but if they do, it won't be for old times' sake, but for what it's worth to them. What do they get out of it now? What has the UK got to give, other than someone who can quote cod Latin on the end of a phone?
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Try playing the ball not the man.

Tells me what I need to know, bitter boy

🤔
    If someone has a go unprovoked, they get it back with a bit of topspin on, simple. You should know that by now; same goes for 'bitter boy'.
    Well that showed him!
    🤣
    Thanks for your useful contribution, but that wasn't my intention ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

It undoubtedly has been a 'thing', for differing reasons, and not necessarily asymmetric: Reagan took inspiration from Thatcher - he didn't have her fierce intelligence, and I think looked to her and her government as having broken new (right wing) ground in a major western democracy. And once the UK was in the EEC/EU, the UK was a very useful bridge between the US and the EEC/EU, sharing values of and having a foothold in both, politically and culturally.

Since then, not so much. I think Blair was a poodle to GWB in the Iraq war, trying to be a big boy (sorry to mix my metaphors) at a time when the UK's political might was decreasing. And now the UK has chopped itself out of the EU, it's much less useful as a bridge to Europe.

That's not to say that the US won't refer to the 'special relationship', but if they do, it won't be for old times' sake, but for what it's worth to them. What do they get out of it now? What has the UK got to give, other than someone who can quote cod Latin on the end of a phone?
    The sale of nuclear arms etc?
    A staging post for rendition?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,688
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Golfing holidays. Downton Abbey?
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Launch site for bombing missions so they can say it’s not just them.
    Sending troops to whichever war zone they want us to so they can say it is not just them.

We are the weedy kid who stands behind the school bully.

And hats off to all the PMs who did not commit troops to Vietnam as that is about the only American war we have not scurried off to join to show our loyalty
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,909
    Jeez, are you all script writers for Eastenders in real life?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,521

Jeez, are you all script writers for Eastenders in real life?

I guess I shouldn't mention the chlorinated chicked and hormone-fed beef then?
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

He probably called Johnson first because he knew it's the kind of thing Johnson would be concerned about.

So nothing to do with the US-UK relationship?

As with the Trump thread, it appears that some people are getting confused between nations and their leaders...
    America has relationships with a lot of countries.
    And...?
    Exactly.
    Exactly what?
    I entirely agree.
    You don't think there is anything behind the long standing references to the 'special relationship' then?
    Comes and goes, doesn't it?
    I don't know. How do you think it compares to any special relationship that the US has with (say) France or Germany?
    Less important to them now than it was 8 years ago. We don't have any sway in the EU any more.

More important to us.

We're important to them, but only in so far as we have something they want.
    I was asking how you thought the US-UK relationship compares with say the US-France, or the US-Germany relationship. You appear to have answered a different question...
    No I didn't. You should read more carefully. Our relationship with the US is less important to the US relative to their relationship to Germany or France than it was 8 years ago. All of them are important, as leading western nations - ours is probably much more important in defence, much less important in trade.

HTH.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Is there a similar summary regarding the call with Bojo?

If not, that says even more than any wording in this particular one.
  • To be fair, they did help them out in the 1770s when we were still trying to own them.
  • morstar said:

Yes. https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2021/01/23/readout-of-president-joe-biden-call-with-prime-minister-boris-johnson-of-the-united-kingdom/

"President Joseph R. Biden spoke today with Prime Minister Boris Johnson of the United Kingdom. The President conveyed his intention to strengthen the special relationship between our countries and revitalize transatlantic ties, underscoring the critical role of NATO to our collective defense and shared values. President Biden also noted the importance of cooperation, including through multilateral organizations, on shared challenges such as combatting climate change, containing COVID-19, and ensuring global health security. He noted his readiness to work closely with Prime Minister Johnson as the United Kingdom hosts the G-7 and United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP26) this year. The leaders also discussed the need for coordination on shared foreign policy priorities, including China, Iran, and Russia."

Nothing about a trade agreement in his summary.
  • pblakeney
    edited January 2021

morstar said:

Yes.
    So. Defence, the NHS and some climate.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666
    edited January 2021

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

He probably called Johnson first because he knew it's the kind of thing Johnson would be concerned about.

As with the Trump thread, it appears that some people are getting confused between nations and their leaders...
    And...?
    Exactly.
    Exactly what?
    I entirely agree.
    You don't think there is anything behind the long standing references to the 'special relationship' then?
    I don't know. How do you think it compares to any special relationship that the US has with (say) France or Germany?
    Less important to them now than it was 8 years ago. We don't have any sway in the EU any more.

More important to us.

I was asking how you thought the US-UK relationship compares with say the US-France, or the US-Germany relationship. You appear to have answered a different question...
    No I didn't. You should read more carefully. Our relationship with the US is less important to the US relative to their relationship to Germany or France than it was 8 years ago. All of them are important, as leading western nations - ours is probably much more important in defence, much less important in trade.

HTH.
    I asked you how it compares i.e. now, not its evolution over time. I think you need to read the question more carefully.

Your second attempt did address the point a bit better, although wrongly as we are ahead of both Germany and France in terms of US exports to those countries and ahead of France re US imports from those countries:
    https://census.gov/foreign-trade/statistics/highlights/toppartners.html
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

And...?
    Exactly.
    Exactly what?
    I entirely agree.

More important to us.

HTH.
    I asked you how it compares i.e. now, not its evolution over time. I think you need to read the question more carefully.

Your second attempt did address the point a bit better, although wrongly as we are ahead of both Germany and France in terms of US exports to those countries and ahead of France re US imports from those countries:
    https://census.gov/foreign-trade/statistics/highlights/toppartners.html
    You miss out the fact that they are now leading lights in the EU and we are not. We are less important to the USA re: trade than the EU. I don't think that's at all controversial.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,088
    edited January 2021
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • So nothing regarding trade agreements with either the UK nor France.

Good news re. climate change action, foreign policy, pandemic co-operation, reversing actions taken by the orange fool.

But, not something you could post to indicate any significant positive trade agreement news. It’s the usual totally expected political protocol from an actual professional.

Nothing noteworthy, even for rabid Telegraphists!
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-22/biden-s-million-dose-a-day-goal-sets-a-bar-that-s-nearly-met

Is this to be read as Biden being so unambitious in his target. Or is it to be seen as Biden saying the Trumpster was doing such a good job that he would basically like to match it? ;)
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

We're one of the more important, because we've a quite big economy and nuclear weapons.

no you haven't, its going to get far smaller and so does everyone else and even then, yours are rubbish.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle said:

We're one of the more important, because we've a quite big economy and nuclear weapons.

no you haven't, its going to get far smaller and so does everyone else and even then, yours are rubbish.
    We'll be in the top 10 countries on both counts for a little while yet.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited January 2021
    nah, its gonna happen a lot quicker than you expect and doesn't matter if they are rubbish - they're just more of a liabilty.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    edited January 2021
    Biden seems a bit quiet on the EUs breach of the GFA when they tried to invoke article 16. I guess the argument only works one way. Maybe I am being harsh and he called up the EU to ask what they were doing but kept quiet.
  • john80 said:

Biden seems a bit quiet on the EUs breach of the GFA when they tried to invoke article 16. I guess the argument only works one way. Maybe I am being harsh and he called up the EU to ask what they were doing but kept quiet.

I think it's not likely he would have kept quiet if it had gone beyond a one day wonder of a fuck up. See below:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/30/ireland-considering-playing-biden-card-force-commission-back/
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    It's not up to Biden or the US to solve everyone else's problems.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk