US Politics / Biden thread

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,913
    edited January 2021
    elbowloh said:

Maybe Boris was first call because he needed to be told off first.

Something like, you sucked up to Trump, you fecked up with the whole Brexit shambles and if you censored up Good Friday , well, there'll be hell to pay.

That's not the face of a man being told off!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

elbowloh said:

Maybe Boris was first call because he needed to be told off first.

Something like, you sucked up to Trump, you fecked up with the whole Brexit shambles and if you censored up Good Friday , well, there'll be hell to pay.

That's not the face of a man being told off!
    How do we know thats a photo of Boris during the call.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    elbowloh said:

Do we care?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • focuszing723
    Because he's got his sleeves rolled up and standing. He looks like he's speaking to a 'special' friend!
  • focuszing723

elbowloh said:

Do we care?
    Post count never lies!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,603

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:
    Yeah, I would say that's a positive thing and I don't understand why people are using Google to hunt for the negative.

Jeez, a flurry of posts, I thought something interesting had happened!
    Agree, it is a positive thing. Some people just cannot handle positive things it would appear.
    Hopefully positive. However, when you have a round of calls and have to deliver bad (or at least not great) news you might get those calls over first. Who knows?

Some people are hunting for the positive, others for negative. It’s not exactly worthy of speculation without any details - are there any? It doesn’t exactly seem to be a major story. I have my fingers crossed that Biden wasn’t just trying to offload a bust of Churchill.

Any conversation not involving the orange buffoon must be mainly positive I’d have thought!
    TBH is was more an encouraging sign than anything else and we'll have to see what actually happens. But in any event, the UK and US have historically been pretty close allies (which is what I think caused some of the reactions above from those who don't like that), so it's no real surprise that this sort of relationship would continue as normal after the chaos of the Trump presidency.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

ddraver said:

To be clear you're at the 'denying pictures of the thing' stage of delusion now...

No, no, "He called me first!" changes everything.

Or maybe Biden knows how to deal with narcissists.

Whatever the reason, obviously it's of great importance to Stevo, given his reaction to a photo of straws, and the inevitable "Answer my questions!" response.
    Well dodged both of you ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

He probably called Johnson first because he knew it's the kind of thing Johnson would be concerned about.

So nothing to do with the US-UK relationship?

As with the Trump thread, it appears that some people are getting confused between nations and their leaders...
    America has relationships with a lot of countries.
    And...?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Try playing the ball not the man.

Tells me what I need to know, bitter boy

🤔
    If someone has a go unprovoked, they get it back with a bit of topspin on, simple. You should know that by now; same goes for 'bitter boy'.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

He probably called Johnson first because he knew it's the kind of thing Johnson would be concerned about.

As with the Trump thread, it appears that some people are getting confused between nations and their leaders...
    And...?
    Exactly.
  • I wrote a long time ago in a galaxy far far away: "I guess any replacement for Trump won't be as petty as him to hold it against people/governments for debasing themselves to appeal to his ego."

This is just normality being restored.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

And...?
    Exactly.
    Exactly what?
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

And...?
    Exactly.
    Exactly what?
    I entirely agree.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

And...?
    Exactly.
    Exactly what?
    I entirely agree.
    You don't think there is anything behind the long standing references to the 'special relationship' then?
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

And...?
    Exactly.
    Exactly what?
    I entirely agree.
    You don't think there is anything behind the long standing references to the 'special relationship' then?
    Comes and goes, doesn't it?
  • It's not all over the New York Times that Biden got a call with Johnson.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    China taking the opportunity to flex their muscles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-55788359
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,643
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

And...?
    Exactly.
    Exactly what?
    I entirely agree.
    I have never heard an American news outlet refer to it as that after Reagan
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

And...?
    Exactly.
    Exactly what?
    I entirely agree.
    I have never heard an American news outlet refer to it as that after Reagan
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-u-k-relationship-is-a-little-less-special-after-brexit-11608985063
  • rick_chasey
    Fair enough.

Honestly, I once mentioned it in a work meeting over in NYC and no one knew what it was.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

And...?
    Exactly.
    Exactly what?
    I entirely agree.
    I don't know. How do you think it compares to any special relationship that the US has with (say) France or Germany?
  • Does nobody else feel this desparation for a special relationship is a national embarrassment?

And this is a criticism of every PM that I can remember.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

And...?
    Exactly.
    Exactly what?
    I entirely agree.
    I don't know. How do you think it compares to any special relationship that the US has with (say) France or Germany?
    Less important to them now than it was 8 years ago. We don't have any sway in the EU any more.

More important to us.

We're important to them, but only in so far as we have something they want.
  • rick_chasey
    I mean the irony of the whole charade is the special relationship is there was one was predicated on being the free market liberalising voice within the EU bloc....
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

And...?
    Exactly.
    Exactly what?
    I entirely agree.
    Less important to them now than it was 8 years ago. We don't have any sway in the EU any more.

More important to us.

We're important to them, but only in so far as we have something they want.
    I was asking how you thought the US-UK relationship compares with say the US-France, or the US-Germany relationship. You appear to have answered a different question...
  • Stevo_666

Does nobody else feel this desparation for a special relationship is a national embarrassment?

And this is a criticism of every PM that I can remember.

What desperation? It already exists.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,693
    edited January 2021
    The special relationship is to do with a colonial and therefore common cultural hustory, and more recently helping us not lose ww2. It has dwindled a bit since then but even in the noughties the UK would eagerly join in military action with the US. It is a special diplomatic relationship, basically.

Economically I've never seen it as special, in my life time.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Try playing the ball not the man.

Tells me what I need to know, bitter boy

🤔
    If someone has a go unprovoked, they get it back with a bit of topspin on, simple. You should know that by now; same goes for 'bitter boy'.
    Lol! Sorry if you saw it as 'having a go' Stevo, thought you could take a joke a bit better than that.

Good to see the rules you're keen for us to play by are more guidelines though. Or maybe you just broke them in a specific and limited way.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    FWIW I'm not sure what you think I'm bitter about. No issues with us having a great relationship with Biden if that turns out to be the case.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    Stevo_666 said:

its amazing how much reaction a simple post about a phone call and the good relationship between 2 countries can elicit.

Now that the Trump thread is fading away, this more evidence for my 'first law of Cake Stop thermodynamics' theory (whinging and negativity are never destroyed, they are simply transferred to other threads) ;)

as is trolling
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny