US Politics / Biden thread

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,902

john80 said:

Biden seems a bit quiet on the EUs breach of the GFA when they tried to invoke article 16. I guess the argument only works one way. Maybe I am being harsh and he called up the EU to ask what they were doing but kept quiet.

I think it's not likely he would have kept quiet if it had gone beyond a one day wonder of a censored up. See below:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/30/ireland-considering-playing-biden-card-force-commission-back/

We should be grateful it wasn't Trump on the toilet tweeting out policy from his ar5e.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    elbowloh said:

It's not up to Biden or the US to solve everyone else's problems.

That's not normally enough for the US to butt out though is it.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

elbowloh said:

That's not normally enough for the US to butt out though is it.
    They don't get involved in everything. Plus, we have no oil.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    elbowloh said:

That's funny he had plenty to say about the UKs future.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,538
    john80 said:

elbowloh said:

It was all done and dusted before he had a chance to formulate a response. Not much point getting involved when the storm in a tea cup had already blown out.
  • elbowloh
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,538
    elbowloh said:
    Just as they get hit by an extreme climate event (Texas in particular). Cruz doing himself political damage too.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Pross said:

john80 said:

elbowloh said:

It was all done and dusted before he had a chance to formulate a response. Not much point getting involved when the storm in a tea cup had already blown out.
    Outside of the British rightwing tabloid press...no one cared.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • elbowloh
    I shouldn't be surprised, but things like this aren't front page news in the US:

METAIRIE, La. — A gunman opened fire at a combination gun store and indoor firing range near New Orleans on Saturday, killing two people before others returned fire, killing him, the authorities said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/20/us/metairie-shooting-jefferson-gun-outlet.html
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Big Government Is Back

The coronavirus crisis has led to the unexpected return of the visible hand of government after decades of small government consensus throughout the West. The pandemic has demonstrated how the erosion of public services has made capitalist societies vulnerable to disruption, less internationally competitive, and ultimately less resilient.

From massive monetary and fiscal stimulus to benefits for unemployed workers, the public sector has significantly increased its weight through deficit spending in the past year. This emergent neo-statism runs counter to the free market doctrine that held sway in the West for 40 years.

Now this persuasion about the need for a strong state is also making inroads in the United States, where suspicion of big government has remained high since the 2008 financial crisis. Biden’s campaign slogan “build back better” is reminiscent in rhetoric to Roosevelt’s New Deal. Furthermore, a number of newly launched initiatives, including his America Rescue Plan, providing direct payments to U.S. citizens, his promotion of a $15 minimum wage, and of “Buy American” public procurement rules, all prefigure a return of state intervention. Until a few years ago any talk of state interventionism would have been seen as heretical; it is now increasingly accepted as a matter of necessity and security.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/02/13/big-government-is-back/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t8XXh6K7PE
  • john80
    elbowloh said:

I shouldn't be surprised, but things like this aren't front page news in the US:

METAIRIE, La. — A gunman opened fire at a combination gun store and indoor firing range near New Orleans on Saturday, killing two people before others returned fire, killing him, the authorities said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/20/us/metairie-shooting-jefferson-gun-outlet.html

At least they were not shooting fish in a barrel at the local high school. Took on a target with a bit of jeopardy.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    john80 said:

elbowloh said:

At least they were not shooting fish in a barrel at the local high school. Took on a target with a bit of jeopardy.
    took on a target that he knew would take him out. basically committed suicide.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • john80
    MattFalle said:

john80 said:

elbowloh said:

It would have been better if they did it in there living room mind instead of killing two bystanders.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,770
    Odd question. It is known that insurance will not pay out on suicide but will it pay out if killed while on a killing spree?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Not sure any insurance company would pay out if you are killed or injured during a criminal activity.
  • ballysmate
    MattFalle said:

john80 said:

elbowloh said:

The more usual way is death by cop
  • pblakeney

Not sure any insurance company would pay out if you are killed or injured during a criminal activity.

What I was thinking, but there may be a loophole.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ballysmate
    pblakeney said:

Try getting you car repaired under insurance if you crash when pissed up.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Try getting you car repaired under insurance if you crash when pissed up.
    Yeah, but 'merica, guns n lawyers.
    Stupid question but you never know.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    Haha. Ron Johnson tried slowing up the passage of Biden's CV19 recovery package by having all 600+pages of it read aloud. Because no other Republicans could be bothered to stay up all night to be in the chamber to stop Democrats moving to stop the reading, as soon as the reading was finished and Johnson left the chamber, a Democrat immediately moved to curtail the ensuing debate down to 3 hours instead of the scheduled 20.

• briantrumpet
    Re reading bills out loud... this is funny, and impressive...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwOZNS3WhyY
  • elbowloh
    The Stackhouse filibuster was epic...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Out of the depths of my mind comes a recollection of a Record Breakers segment of a guy speed reading the whole of hamlet* in a minute or so...

(Being older and cynical these days I suspect it might have been THAT soliloquy)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Anyone else watch Trump get sworn in today?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    ddraver said:

Out of the depths of my mind comes a recollection of a Record Breakers segment of a guy speed reading the whole of hamlet* in a minute or so...

(Being older and cynical these days I suspect it might have been THAT soliloquy)

its the best way to read Shakespear
  • elbowloh
    MattFalle said:

Nope, for what?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,686
    elbowloh said:

MattFalle said:

Nope, for what?
    To be the real, not FAKE president. He's promising to drain the Mar a Lago swamp.
  • briantrumpet
    orraloon said:

elbowloh said:

MattFalle said:

Nope, for what?
    To be the real, not FAKE president. He's promising to drain the Mar a Lago swamp.

For anyone not keeping abreast of the crazies... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-56260345
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,686
    Tossers need to keep tossing. Else wot they gunna do?