Euro 2024 thread

Comments

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,501

First goal was brilliant - the last one was due to pretty awful defending

Wilier Izoard XP
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683

Do Belgium actually have a worse talent to success ratio than England?

• First.Aspect

I do think all referees should be trained by qualified physicians in what are achievable human reaction times.

• First.Aspect

I think the first was fair, the second was fair only in that Star Trek episode when Kirk and Spock were super sped up. Or in a universe where "natural" is a bunch of flightless birds.running around after a football.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

Ref's decided that France are winning this one. The obvious corner not given in the first half was an indication but any 50-50 goes to Les Bleus.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    edited June 17

Mbape quite happy to dive when he wants.

Funny he doesn’t react when he actually gets hit in the face

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023

Austrian players have the slowest sprints I've seen at this level, you can see they are really trying but it's like they are running on sand.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387

That was an enjoyable game, played by two teams both looking to put some pace in the game. Such a contrast to the slow dirge dished up the night before. Really noticable how when France play the ball back towards their own goal, they shift it quickly to the other side of the pitch and then go forward again quickly.

• rick_chasey

Didn't think France were all that beyond the first 15 minutes.

Mbape hasn't been in great form and that was a worry going in - missing that absolute sitter and then breaking his nose won't make the French feel good.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756

I think the handball rules are stupid and pretty much incomprehensible, and they really wanted to make sure they used snicko when it wasn't needed, but... he knocked it on with his hand, and the ref obviously decided that if he had seen it he'd have given handball. Tbh at full speed I thought it was a handball by the defender.

• First.Aspect

They didn't even use snicko correctly, because the signal was well before it supposedly hit his hand.

• kingstongraham

Looks pretty close to me. The way of displaying it is terrible though.

• MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,951

Unfortunately for Belgium there real chance to win a major tournament was 2018. Really, aside from De Bruyne, they have no world class players left.

To be fair, France often veer between looking unplayable and being a bit average. Like all great teams though, they find a way wo win even when they are not at their best.

I have to admit, and I know I am in a tiny minority, but I find Mbappe a tiny bit overrated. Not questioning his footballing ability, but aside from the last WC final where he was brilliant, he can go missing in big games (particularly at club level). Will be interesting to see how he fits in at RM, especially as Bellingham is pretty much the star man there now.

• First.Aspect

You are doing the exact same thing the VAR does. If you watch the moving images the ball is clearly not touching his hand there, but does get closer at the time the snicko signal has moved past. At the very least you'd need to question why there was only one signal.

• kingstongraham

I took a screenshot from the moving images. That is pretty much where it first touches his hand.

It's not snicko like in cricket anyway, it's not based on a microphone pointing in the right direction and it couldn't be picking up anything else. There's zero dispute about whether there was contact with the hand. Maybe if there was a more contentious decision (on whether there was contact), it would matter that you aren't convinced by the technology.

• First.Aspect

Is it just an accelerometer in the ball?

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536

Can we all just agree that it's impressive how much football has managed to balls up the introduction of VAR when most other top sports have had similar systems of video review working well for years.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026

I thought it was handball - hand moved towards ball in a deliberate action.

It's proved impossible to define a handball law which encompasses the elements of distance the ball has travelled and at what speed, hand position, hand movement, impact on the game, intention, carelessness etc etc that go into us thinking they should or shouldn't be given. We could try telling refs look we all know a handball when we see one so go out and ref it as you see fit and just rely on norms built up by experience

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

Cricket had plenty of problem initially. Football has been too arrogant to learn from the mistakes of other sports.

I said before it was introduced that it is only worth doing if VAR refs all come to the same conclusion based on their reviews of previous incidents.

Also, they need to change the offside rule to refer to torsos which is effectively what it was for years.

• rick_chasey

Mbape out for the group stages.

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536

Fair enough, tbh I haven't followed cricket closely enough to know what the issues are. From what I understood reviews worked perfectly well on run outs for years, and from what I have seen it seems to be a fairly good system for challenges now.

Either way, VAR has been written into the laws since 2018, and still it often seems a little crap.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

A few examples that come to mind. These days it does work well.

• Bucknor refused to use it initially
    • Hawkeye was called Guesseye by some umpires, so wasn't part of the process. They were then trying to use rulers on replays to work out LBWs. Eventually, they concluded Hawkeye was much more reliable
    • They introduced hot spot which doesn't show faint nicks. They continued to use this, because it was sanctioned while TV companies used snicko.
    • There were then quirks with the laws e.g. a batsman being given run out when in the air running, but several metres after the crease
    • They messed around with umpire's call for a long time.
    • There was a maximum distance for Hawkeye

The relevance of this to football is that it should have been clear from the outset that they needed something like umpire's call and that they needed to check that the laws still worked. They should also have understood that a lot happens between frames and that synchronised cameras make it a lot easier to assess 3D in 2D. They probably could also have gone wild and looked for a system like Hawkeye for offside.

Also, given that no one can agree on what a handball is, it seems like a pointless thing to review.

• kingstongraham

Lovely goal, and the turkey crowd are LOUD.

• kingstongraham

This is a fantastic game

• First.Aspect

Another win for VAR tonight.