Euro 2024 thread

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,500

Did notice Kane starting to drop deep? Took the sting out of a few spells of play..but it isn't a good sign if he starts playing as a false 9 because the midfield is so ineffective.

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023

I hope he doesn't end up like Rooney and chasing the ball around the pitch like a demented spaniel.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657

That'll do, Pig...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,768

Class act plays and talks well.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,671

He was poor. I think he's throttled by the way he's asked to play for England, he's rarely excelled for them.

• kingstongraham

Kane was excellent though.

• MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,901

It was walking football in the second half. Serbia created nothing, and we were far too passive, but I think that came from a bit of (over?) confidence that we weren't going to concede.

Felt a bit of a take the win, don't exert yourselves and save it for the knockout games type performance.

Agree that Foden was poor. Don't think playing wide suits him, he is better in tight areas centrally where he can play quick one touch and slip into space. When he is 8 feet from everyone it doesn't suit him.

• MidlandsGrimpeur2

Abd Roy Keane is right, TAA is brilliant going forward, but he can't defend. Got caught 3 or 4 times tonight, against better sides it will cost us.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,394
  • rick_chasey
  • MidlandsGrimpeur2
    edited June 16

Yeah, Trippier and Walker is out of necessity, but this whole Trent is now a midfielder thing doesn't really work. Largely because he isn't!

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,001

Think he's played 6 of his 7 England starts in midfield now and never really impressed. I thought maybe he was going to play a wider right role and get Palmer or Foden to start right and come inside but no. Looking at it now he's competing with Walker for the RB slot.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham

I think what annoys me about games like this is they seem to want to play possession football, but all they do is pass it around backwards, eventually back to pickford and he just hoofs it anyway. It's not wearing down the opposition particularly or creating chances. All that attacking talent and rarely taking a risk going forward, but still giving the ball back in the end.

• rick_chasey

They did win tbf.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,341

They did, but 1-0 is a dangerous lead to sit back on and try to defend. One moment and you conceed.

It was a poor performance from the 30 minute mark on. Foden played out of position again with zero support on the left side. Kane playing in midfield yet again, offering nothing.

They need to play a lot better on Thursday.

• rick_chasey

My noob opinion is if you have Bellingham you don’t need Foden

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,608

Difficult one with Foden, he looked poor in that system but hard to drop England’s domestic player of the season. Was hoping TAA would shine but didn’t have an impact on the game and some casual lapses could have cost England. England solid on the right wing with Saka or Bowen. wouldn’t change the defence unless Shaw is match fit. Bellingham outstanding but might have gassed himself a bit after the first half. Rice solid. Trent’s starting position at risk for next game but can’t see Southgate dropping Foden yet.

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • rick_chasey

Honestly, if you only ever watched England matches (me), you'd think Foden was pretty rubbish.

I don't get it. It's a bit like when they tried to cram Scholes, Lampard and Gerard all into the same midfield.

• First.Aspect

Rice was wasteful.

Foden was powder puff, but he doesn't have 9 other players around him schooled in little triangles.

Was he supposed to be playing wide?

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023

I feel Foden is in the same position McManaman found himself in, good enough to win prizes as a regular in a top team like Real Madrid but seemingly lost in the England setup.

• rick_chasey
    edited June 17

I do think it's OK to have a lesser player who can play the position better?

Either you fit the system to suit the players or you pick the players to fit the system, can't try and do both.

• MidlandsGrimpeur2

Yes, he has always played wide for England. Agree that he is most productive centrally in tight spaces where he can work off other players around him. If you do play him wide you need someone constantly overlapping him so he can play it outside and then cut in to receive the ball back.

I am a big fan of Trent but I just don't see him working out as a CM. It won't happen, but I would start Wharton next game, they need someone who can hold the ball and take the pressure off when they are under the cosh. That would also ease the pressure on Rice. It looked like he had been given the responsibility to try and find the outball in the second half and I don't think he has the passing range for that.

Everyone raving about Jude, but being critical, he was trying to do too much second half and I think it contributed to our lack of shape. Credit too him, he was trying to take responsibility, but there were times where he just needed to sit in, gather the ball and be the playmaker.

Overall though, it was a win and we were never in any trouble.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,874

IIRC this debate has been doing the rounds since 1966 at least. Yes, including 1966.

I totally agree but there seems to be a mantra that "marquee" players have to be played.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,495

I'd be tempted to play Gordon and have Foden on the bench to come on for Bellingham afer an hour or so.

Wilier Izoard XP
  • First.Aspect

I don't think his style of play translates to international level, at least in this team. There isn't enough movement, or enough organised movement, around him.

I wonder if Southgate is going to play this way if he should start Mainoo and Rice together. They are both notionally holding midfielders but they both have more to offer centrally. Might give the team a stronger foundation while Bellingham and most likely Kane, have more freedom.

Alternatively, to give the team more balance, maybe Rashford on the other wing... oh.

• kingstongraham

Is there a system with these England players where they can actually try and go forward and get the ball to Kane in the box more than once in a match? I thought Kane played really well, but his job was to be a target somewhere in midfield and get fouled.

It's not a great surprise that the most impressive looking players are those who are playing in the position they normally play in for their club really.

• First.Aspect

It's the style of play that has to match. We have a fairly deep defense and too much gap between Kane and the midfield. I felt Saka did his job on one wing, but we would need a crosser like Backham to produce anything from as deep in the middle or the other wing.

• rick_chasey

I quite liked Rashford on one side with Saka on the other - more pace from both sides.

• MidlandsGrimpeur2

When we play high and in tighter spaces as we did in the first 30mins, it suits him better, but I agree it still doesn't really fully utilise his potential. Yes, I think Rice/Mainoo or a Rice/Wharton combo may be the better balance for future games. Would certainly offer the potential to give Bellingham and Kane a bit more freedom as you say.

I think when the game gets too deep and defensive as per last night's second half, having that more direct outlet like with Bowen, or a Gordon or even Eze is handy. Kane is brilliant at holding the ball up, the only problem is that every time he did there was nobody near for him to lay it off to. Going wide and holding the ball up with an Eze or Bowen just buys a bit of time and gives more options.

• rick_chasey

Romania were brilliant.

Defending every ball as if conceding would be death, shoot-on-sight, fans were crazy. Most fun team of the tournament so far by a long way. Quality strike for the first goal.