Today's discussion about the news

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598

Where do I say that? You're imagining stuff again.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

I don't, it's done now. But at the time he was being a prize twat.

Good try.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

Well you seem really gleeful that Macron is in difficulty, but Le Pen is the only realistic alternative.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084

Looked to me like he was just looking after his own country's interests - pretty much what he should be doing. No idea why you think he should have done us any favours.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

He's starting to move more to the left in his political views.

• rick_chasey

Reading up on European drug use - interesting. Apparently the Taliban has managed to cut opium farming by around 98% but that hasn't affected the heroin market yet due to substantial stockpiling.

However, once that kicks in, there is a huge worry the users will move to Fentanyl as a replacement, and we all know how even more damaging that is.

I guess there is a real worry that the fentanyl disaster in the states will come to Europe too.

• Pross

Feels odd that the Taliban are significantly cutting supplies when it makes them so much money. It’s not like messing up the health and lives of Westerners is a big worry for them.

• rick_chasey

Haram innit.

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,666

It already has. Fentanyl and other synthetic opioids are already rife in major cities in the UK. It's easier to make. Far cheaper to import as the purity is very high so less quantity is required before it is cut. It's also harder to detect and once a method of detection is found by then the formula has changed so it's back to square one.

Heroin has had its day it seems. A bit like Squidgy Black or Soap Bar etc whereas now it's just Skunk.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Stevo_666

Not expecting favours, but Macron on more than one occasion was shit stirring trying to get the EU to take a harder line than what they actually did. So quite fun to see him getting a bit of comeuppance.

• rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511

It's probably a result of how politics has evolved over the centuries, but I really do hope that we can take a step back from the increasingly poisonous partisanship of current politics: it does not do societies any good to be at war with themselves. I'm really not sure why 'centrism' is so difficult to embrace & foster.

I suppose we should be glad we're still not as far gone as the US...

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,666

I bet ironically that this will have more bearing on the US elections than Trump's verdict

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387

Macron's panic has caused the Etape du Tour to be brought forward 24 hours to the Saturday (6th July) instead of 7th July which would clash with polling day.

I suspect that's going to cause a few riders some issues.

• Stevo_666

You're getting confused between Macron and Brexit in your attempt to be a smartarse 😉

• rjsterry

I don't think he was shit-stirring; I think he was trying to make sure we were the only one to leave. From his point of view if a worse deal for us was what was needed to do that, why not? He obviously believes in a more closely united Europe. You can see that from all the efforts he's been making in relation to a united response to the war in Ukraine. In that context it's not at all surprising that he took a harsher line on the consequences of leaving; at the time other countries were making noises about leaving (egged on by Russia and its fanbois). That's died down somewhat so arguably it worked. Obviously not completely, or RN and the like wouldn't have had a good election.

I do think it's weird to hold a grudge about such things.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    edited June 12

The more I think about it, the more I think the Macron move is stupid.

Far right supporters don't necessarily get put off by the far right once they have been in power. Look at Trump. The things they f*ck up just make the narrative for them easier. They thrive off things not being good. They, specifically, seem to thrive in eras of high inflation and or low/no wage growth.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

Trouble for Macron is that the right would just fester, stew and grow if he did nothing.

Possibly damned if he does, definitely damned if he doesn't rock and a hard place.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross

I assume the thinking is that many of those who voted for them aren't really supporters and that it was little more than a protest vote that won't be repeated in a 'proper' election. It's far easier to vote them into a parliament where you don't see their policies at work every day. If the assumption is right it is probably a good move as it cuts any right-wing claims of legitimacy off at the knees.

• rjsterry

The leader of the Republicans has said he backs Bardella, which is obviously not great. Strong Braverman vibes.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026

What if it's not just a protest vote?

Not that long ago voting Macron was seen as a protest vote.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Stevo_666

There was definitely an element of shit stirring. A worse relationship with the UK would not help French trade, so have to assume that he was either posturing to get votes by appearing to be a 'Rosbif basheur', or his haughty federalist ideals compelled him to try and punish us for daring to leave the club. Either way, he will be history soon.

• Stevo_666

Amusing article about Europe's shift to the right:

Quote:

"Following the EU referendum, some commentators announced they would be moving to continental Europe to escape “far-Right” Britain. You wonder how they are doing now. Probably with heads still in the sand. At the heart of this mindset is to see Brexit Britain as backward, a pariah state. 

Never mind that remarkably similar policies to those pursued here are being put into practice on the Continent. Meloni recently struck a Rwanda-esque deal with Albania, expected to be operational within a couple of months. But it’s not just the milder face of European populism; the EU itself has funded a scheme moving asylum seekers from Libya to Rwanda.

Social Democratic Denmark, meanwhile, has pursued some of the toughest immigration policies in Europe in recent years. Danish lawmakers insist on integration in ways that would be anathema to leftish British sensibilities; migrants who commit serious crimes can lose their social housing, for instance. Interestingly, Denmark’s harder line on migration appears to have shielded its government from the fate of many other centre-Left parties. It’s almost as if voters reward you for listening to them."

😊

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    edited June 12

I assume it's deliberate to pretend that Italy's deal on housing migrants in Albania while being processed is like the UK plan fo Rwanda, but it really isn't.

• Pross

That's my point - he is gambling that it is. Time will tell whether the gamble is brave or foolish it could be his equivalent of Cameron offering a Brexit vote to shut up the internal dissenters.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

It's hard to keep up. The EU's deal with Turkey is pretty similar to the Rwanda deal.

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,125

more self-satisfied telegraph nonsense for the delusional, especially the whining straw man argument, it's really quite pathetic

eu citizens didn't get their rights taken away by brexiters, and it's unlikely they'll lose their rights under echr, which is what the tories are threatening uk citizens with

immigration is an issue whether in the eu or out of it, brexit was never going to be a solution

the euro right wingers saw the damage of brexit and have no desire to follow suit

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rjsterry

I think I explained why he might be motivated to push for a worse deal for the UK. Ultimately if we were collectively thick enough to insist on leaving, whinging about them not allowing us to leave on the absolute best terms is a bit wet.

Pinnacle Monzonite