TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

1474849505153»

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,463

Same here. First season was fresh and new. Second season got tired quickly but still hyped by the critics. Third season abandoned after an episode or two. Same with Ted Lasso.

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,399

Has anyone watched Baby Reindeer (Netflix)? Binged it on Sunday night with the Mrs.

To think it is a true story is quite remarkable

Wilier Izoard XP
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,463
    edited April 23

Not an easy watch in places but recommended viewing.

takes a certain type of person to write and star in a series with such sensitive material.

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,016

Was very good and often uncomfortabe.

Writer played himself and didn’t shy away from his own failings. I didn’t get how he convinced himself he could do standup, but maybe he was worse in his own mind, so that’s why he played it like that.

Hope writing and performing this helps him move on.

• Enjoying the BBC short series - The New Dig Pompeii - very interesting, especially if you have been there. Also the subtitled Italian from some of the staff is helping my Italian!

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,891

Looking forward to Shardlake coming to Disney+ on 1st May. Hope they do it justice.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    edited April 26

That looks brilliant, thanks for posting, sure my 10 year old will be interested in that too :-)

I've recently finished book number 2, and like them a lot - partly like them as they are fairly lengthy books, which is unusual these days, iirc somewhere in the region of 5-600 pages, at least for the first two.

I've only gotten on to them as I became aware book 7 is set in my home city of Norwich (Tombland) but didn't want to jump straight to that one, so have started at the beginning.

I wonder how much it will be changed, I'm guessing the hunchback element will be minimised, or maybe ever removed, which would be a shame, as that was a fairly key part of the books I thought.

I don't have a disney membership, but might wait until all the episodes are available, and then pay for 1 months membership and watch them all.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross

I've had a quick look at the trailer and he's definitely still portrayed as a hunchback. I got given the first book as a Christmas present and didn't think it would be my thing but I really enjoyed it and ended up getting through the whole series back to back over a couple of months. I learned more about that period of history from them than I did in school history lessons of documentaries I've seen, a bit like the Sharpe novels did for the Napoleonic era.

• daniel_b
    edited April 28

Just watched the trailer too, and yes looks very promising, with ole Sean Bean in there as well as Crommers.

I've just placed a reservation for book 3, Sovereign - I'm not reading mine back to back, I interspersed with a load of other detective/investigation type books, so will likely take me another year or so to get to book 7!

It would appear Tombland is also the final book in the series.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited April 30

Hadn't clocked that CJ Sansom was ill, would appear he passed away yesterday at the age of 71, cancer the one that seems to get so many people.

Rumour is he had begun an 8th book, but was unable to finish it.

I wonder if he managed to see the TV production of his first book, hopefully he approved.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross

Hadn't realised that either and was wondering why there'd been no more books. It didn't feel like the series had reached a natural conclusion. At least he hadn't gone the route of 'co-writing' like Lee Child has with Reacher which has resulted in terrible books. I suspect Andy McNab did the same (or got a different ghost writer) with his last few Nick Stone books too as they went downhill too.

• wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 690

Am looking for something to break up the endless re-runs of taskmaster over tea time. Did Shardlake deliver on the great expectations set here?

================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Pross

Only watched the first episode so far, will hopefully get another one or two tonight. It's been pretty good so far, one or two glaring differences from the books (which is always an issue watching something you've read first).

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,472

Just watched the first two of three episodes of Dark Woods on Walter Presents on C4.

Excellent German detective drama full of intrigue and mystery. Very gripping.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 690

Binged it last night.

Lots of 'smell the fart' acting and it shyed away from the lighter tones alluded to by the book readers but overall a crackling yarn.

================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Pross
    edited May 4

Just finished it and enjoyed it. The guy portrays Shardlake as being a lot more surly than I always envisaged him and they brought Barak in when he doesn’t come in until book 2. Other than that it was a fairly decent adaptation.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    edited May 5

Clarkson's Farm s3

Only meant to have a look and ended up binging the whole series. Such an interesting insight into the realities of farming. The 4th episode is heartbreaking too.

Oh and credit to The Gentlemen. A brilliant rennaisance for Kaya Scodi-thingy

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 434

I don’t know whether it’s classed as a tv series but I have found the Post office / Horizon inquest great viewing.

• Pross

Just watched the first two episodes tonight. The pigs brought some comic relief.

Having worked in that area quite a bit in my last job I can certainly empathise with him having to deal with the planners, Councillors and NIMBYS around there.

• wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 297

The Tattooist of Auschwitz on Sky is very good. I have not read the book so cannot comment on how the two compare.

• daniel_b

Yet to watch that, there is SO much amazing stuff on WP, I think it receives a far more smaller audience than it deserves.

Just finished both series of Top Dog myself, which was brilliant.

That all bodes very well, fully aware how they use a bit of artistic licence to make stories more palatable for the masses, even though that's a bit annoying 😐️

Surprised given the length of the book it is only 4 X 52minute episodes, had assumed it would be a 6 or 8 parter.

Is there much in the way of violence/gore in it?

I don't have an issue with it (Though not a fan of glorified violence but will watch it if the plot merits it), but my partner has a strong aversion to such things, so just wondering if it is something to watch whilst on the turbo or to watch with her.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross

Not much violence or gore to be honest, the initial murder is a beheading with a sword (I'm not spoiling anything there as it is in the first few minutes). I think they kept the number of episodes down by not really covering much of the dealings with the monks and their background so it definitely loses a lot of detail but probably doesn't affect it purely as a TV programme.

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,472

Finally got round to the 3rd and final episode. Really gripping and you can feel the frustration of the investigation. Based on a true crime apparently. You can't believe the incompetence of the German police. They almost make the MET look professional. Almost.

Well worth a watch.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.