Today's discussion about the news

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

Agree it seemed obvious. Israel were a bit like a fish that could see the huge hook in the bait but couldn't resist, they could have ruined the plan with a more proportionate response. I don't think they particularly care though as they have a large element internally that support aggression towards Iran.

Not that the West can talk much as I've always felt Islamist terrorist attacks have worked on a similar basis. Not necessarily State sponsored but the intention is to stir up a reaction that can then be used to rouse more moderate Muslims into the belief they are being attacked. Again, the responses have often been exactly what I assume the terrorist groups wanted.

FWIW I think the actions of the US and UK at the weekend is much more what we should be doing i.e. assisting in a defensive role but there should also be another side that is saying we're happy to help you defend yourselves but we will stop that support if you continue expanding your land and taking offensive action.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

I don't think Britain should be invovled tbh. Iran are not a threat to Britain or enough of a threat to British interest.

Ukrainians must be wondering what they need to do to get that kind of support.

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,126

especially as israel refused to let ukraine get the iron dome missile defense system, resulting in the destruction of infrastructure and increasing loss of life

the israelis dug this hole for themselves through decades of stealing palestinian land, subjugating/murdering the people and flouting international law

shouldn't get a penny of uk taxpayers' money

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,028

No I don't think we should be defending Israel - not unless it's as part of a peace settlement. We are just making ourselves a target for terrorism by association .

Re Saudi wanting to normalise relations with Israel I assume it's better for business not to be in conflict with your neighbour or for there to be a civil war on your doorstep.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084

Seems like Iran's attack was very deliberately telegraphed so as to be mostly symbolic. I would imagine the main reason for US and UK involvement was to see that it did pass off as that and some error didn't lead to a big escalation.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    edited April 15

Saudi interest is not that benign. If that was the case, they wouldn't have gone into Yemen, nor would they have backed the other side in Syria.

• sungod

afaik improved saudi relationship with israel was required by usa in return for agreeing to sell the saudis lots of usa weaponry

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536

Framed like that, it would seem getting involved is the right thing to do.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

True. The question is what will follow?

Logic says no harm, no foul, so no retaliation is necessary. Will Israel continue playing the game, or retaliate?

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • sungod

if we're genuinely trying to stop escalation we'll also be shooting down israeli drones, missiles and aircraft attacking iran

• rjsterry
    edited April 15

Was depressed to see the number of comments along the lines of "oh, so if Iran attacks Israel we step in, but if Israel attacks Gaza we can't do anything". Many suggesting it was some sort of racially motivated double standard. As if Iran was some sort of justified victim rather than just another regime clinging to power by any means. Obviously when they murder their own population it's just an unpleasant necessity.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey

People seem to lose their minds on the conflict in general. I've never known something quite so polarising for something that is quite so obviously isn't a one sided thing, and it seems to occupy people's minds so much, disproportionately so.

• rick_chasey

What really does my head in is the guy in Cambridge who's out protesting in favour of Palestine.

Guy is quite clearly either gay or unbelievably camp - does he not know what happens to gays in Palestine?!

• Jezyboy

Ultimately the reality is that Israel is our ally and Iran not, so we're hardly likely to be the perfectly unbiased third party.

Within that reality, stopping the Iranian drone attack like this seems more likely to slow the escalation than letting it take place.

• sungod

oh yes, completely agree

but one line trotted out by the government was that we did it to avoid escalation, which is clearly a lie as we would not shoot down israeli weapons, we did it because we're still sucking up to the usa

• rick_chasey

I don’t think we need reminding how Britain and America responded to being attacked by terrorists…

• rjsterry

I think it was intended to be stopped. It's mostly about satisfying the reputational need to respond to Israel's strike while also making it fairly clear they don't want to start a full blown war.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    edited April 15

He’s not the only one, as I have been banging on about.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

I'm surprised he's baffled - the world only cares about other countries where they have an interest which usually means oil or, increasinly, precious metals. In Africa most of that is already sewn up by China so there's no gain. Does anyone think Governments get involved in wars or political issues of other countries unless they stand to gain in some way? The Middle East is critical because of oil and control of the Suez.

It's shit but it is the way of the world and always has been.

• Jezyboy

I'm not sure this really matters though. Hopefully, it just means Iran have saved face, and Israel are happy to threaten but not immediately retaliate.

• sungod

let the african states sort it out

the locals need to stop killing each other in the name of their rulers/parties/imaginary friends/sects/tribes/whatever, that can't be imposed from outside, they weren't born doing it, it's a choice they made

for ex-colonial powers it's lose-lose, they're often hated on the ground and would end up even more hated for propping up one side or another - better and cheaper to fund african union/whatever to assemble member peacekeeping forces (as long as there's a strict control on where the money goes, i.e for boots on the ground, not ministers in mansions)

china doesn't want any military involvement

some states turned to russia's, now nationalised, wagner as their preferred rent-a-thugs, but they'll only do it for gold/similar, they're certainly not interested in solving anything for the locals, just funding russia's war

• Jezyboy

Israel has not got oil or control of the Suez though?

Sudan has oil, Somalia risks international shipping, yet by and large we don't seem to really care about what's going on.

I'm also not sure much of the media really give much of a hoot what happens in most of the middle East either, Yemen only really makes the news when bombs go off in the background of the F1, or if they start playing silly buggers with shipping.

• Just seen bits of the BBC interview with Liz Truss - she didn't even look fully switched on, very strange

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

Israel has influence in the US though and we are the US lap dog.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625

In other more important news. What the hell has happened to Michael Slater, former Australian opening batsman? Really gone off the rails the last few years. Looks like he’ll be going away for a stretch this time.

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • rick_chasey

Why is banning tobacco going to be more effective than other drug bans?

• Jezyboy

I'd guess if you were gonna go to the trouble of getting something illegal, you'd go for something more fun.