The cooking thread and what are you having for dinner tonight beansnikpoh?

1515253545557»

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,460

There's fine schools in Wimbledon?!

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,737

Some are underground, some are overground, usually free...

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,732
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,591
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,448
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • I went to a fairly standard comprehensive school but over the first five years up to GCSE, we had around 15 kids expelled from my year group. This always struck me as a fairly high number, much higher than average for a single year group?

• pinno

Last nights concoction:

[Serves 8]

Roasted tomato and pepper sauce (for pasta).

Take 3 good sized red bell peppers chopped into large chunks.

6 - 8 shallots halved

3 whole cloves of garlic (peeled)

Toss in a little olive oil, Thyme and Oregano, season well.

Roast in a suitably sized gratin dish for 35-40 mins (until slightly charred)

Add 500g passata, place back in the oven and roast for another 20-25mins.

Remove from the oven and blend for a very short period (I did this in 2 batches). Do not puree, keep the texture but do not blitz.

Toss into pasta (about a serving spoon per person) of your choosing. Handy for pulling out of the freezer when in a hurry. Better than the usual Pesto which gets a little tedious after 30+ years.

We had Fusilli with a side salad including: Finely sliced red pepper, iceberg, Bistro salad with chard, spring onions, mayo and a small amount of crumbled stilton.

• beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533

I did a very similar batch for the freezer a month or so ago for that very purpose. Don't tell mini about the peppers. She thinks it's just tomato.

• pinno

Clever move.

Shorty can be quite fussy though she's eaten plenty of food with the very stuff in it that she claims she doesn't like.

• seanoconn

Shin of beef and bean stew. Dried beans soaked overnight, cooking in a nice stock for 45 mins before adding to the beef with a few sausages thrown in. Cooked for hours 🤞

• seanoconn
    edited April 29

pic experiment

• homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,048

Chilli con carne, mad a big pot as MrsHD is away next week so I'm getting some prep done.

Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno

What's your recipe?

I've seen lots of dishes they call 'Chilli con carne' and lots they call 'Bolognese' and it's anything but. I also like Chilli with no rice. Rice is from the far east, Chilli is from Mexico/Southern Texas. Anyway, it makes me feel like Lee Van Cleef when I eat it like that.

• homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,048

Slow cooked (overnight) brisket, shredded.

Fry off some onion, chillies and garlic, add some mexican bean mix - I'm not a huge fan of traditional kidney beans.

If the kids are eating add some chunky mushrooms as they love em.

Add a decent glug of red wine until it flashes off.

Home made concoction of flour, spices, salt and pepper to coat all the vegies and get some stickness in there to thicken.

Add some pulped tomatos and simmer for a while, then add the shredded brisket and some corriander.

Serve with rice/tacos soured cream and guacamole (and the rest of the red wine 😋)

Advocate of disc brakes.