Comments

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    edited January 21

Van der Poel 0 - 1 Pole

https://twitter.com/_pabloj51_/status/1749142999227871401

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455

Check the color of the pole. Do you think that's a coincidence? Wake up, sheeple!!

😉

PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • m.r.m.

Was a good race to watch. WVA looks to be coming into form. MvdP's legs were better than they usually are when he is coming off a training block in Spain. Pidcock looking decent again and very impressive ride by Thibau Nys.

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625

Ahh, after watching the crash video I get what MVDP meant went he said he thought the pole was soft. He assumed the black and yellow tape was foam and he could ride close to the pole, brushing against the soft surface. Nope.

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • m.r.m.

He takes so many stupid risks and usually bails himself out with his stellar talent and abilities.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited January 22

That was a big old hit eh, quite the impact.

Given his fall from grace, and not even making the podium, it's clearly time for him to retire.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090

***Thread crossover alert***

Thankfully Hatch hyperbole said last week in Benidorm that was his last CX commentary this year.

Especially after he claimed (52mins in) that Ceylin del Carmen Alverado was "...fighting for the world cup like nobody has fought for the world cup before...". He is a tw@t.

I'm sorry but that sort of hyper bollox spoils it and besides, ES has plenty of proficient alternatives.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,198

Both Hoogerheide races, men's and women's, are good watches. Guess who wins. But good races.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,393

Normal service continues.

I think the only race MvdP has lost was the only time he donned white shorts......

• r0bh

Worlds mixed relay was a pretty good race

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293

Cracking Women's Junior race. Well worth a watch so not adding spoiler

• JimD666

Men's U23 race fairly "meh"

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973

Hard to get excited with the women's race.... first lap top 5 all from the Netherlands and the leader well out front. Doesn't seem much like a WORLD Championships.

“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • pinno

It was. Didn't get an interview with Cat unfortunately (unless I missed it?).

• JimD666

Honestly don't know. I don't leave leave any of the streams run long enough for the interviews.

• seanoconn

Women’s race a bit of a procession.

slow heavy power course would have suited Wout, shame. Can see why Pidcock gave it a miss. Not expecting an exciting men’s race tomorrow.

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449

It's a fast course usually, it's rare that it gets heavy like this, especially at this time of year, when you'd expect frozen temperatures overnight as a minimum.

• JimD666

Hoping that the Men's Jnr and Women's U23 will be decent tomorrow, expecting a similar sort of procession in the Men's Elite as the Woman's was today.

• r0bh

Junior women's race a far better watch than the seniors

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170

The juniors in both men's & women's have been good all season - and interestingly, the most international, with a mix of French, Italian, Czech & Slovakian.......

Sadly, most of them are lost to the road, or don't get picked up by the insular Belgian CX teams.....so by U23/Elite it becomes a Bel/Ned contest.

Sadly, the women's Elite was a boreathon - all about power, and not much else. Fem just rode away.......and another all Dutch podium......The women's side badly needs some competition for the Dutch, but that is what happens for a niche discipline.

All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973

Well, it's got to be said.... totally boring Men's race. No real racing and MvdP on a totally different level. Not good for a so-called world championships... really a bit of local racing between Holland and Belgium.

“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,198

Catching up: Zoe B, n-n-19, doing a MvdP in the U23 race. Good one gurl.

• seanoconn

Haven’t enjoyed this CX season as much as the past couple.

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449

Tough crowd. One of the greatest, if not the greatest, cross riders of all time dominates the second half of the season, and shows his class to take the World title for the sixth time.

Elsewhere, lots of young talent, Niewenheus, Ronhaar, Nys, even Mason, show their class and take on the existing cross elite, and regularly beat them.

That's a good season in my book.

• pinno
    edited February 4

I agree. Few head to heads with 'the big 3', Fem dominating the women's events that she entered.

MvdP winning 13 of the 14 races he entered.

With an obvious change in emphasis, I hope WvA can have a great srping campaign and season.

• takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    edited February 5

I think it's a case of not denying his greatness, but enjoying the racing a bit more when they're more evenly matched.

It's why we prefer TDF22 to TDF21, for similar reasons. If one rider dominates it's impressive, but less enjoyable as a fan

• r0bh

The Tabor course in warm and muddy mode just doesn't make for a great spectacle. Not very technical so comes down to a bit of an FTP test

• r0bh

Men's Exact cross race today is a good watch

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago