Cyclocross 2023/24 **Contains spoilers**

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160

At the very start it looked like he was struggling to hold onto the front two then in the blink of an eye he had a gap and simply rode away. It's like he's riding a different course to everyone else, no-one seems to even been prepared to try to match him. WVA finished very strongly after looking out of sorts, I wonder if he's bluffing a little bit too. I don't think he's capable of matching MVDP but I feel like he's got a bit more than he's showing and is maybe just building for the Worlds. Cameron Mason's form seems to be gradually dropping off after such a good start to the season (or maybe the others are building their form after slower starts).

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449

I think most British riders always struggle with a course as sandy as Koksijde, as we don't have many sandy courses in the UK, so it's not a skill that we start learning from a young age. On Mason, he does seem to have seen a dip in form since his warm weather training camp in Spain in early December.

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 905

I don’t why he would be bluffing as he’s not supposed to be riding the worlds.

• andyp

Van Aert has been very candid in saying that his form isn't where it needs to be for him to be competitive against Van Der Poel, and that he can't ride a full hour at 100%. He's clearly riding within himself for the first 45 minutes, then he usually has enough left in the tank to ride the last two laps flat out.

His focus is very much on the road, and him and his coach have identified his cross campaign last year as having a detrimental effect on his road performances in the biggest spring races, i.e. Flanders and Roubaix.

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170

Another masterclass from MvdP, and another fabulous ride to 2nd from Ronhaar. Wout's focus is on training for his road campaign, so isn't as CX fit as others.

However, we've seen similar demonstrations from MvdP in 2017/18, 2018/19, 2019/20....when he's at his best, he's almost unbeatable; nobody else has the combination of skills & power.

In other news, the Holmgren's focus will be on the road, which is why they didn't go to Sven's team for CX, unlike Brand, Van Anrooij & Meurs.

All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293

Not seeing any coverage for the upcoming National Champs. Seems a little odd

• andyp

It has been live streamed on YouTube by BC the past few years, although I've not seen any announcements about whether it's happening this year yet.

• JimD666
    edited January 6

It was on GCN/Eurosport last year. Keep hoping something will pop up

• Pross

Great ride by Backstedt, her attack took me completely by surprise as she’d looked like she was struggling to hang onto the other two just beforehand. Very British conditions for her, she will have done a few races like that in the South Wales League over the years. Incredible to think she’s still only 19, she would have been in the Under 10s when I first saw her race!

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

Brutal example of the commentators curse in the Women's race today!

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791

The immense crowds are the most impressive thing

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870

MvdP's form clearly slipping, he only won by less than a minute today.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • JimD666

I dread to think what the bookies will have him at for the Worlds.

• andyp

It has - it'll be available to watch on YouTube and BBC Sport according to BC's social media channels.

• JimD666

Cool. Just need to fit in around everything else :)

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,198

UK Nationals: BBC iPlayer and Sport showing women's elite then men's elite live tomorrow Saturday from 1120. Juniors on YouTube from 0915.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/britishcrosschampionships/article/20240110-National-Cyclo-cross-Championships-Preview--2024-British-National-Cyclo-cross-Championships-0

• If I'm reading right the Elite Mens race is this afternoon shortly after 1pm?

Will give me something to do while I'm working from home today

• andyrac

Good battle in the men's Juniors; first year Oscar Amey finally getting the better of defending champion, Seb Grindley. Neither have shown much in Junior World Cups, so I'm not sure they'll be the successors to Mason, or Pidcock.

All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • andyp

Success at the junior level is not a guaranteed indicator of success at the higher levels, and vice versa.

• orraloon

How many riders will finish in the men's, given the '80%' pull out rule?

Guess who is leading, by quite a long way 36 minutes in.

• Pross

Quite a nice looking course but it’s a bit too rideable and could do with a couple more features to get them off and running. Might have been different if it was a bit wetter. Laps feel short after watching the Belgian races and coverage is a bit shoestring but it’s good to have it to watch. One of the first cycling events I ever saw was the cross nationals from (I think) Roundhay Park on Grandstand back in the 80s. I’ve been involved in helping out on a few in the past too along with National Trophy rounds so now the huge amount of work that goes into them from amateur volunteers.

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

Thomas Mein got a great start, but Cameron Mason let him hang out there a while before closing him down and MvdPing him. Couple of laps left and Mason has a huge gap.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyrac
  • andyp

No need to be snarky.

Both the Amey brothers have barely ridden World Cup races this year, I think Oscar has only done two, not sure on Alfie, but it's probably the same, so it's hard to gauge how good they are at a World level yet.

• hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555

Meanwhile, In the absence of Wout Van Aert, Eli Iserbyt wins the Belgian Championship. European champion Michael Vanthourenhout comes in third.

• orraloon

Both Benidorm (women and men) races are a good watch, esp the men's. All going on right to the end.

• hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555

Wout Van Aert wins World Championshipship in Benidorm ahead of European champion Michael Vanthourenhout. Mathieu van der Poel can only ride his way back to fifth after a crash.

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625

Cracking course, really enjoyed today’s races. Wout did well to finish on a broken saddle after the decision to run the hurdles on the last lap went tits up. MVDP scything his way through the field on the first lap was beautiful to watch.

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • orraloon

And no Isha, 20 degrees, sun, dry.... lucky lucky barstew......