Cyclocross 2023/24 **Contains spoilers**

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    orraloon said:

The Cam man steps up one more. 👍

Good race I thought. It must have tough to be 5 to 10 seconds off the lead for most of the race.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    webboo said:

orraloon said:

The Cam man steps up one more. 👍

Good race I thought. It must have tough to be 5 to 10 seconds off the lead for most of the race.
    He's knocking on the door but... just as the big 3 are about to hit the scene.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Hard to get a clear picture of the WvA's schedule. According to Cycling today, he was supposed to start in Boom.
    VdP starts on the 22nd December.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    This is useful, from cyclocross24.

• pinno
    I am sure they were Geese not ducks.
  • webboo
    pinno said:

My thoughts as well.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    andyp said:

So as GCN plus will be dead then, I'm thinking a 1 month sub to Discovery on December 22nd would get me most of the interesting cross races over that month.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    daniel_b said:

andyp said:

So as GCN plus will be dead then, I'm thinking a 1 month sub to Discovery on December 22nd would get me most of the interesting cross races over that month.
    Sounds like that’s the best option for me too
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno said:

Domestic Muscovy ducks
  • pinno
    edited December 2023
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    pinno said:
    Given the regularity with which certain Eurosport commentators misidentify riders do you really think they should be regarded as authoritative when identifying birds?

They're definitely ducks, btw. @andrew_s-2 is correct
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • webboo

pinno said:
    Given the regularity with which certain Eurosport commentators misidentify riders do you really think they should be regarded as authoritative when identifying birds?

Muscovy ducks appear to be black and white. The birds that I saw on the bend were just white.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Would have been more appropriate for the ducks to be at an X2O Badkamers Trofee race really
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,198
    r0bh said:

Would have been more appropriate for the ducks to be at an X2O Badkamers Trofee race really

Wrong colour though... 😊
  • pinno
    RUIK thinks they are Geese.
    Eurosport contradicted their own commentators by stating that they were Geese,
    Road CC think they are ducks.
    Canadian cycling magazine think they are geese.
    Cycling news think they are geese.
  • webboo said:

pinno said:

Muscovy ducks appear to be black and white. The birds that I saw on the bend were just white.
    I did say DOMESTIC Muscovy ducks.
    There's nothing unusual about domesticated versions of a species being a very different colour to their wild relatives
    Mallard > domesticated mallard
    Muscovy duck > domesticated muscovy duck

The Eurosport commentators (Rik & Helen) actually said ducks, correctly, and again on the last lap when they returned. Whoever did the snippet obviously thought he knew better, and trimmed out the commentary that disagreed.

• pinno
    edited December 2023
    I love a quacking good argument.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,198
    That's honking.
  • pinno
    edited December 2023
    The duck lobby has poultry evidence.
  • flite
    flite Posts: 225
    We need to have the rider's opinions on this.
  • webboo
    edited December 2023
    I think andrew is ducking the issue here. I need to have a gander on the RSPB website for further evidence.
  • pinno
    My cat ate a duck and turned into a duck filled fatty pus.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    Back to the racing, and a predictably pathetic entry for the Val di Sole World Cup........
    Compare and contrast to a Val di Sole MTB World Cup........
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    andyrac said:

Back to the racing, and a predictably pathetic entry for the Val di Sole World Cup........

Can’t blame them really. Enjoy watching them slide around the snow and ice but dangerous. Puck will be giving it a go no doubt.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    andyrac said:

Pity, ;cos it's a quacking event.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    seanoconn said:

andyrac said:

Can’t blame them really. Enjoy watching them slide around the snow and ice but dangerous. Puck will be giving it a go no doubt.
    The men's field isn't missing many of the current top riders, just the Trek Baloise riders with the exception of Nieuwenheus by the looks of things.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Any relation of Smewenheus?
  • webboo
    edited December 2023
    andyp said:

seanoconn said:

andyrac said:

The men's field isn't missing many of the current top riders, just the Trek Baloise riders with the exception of Nieuwenheus by the looks of things.
    In the mens field there is 14 of the top 30 ranked riders. In the womens there is only 7 of the top thirty.
    They need to start paying some decent start money😏
  • pinno
    The Exact cross is on Saturday and FvE is leading the women's elite. I wonder if this is more about travel.
    Perhaps the UCI should consider that 14 events is too much.
    Maybe riders feel that it's not worth the risk.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    The UCI don't choose the calendar....it's Flanders Classics - the more rounds, the more hosting fees they get; it's exactly the same how F1/WRC works......the FiA don't have anything to do with the calendar, apart from publishing it.

In MTB, there's no doubt that the World Cup is THE series to do; other series wouldn't dream of hosting events the same weekend. CX needs to be the same...8-10 rounds with events spread over the weekend. Other weekends are free for X20, Superprestige, ExactCross.......
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."