2024 Election thread

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,537

But short of government diktat, surely that's the only escape route, isn't it? It's been decades in the making, and it's going to take decades to undo, short of a house price crash, which would have massive repercussions, from security on loans to pension funds.

I know that's not cheering news, and it's definitely not me trying to defend what is a very unfortunate situation for those at the wrong end of it.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091

The problem is the supply of homes, not the supply of homes to buy. If rentals were affordable and reasonably secure, there would not need to be such an emphasis on ownership.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972

Maggie opened the bottle. People want to own, if they can afford it and are settled. Rental prices are linked to house values, unless rental constraints are introduced. Which would probably mean rental houses being sold to ownership.

I'm not happy with the situation, just looking at the bigger picture.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605

Not sure how you can say immigration isn't a factor when more people coming into the country all need somewhere to live.

And it really isn't that simple otherwise it probably would have been done by now. There are numerous issues that have already been pointed out on this thread. Also you seem to be forgetting that the state doesn't build private housing so its not like someone can just issue a diktat to go forth and build.

As for stopping the view getting ruined, I know. Buying a house on a hill with a decent plot of land looking down on a load of listed buildings is pretty close to what you advise...problem solved.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648

People fucking and keeping people alive is also a factor, Stevo.

Why are you opposed to just building more?

• rick_chasey

Not really. I think there are a tonne of restrictions they could be lifted and a tonne of objections that can be ignored

• rick_chasey

Not much to disagree with here.

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537

I think that's giving them an easy time of it to be honest.

Besides, the one time that someone with a definite political philosophy took hold of the reins and tried to implement a set of philosophically consistent policies, they nearly drove the economy off a cliff.

• Stevo_666
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry

The increase from immigration is pretty trivial relative to the overall population. And as I've said, stopping that immigration has significant negative consequences.

Local authorities can and do build housing. They just need to do more. The state very much does build, owns land and has the authority to buy more through compulsory purchase if necessary. It has set the targets for private and public housebuilding and continues to do so. It's just that a combination of weak enforcement and a broken planning system mean that the target has been missed every year. Add in opportunist politicians jumping on the nimby bandwagon for a bit of cheap publicity.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,697

So. Will you lot be voting on any other issues?

• rick_chasey

The issue being “anything but the Tories”, right?

• Stevo_666

I will, but its easy to be sidetracked by individual hobby horses on here.

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

I am being realistic. EU workers used to come over here young fit and healthy. They were net contributors as they were taking nothing out

• Stevo_666

Immigration in the last year was over 1% of the total UK population. If that continues year on year then it will be significant. Population growth in the UK cannot continue upwards indefinitely and I have no desire to live on an over crowded island. Judging by the popularity of immigration controls with the general population in the link I posted upthread, neither do most other people.

• surrey_commuter

The biggest uplift is in visas for dependents. That is Govt policy.

• surrey_commuter

You obviously bought the right house in the right area at the right time - chapeau

For the average Joe it will have taken circa 20 years to achieve that outcome

Chuck in their in/out costs and maintenance/improvement costs and it will be closer to a working lifetime

• rjsterry

Reform of the planning system is a pretty material consideration to me; not just a 'hobby horse'. It's also a bit more relevant than dribbling on about immigration.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

If you are really worried about immigration and 'crowding' why on earth did you move to the South East and vote Conservative?

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
  • Stevo_666

Not that many jobs in international tax planning in the metropolis of Middlesbrough, unfortuantely. I moved down when I went to uni in the 80's and have to admit my priorities around that time were more around drinking, chasing poonani and generally having a good time. I wasn't a young fogey like some seems to be these days 😊

• Stevo_666

I realise that it's a point you want to stick your head in the sand about, but it needs addressing and it appears that the majority of the electorate think so as well. As luck would have it, some wag in the Torygraph has come up with a solution which you should like as former Bristolian and a centre leftie:

"At last, a simple solution to the Tories’ immigration woes

According to a major new poll, the people of almost every parliamentary constituency in Britain want immigration to be reduced. A fascinating exception, however, is Bristol Central. This is a new constituency, created in the recent boundary changes to replace Bristol West, one of the most Left-wing and most pro-EU seats in the country. And in Bristol Central, a clear majority of those polled said that immigration actually isn’t high enough. They want it to be even higher.

Such a result may seem somewhat disconcerting. For Tory ministers, though, it’s wonderful news. This week they were planning another doomed attempt to send immigrants to Rwanda. But now they needn’t bother – because there’s an alternative that’s simpler, cheaper, and perfectly legal.

They can send the immigrants to Bristol Central, instead.

Problem solved. Then again, perhaps this approach doesn’t go far enough. After all, the poll makes clear that people in most constituencies want all forms of immigration to fall, not just the one that involves small boats. The progressives of Bristol Central, meanwhile, evidently want all forms of immigration to increase.

Thankfully, the answer is obvious. Each year, all 750,000 or so new arrivals to this country should be given a warm welcome, and presented with free train tickets to Bristol Temple Meads.

It’s the perfect solution. The Corbynites of Bristol Central get more immigration, just as they wanted. The people of the rest of Britain get less immigration, just as they wanted. The immigrants themselves get to live somewhere in Britain, just as they wanted. And at the same time, the total volume of immigration to Britain doesn’t actually fall. So our political class will be happy, too."

😄

• rjsterry

Do come back to me when you support a party that isn't actively increasing immigration.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
  • rjsterry

Right, so one might even call it economic migration 😁. Still, if you are worried about being crowded, there's a dilemma there. Seeing as you now WFH a lot you could live wherever but have chosen to stick with the SE.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    edited January 16

Here's the UK population graph.

19th century boom; WW1; WW2; baby boom; post boom slowing of growth. Near enough a straight line until 2010 when something changed. 🧐

If you're telling me the whole problem is immigration, who is responsible for that?

Who hands out visas?

What on earth makes you think they would change direction now after 14 years?

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537

If you genuinely think it's a top issue, and continue voting Tory, then you are being taken for a chump.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158

It looks like a good old World War is the best solution for population growth. Better still if conscription is done on an oldest first basis. Just need to ask the enemy nicely not to damage our current housing stock though (although it could create some decent Brownfield sites).

• Stevo_666

Suppose I once was an econmic migrant. Although I am on a hybrid contract so am expected to be in the office 2-3 days a week. Which I do, as it's a bit trickier managing people by Teams.