Donald Trump

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

More embarrassing should be that he says the virus was manufactured in China and released.

Except that he didn't say that. What China did was to brutally shut down their own country without shutting down international travel.

Is that Trump?
    No, it's Giuliani. Have you not been paying attention?
    Did I get in the Giuliani thread by mistake?
    You’ve arrived on a cycling forum by mistake
    Not really. See, I bought this old Brompton and I am in the process of stripping it down to fit in the back of my airplane. It is an early 2000s H5R and I plan to get rid of the rack and fenders, put S bars on it and update it some with a cheap China hollow crank. I've been a bike guy off and on for over 50 years, started out on a Raleigh Competition in the '70 then got interested in mountain bikes and bought one of the first, a Ritchey Commando, came as a box of parts, nothing built but the wheels . . .

I always wondered about the foreign interest in Trump. Most Americans couldn't tell you who the British PM is.
    I think there was a poll of US public claiming Scottish heritage a few years ago that found about 20% could actually find Scotland on a map. I've never understood why Americans (a term other Americans across the rest of those two continents find offensive by the way) wear ignorance as a badge of honour.
    Most Europeans wouldn't be able to find a US state of similar population on a map either.
    I think the key bit there is "of Scottish heritage"
    True. I missed that bit which does change things a bit. In general though I find the argument " Americans are so stupid " to be, well, stupid
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

More embarrassing should be that he says the virus was manufactured in China and released.

Except that he didn't say that. What China did was to brutally shut down their own country without shutting down international travel.

Is that Trump?
    Not really. See, I bought this old Brompton and I am in the process of stripping it down to fit in the back of my airplane. It is an early 2000s H5R and I plan to get rid of the rack and fenders, put S bars on it and update it some with a cheap China hollow crank. I've been a bike guy off and on for over 50 years, started out on a Raleigh Competition in the '70 then got interested in mountain bikes and bought one of the first, a Ritchey Commando, came as a box of parts, nothing built but the wheels . . .

I always wondered about the foreign interest in Trump. Most Americans couldn't tell you who the British PM is.
    I think there was a poll of US public claiming Scottish heritage a few years ago that found about 20% could actually find Scotland on a map. I've never understood why Americans (a term other Americans across the rest of those two continents find offensive by the way) wear ignorance as a badge of honour.
    Most Europeans wouldn't be able to find a US state of similar population on a map either.
    I'm mostly surprised that there are only 10 states with a population of more than London. 😱🤔
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    Been off this thread for a few days (doesn't seem like I missed much) and what has struck me that over 3 pages, there's NO mention whatsoever about the 2nd presidential debate and the mute button...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pinno said:

Been off this thread for a few days (doesn't seem like I missed much) and what has struck me that over 3 pages, there's NO mention whatsoever about the 2nd presidential debate and the mute button...

I simply decided to use the off button. 😉
    First one taught me that there was no point.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    pinno said:

Didn’t watch it - polling summary seems to be no change either way
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    shortfall said:

Ben6899 said:

shortfall said:

Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

Is there a sockpuppet in here?

It's a sure way to get a response in here: favour Trump, Brexit, Covid-scepticism, etc., though the Cake Stop characters are soft in comparison with the below-the-line commenters in the Telegraph: the responses to this article about Marcus Rashford in the Telegraph demonstrates what happens when people try to outdo each other in their vitriol in demeaning an act of thought for others less fortunate. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/respect-marcus-rashford-grows-deeper-day/

Telegraph BTL contributors are the absolute worst people.
    Oh I don't know. Get yourself over to Twitter and see how the SNP and Momentum fanboys roll if you want to see real bile and venom.

Yeh the Telegraph contributors are worse.
    There most be some massive cunts in there then but I'll take your word for it.
    Woah. Has BR switched off the Cbeebies level swear filter? 🥳
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    orraloon said:

shortfall said:

Ben6899 said:

shortfall said:

Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

Is there a sockpuppet in here?

It's a sure way to get a response in here: favour Trump, Brexit, Covid-scepticism, etc., though the Cake Stop characters are soft in comparison with the below-the-line commenters in the Telegraph: the responses to this article about Marcus Rashford in the Telegraph demonstrates what happens when people try to outdo each other in their vitriol in demeaning an act of thought for others less fortunate. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/respect-marcus-rashford-grows-deeper-day/

Telegraph BTL contributors are the absolute worst people.
    Oh I don't know. Get yourself over to Twitter and see how the SNP and Momentum fanboys roll if you want to see real bile and venom.

Yeh the Telegraph contributors are worse.
    There most be some massive cunts in there then but I'll take your word for it.
    Woah. Has BR switched off the Cbeebies level swear filter? 🥳
    It doesn't catch plurals.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pinno said:

Usual lies, but a more muted performance. The button probably helped Trump.
  • swjohnsey
    swjohnsey Posts: 263
    Turns out I have English heritage, at least the name, anyway. Found relatives around Portsmouth. Family lore was that we were Welsh. I actually got to spend some time in the U.K. Mendenhall, Grimsby. I managed to earn British jump wing, even got a jump from one or your hydrogen balloons. Pretty sure I've been someplace in the U.K. you haven't, to the top of the Westminster clock tower to stand beside Big Ben as it struck noon.

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited October 2020
    pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

nickice said:

elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

I think it's also worth mentioning that it's the Republicans who are banking on / courting the evangelical / christian right of the US and their supposed family / moral values.

Then again, the evangelicals seem to be able to hold their nose and vote for Trump in spite of his misdemeanors so long as he gets rid of Obama-care, hammers migrants and gets right wingers on the SC.

Evangelical christians seem to be about as unchristian as possible in their attitudes to most things.
    Yes. Mr and Mrs Nicebutcunt and their several lovely children.
    Not that it offends me particularly if you want to have a go at Christians, but I wonder what the reaction would've been in here if you'd made similar comments in reference to a Muslim family?
    Moderate Muslims or extremists, there is a difference. I have no problem with Muslims, I do have a problem with extremists.
    Sure, but the point I'm making is that it's open season on Christianity but not so much with Islam. When did you last hear a joke about Islam on the Tele?
    I'm pretty sure the character of Borat is Muslim.
    He's not. "He follows the Hawk"
    Ok, but he does take the piss out of Kazakhstan, a predominantly muslim country and converts his village of muslims to christianity or apostasy. So definitely not afraid to take the piss out of islam...in a fairly major film.
    The concept of Borat being a major film, and one to be taken seriously at that, is quite simply hilarious!
    Of course not to be taken seriously, but the first film made $262m at the box office. That puts it in the "major" film category easily

It's also very much "culturally" on the map - everyone knows what a mankini is now!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

I think if I claimed my family originated from Montana, I would probably have an inkling of where that was.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    elbowloh said:

pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

nickice said:

elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

I think it's also worth mentioning that it's the Republicans who are banking on / courting the evangelical / christian right of the US and their supposed family / moral values.

Then again, the evangelicals seem to be able to hold their nose and vote for Trump in spite of his misdemeanors so long as he gets rid of Obama-care, hammers migrants and gets right wingers on the SC.

Evangelical christians seem to be about as unchristian as possible in their attitudes to most things.
    Yes. Mr and Mrs Nicebutcunt and their several lovely children.
    Not that it offends me particularly if you want to have a go at Christians, but I wonder what the reaction would've been in here if you'd made similar comments in reference to a Muslim family?
    Moderate Muslims or extremists, there is a difference. I have no problem with Muslims, I do have a problem with extremists.
    Sure, but the point I'm making is that it's open season on Christianity but not so much with Islam. When did you last hear a joke about Islam on the Tele?
    I'm pretty sure the character of Borat is Muslim.
    He's not. "He follows the Hawk"
    Ok, but he does take the piss out of Kazakhstan, a predominantly muslim country and converts his village of muslims to christianity or apostasy. So definitely not afraid to take the piss out of islam...in a fairly major film.
    The concept of Borat being a major film, and one to be taken seriously at that, is quite simply hilarious!
    Of course not to be taken seriously, but the first film made $262m at the box office. That puts it in the "major" film category easily

It's also very much "culturally" on the map - everyone knows what a mankini is now!
    Yes, bib shorts for very hot weather...
  • First.Aspect

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

True. I missed that bit which does change things a bit. In general though I find the argument " Americans are so stupid " to be, well, stupid
    Stupid isn't the same as ignorant.

I've spent a lot of time in the US over the years and it is a complex, fascinating and often disturbing society. But one thing it is not is a society that looks outwardly.

So the comment about not knowing (or caring?) who the prime minister of the UK is misses the point that not only does the UK media fixate on US politics but also on other politics that matters to it.

So the attitude seems to be that nowhere else matters to Americans. Not sure that is a good thing in the long run, even for Americans.
  • swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

To be slightly fair to us, that's more like asking someone to find a region in Scotland: most US states are weird shapes arbitrarily carved out of a fairly distinctively-shaped landmass. Scotland is fairly distinctively shaped landmass, with a big clue that it's the other side of the Atlantic from the US, and is surrounded on most of its boarder by wet blue stuff.
    Americans are no thicker than Brits they just know different stuff.

How many Brits could find Belgium on a map or name their premier?
  • TheBigBean
    edited October 2020

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

To be slightly fair to us, that's more like asking someone to find a region in Scotland: most US states are weird shapes arbitrarily carved out of a fairly distinctively-shaped landmass. Scotland is fairly distinctively shaped landmass, with a big clue that it's the other side of the Atlantic from the US, and is surrounded on most of its boarder by wet blue stuff.
    Americans are no thicker than Brits they just know different stuff.

How many Brits could find Belgium on a map or name their premier?
    My old boss used the line "Who can name five famous Belgians?" . Silly thing to ask a cycling fan. I then made the point that most people wouldn't be able to name five famous British artists. He was outraged by that suggestion although he is the sort of person who probably has a genuine Constable in his living room.
  • TheBigBean

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

I've spent a lot of time in the US over the years and it is a complex, fascinating and often disturbing society. But one thing it is not is a society that looks outwardly.

So the comment about not knowing (or caring?) who the prime minister of the UK is misses the point that not only does the UK media fixate on US politics but also on other politics that matters to it.

So the attitude seems to be that nowhere else matters to Americans. Not sure that is a good thing in the long run, even for Americans.
    Happy to make the same statement about ignorance - the idea that Americans are ignorant is an ignorant opinion.

Yes, the UK media has a bizare obsession with the US, but that simply means it is ignoring other subjects.

• pblakeney
    Simply put - US politics affect the UK.
    UK politics do not affect the US.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

Happy to make the same statement about ignorance - the idea that Americans are ignorant is an ignorant opinion.

Yes, the UK media has a bizare obsession with the US, but that simply means it is ignoring other subjects.

Not exclusive to the UK.
  • First.Aspect

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

Culturally introspective, then. You know what I am driving at. The US is a nation that flies its own flag in its own country and sings its own national anthem to itself at sporting events that only it plays, and pats itself on the back rather a lot.

All nations are rather self interested. It is just a bit more pronounced in the US in my experience.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,925

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

Meh, my experience in California was that most knew what Brexit was and wanted conversations about it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

See there's always something people can agree on. There's hope for the world yet!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

I've got pretty good at it thanks to Sporcle. I still struggle with the little north eastern States and some of the Mid West though.
  • TheBigBean

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

Culturally introspective, then. You know what I am driving at. The US is a nation that flies its own flag in its own country and sings its own national anthem to itself at sporting events that only it plays, and pats itself on the back rather a lot.

All nations are rather self interested. It is just a bit more pronounced in the US in my experience.
    Do you think the populations of Iceland and Ireland have better knowledge of the UK than the UK's population does of them? If so, why do you think that is?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,316

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

Do you think the populations of Iceland and Ireland have better knowledge of the UK than the UK's population does of them? If so, why do you think that is?
    Yes. Hard to be objective though. Television series production?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean
    pangolin said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

Yes. Hard to be objective though. Television series production?
    It's the same with all small / big country relationships all over the world. The politics/TV/whatever of the big country has much greater impact on the smaller country than the other way around.
  • First.Aspect

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

I can find both of them on a map.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited October 2020
    shortfall said:

I don't have any skin in the game here, I'm just someone who watches on bemused at the state of American politics, but I haven't seen the clip in question yet (have any of you?) and is it beyond the bounds of possibility that some crafty editing has been used to make this look like more than it is? Yeah Giuliani is fair game I suppose and it's not inconceivable that he's a dirty old man but at least let's see the movie before passing judgement. It couldn't be that just because he's a Republican some of you want him to become damaged goods could it?

So I just watched the film and it's pretty bad. There are a handful of laugh out loud moments but most of the set ups don't really work and feel very contrived. The whole Giuliani scene where he is interviewed by Borat's daughter is pretty lame and the hands down the trousers clip fails to make him look like a sex pest if that was the intention. True enough he doesn't come out of the whole thing looking like a statesman but it's not going to damage him much such is the state of US politics. The original Borat movie was sublime, this is just a very bad sequel from a guy who's ran out of original ideas.
  • shortfall said:

shortfall said:

I don't have any skin in the game here, I'm just someone who watches on bemused at the state of American politics, but I haven't seen the clip in question yet (have any of you?) and is it beyond the bounds of possibility that some crafty editing has been used to make this look like more than it is? Yeah Giuliani is fair game I suppose and it's not inconceivable that he's a dirty old man but at least let's see the movie before passing judgement. It couldn't be that just because he's a Republican some of you want him to become damaged goods could it?

So I just watched the film and it's pretty bad. There are a handful of laugh out loud moments but most of the set ups don't really work and feel very contrived. The whole Giuliani scene where he is interviewed by Borat's daughter is pretty lame and the hands down the trousers clip fails to make him look like a sex pest if that was the intention. True enough he doesn't come out of the whole thing looking like a statesman but it's not going to damage him much such is the state of US politics. The original Borat movie was sublime, this is just a very bad sequel from a guy who's ran out of original ideas.
    A sequel was never going to work but he has had a great run. Even brothers grimsby had some great scenes. Hiding in an elephants uterus while it gets gang banged.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

A sequel was never going to work but he has had a great run. Even brothers grimsby had some great scenes. Hiding in an elephants uterus while it gets gang banged.
    Lol, true.
  • swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

I think you underestimate the size of USA, your comparison should be with Europe. How many Brits could identify on a map every country in Europe? Now let’s name the leaders of nearby countries like Turkey and Egypt or go for some biggies far away like Japan.

Now try asking a Brit when the civil war was (British or American) to within 50 years, or ask them the date of Pearl Harbour, or to give a brief explanation of the significance of the Battle of Midway.

Maybe rather than ignorance they just learn different stuff.

Try telling a Frenchman that Brits are so insular that they will not have heard of Verdun and he won’t believe you.