Donald Trump

Comments

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

elbowloh said:

I think it's also worth mentioning that it's the Republicans who are banking on / courting the evangelical / christian right of the US and their supposed family / moral values.

Then again, the evangelicals seem to be able to hold their nose and vote for Trump in spite of his misdemeanors so long as he gets rid of Obama-care, hammers migrants and gets right wingers on the SC.

Evangelical christians seem to be about as unchristian as possible in their attitudes to most things.
    Yes. Mr and Mrs Nicebutcunt and their several lovely children.
    Not that it offends me particularly if you want to have a go at Christians, but I wonder what the reaction would've been in here if you'd made similar comments in reference to a Muslim family?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,319
    shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

I think it's also worth mentioning that it's the Republicans who are banking on / courting the evangelical / christian right of the US and their supposed family / moral values.

Then again, the evangelicals seem to be able to hold their nose and vote for Trump in spite of his misdemeanors so long as he gets rid of Obama-care, hammers migrants and gets right wingers on the SC.

Evangelical christians seem to be about as unchristian as possible in their attitudes to most things.
    Not that it offends me particularly if you want to have a go at Christians, but I wonder what the reaction would've been in here if you'd made similar comments in reference to a Muslim family?
    Moderate Muslims or extremists, there is a difference. I have no problem with Muslims, I do have a problem with extremists.
  • shortfall
    edited October 2020

shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

Moderate Muslims or extremists, there is a difference. I have no problem with Muslims, I do have a problem with extremists.
    Sure, but the point I'm making is that it's open season on Christianity but not so much with Islam. When did you last hear a joke about Islam on the Tele?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    edited October 2020
    shortfall said:

shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

Sure, but the point I'm making is that it's open season on Christianity but not so much with Islam. When did you last hear a joke about Islam on the Tele?
    I'm struggling to generate remorse. I have an open issue with anyone who imposes their religious view on anyone else. It is as offensive to me as an atheist rocking up to a church and saying "I don't believe in cumulous orbiting omnipotence. Whatdya think vicar? Here, I've got a pamphlet on science for ya."

The problem with expressing any such views about another religion is political correctness.

And, frankly, since we still live in a vaguely Christian country, somehow you only ever appear to encounter Christians who are as presumptuous as to broadcast their faith in the way that evangelicals do.

By the same token one might hope that the broader Christian community might be progressive enough to tolerate criticism of fringe elements.

That okay with you?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    shortfall said:

shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

I'm pretty sure the character of Borat is Muslim.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

I don't think he's explicitly Muslim, but he certainly makes fun of some Muslim tropes. Makes fun of Jews a lot in both films too.

But yeah, poor Rudy. Poor, poor Rudy.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

He's not. "He follows the Hawk"
  • swjohnsey
    swjohnsey Posts: 263

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

More embarrassing should be that he says the virus was manufactured in China and released.

Except that he didn't say that. What China did was to brutally shut down their own country without shutting down international travel.

Is that Trump?
    No, it's Giuliani. Have you not been paying attention?
    Did I get in the Giuliani thread by mistake?
  • swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

More embarrassing should be that he says the virus was manufactured in China and released.

Except that he didn't say that. What China did was to brutally shut down their own country without shutting down international travel.

Is that Trump?
    I'll take that as a no. It was Giuliani, trump's lawyer, you know the guy the last few pages have been about how he did something embarrassing?

He said that thing.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    Donald Trump is dumb. Plain as. He says he is up against the worst opposition, ever.
    If he beats the worst opposition ever, so what?
    If he loses to the worst opposition ever, then what does that make him?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Watched a clip of the Giuliani bit - can't really see the problem - I'm assuming he doesn't think she's 15 of course.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    nickice said:

elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

Ok, but he does take the piss out of Kazakhstan, a predominantly muslim country and converts his village of muslims to christianity or apostasy. So definitely not afraid to take the piss out of islam...in a fairly major film.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    edited October 2020
    elbowloh said:

nickice said:

elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

Ok, but he does take the piss out of Kazakhstan, a predominantly muslim country and converts his village of muslims to christianity or apostasy. So definitely not afraid to take the piss out of islam...in a fairly major film.
    The concept of Borat being a major film, and one to be taken seriously at that, is quite simply hilarious!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?
    You’ve arrived on a cycling forum by mistake
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

Is there a sockpuppet in here?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,906
    Ben6899 said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

It's a sure way to get a response in here: favour Trump, Brexit, Covid-scepticism, etc., though the Cake Stop characters are soft in comparison with the below-the-line commenters in the Telegraph: the responses to this article about Marcus Rashford in the Telegraph demonstrates what happens when people try to outdo each other in their vitriol in demeaning an act of thought for others less fortunate. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/respect-marcus-rashford-grows-deeper-day/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    edited October 2020
    Rashford is a boy done good and has more money then more or less anyone his age so people can’t stick the “jealous” tag on him and he literally puts his money where his mouth is on this.

The usual attack lines don’t work here
  • briantrumpet

Rashford is a boy done good and has more money then more or less anyone his age so people can’t stick the “jealous” tag on him and he literally puts his money where his mouth is on this.

The usual attack lines don’t work here

Doesn't stop people trying. Remember, facts don't matter.
  • swjohnsey
    swjohnsey Posts: 263

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?
    Not really. See, I bought this old Brompton and I am in the process of stripping it down to fit in the back of my airplane. It is an early 2000s H5R and I plan to get rid of the rack and fenders, put S bars on it and update it some with a cheap China hollow crank. I've been a bike guy off and on for over 50 years, started out on a Raleigh Competition in the '70 then got interested in mountain bikes and bought one of the first, a Ritchey Commando, came as a box of parts, nothing built but the wheels . . .

I always wondered about the foreign interest in Trump. Most Americans couldn't tell you who the British PM is.
  • Ben6899
    swjohnsey said:

Most Americans couldn't tell you who the British PM is.

Most Americans couldn't tell you much about anything outside of the US. It's a sad state of affairs.

Must be a small aeroplane, if you need to strip down a Brompton to make it fit.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • Ben6899
    edited October 2020

Ben6899 said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

It's a sure way to get a response in here: favour Trump, Brexit, Covid-scepticism, etc., though the Cake Stop characters are soft in comparison with the below-the-line commenters in the Telegraph: the responses to this article about Marcus Rashford in the Telegraph demonstrates what happens when people try to outdo each other in their vitriol in demeaning an act of thought for others less fortunate. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/respect-marcus-rashford-grows-deeper-day/

Telegraph BTL contributors are the absolute worst people.
    Ben

• swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?
    Not really. See, I bought this old Brompton and I am in the process of stripping it down to fit in the back of my airplane. It is an early 2000s H5R and I plan to get rid of the rack and fenders, put S bars on it and update it some with a cheap China hollow crank. I've been a bike guy off and on for over 50 years, started out on a Raleigh Competition in the '70 then got interested in mountain bikes and bought one of the first, a Ritchey Commando, came as a box of parts, nothing built but the wheels . . .

I always wondered about the foreign interest in Trump. Most Americans couldn't tell you who the British PM is.
    We get quite a lot of American comedies over here.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

We get quite a lot of American comedies over here.
    That's a slightly strange thing to call Dennis, Johnsey etc
  • shortfall
    Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

Oh I don't know. Get yourself over to Twitter and see how the SNP and Momentum fanboys roll if you want to see real bile and venom.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

I think there was a poll of US public claiming Scottish heritage a few years ago that found about 20% could actually find Scotland on a map. I've never understood why Americans (a term other Americans across the rest of those two continents find offensive by the way) wear ignorance as a badge of honour.
  • Ben6899
    shortfall said:

Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

Oh I don't know. Get yourself over to Twitter and see how the SNP and Momentum fanboys roll if you want to see real bile and venom.

Yeh the Telegraph contributors are worse.
    Ben

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,619

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

I think there was a poll of US public claiming Scottish heritage a few years ago that found about 20% could actually find Scotland on a map. I've never understood why Americans (a term other Americans across the rest of those two continents find offensive by the way) wear ignorance as a badge of honour.
    Most Europeans wouldn't be able to find a US state of similar population on a map either.
  • swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

Most Europeans wouldn't be able to find a US state of similar population on a map either.
    I think the key bit there is "of Scottish heritage"
  • briantrumpet

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

To be slightly fair to us, that's more like asking someone to find a region in Scotland: most US states are weird shapes arbitrarily carved out of a fairly distinctively-shaped landmass. Scotland is fairly distinctively shaped landmass, with a big clue that it's the other side of the Atlantic from the US, and is surrounded on most of its boarder by wet blue stuff.
  • shortfall
    Ben6899 said:

shortfall said:

Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

swjohnsey said:

Is that Trump?

Yeh the Telegraph contributors are worse.
    There most be some massive cunts in there then but I'll take your word for it.