2019 Pro Race Gear

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    The direct drive thing looks like it would seriously mash up your leg in a crash
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    This might appear in Tour de France 2038 but not anytime soon

Direct drive 13 speed

CeramicSpeed_Driven_01-800x533.jpg

ceramicspeed-concept-drivetrain-with-13-speed-shaft-driven-flat-cassette02.jpg

That does look a brilliant new idea, efficient (true chain line) with potential of larger cassettes (but not cassettes). It took a look at another photo on BR to work it out, grab my attention.

Now for lots of tests to check the reliability (if it gets slightly bent..), also aero dynamics. It would be handy to grate some cheese with too for afters pasta.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,765
    Heavy, no?
  • FocusZing
    I don't know? Aluminum/titanium cassette* and Carbon rod. UCI limit for Pros.

No weight of a chain either.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    The inside face of the cassette could be the brake disc surface... Saving further weight.
    Half man, Half bike
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Chava's bike for the tour

Dhky7mSXcAA7HJc.jpg:large

It was looking mighty fine in all the tv coverage when he was out front for hours yesterday
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    With all the noise about disk rotors being dangerous, can you imagine what the UCI would say about the cheese grater on that thing ?!?!?!?!?

I do like a bit of innovation though, and reading the blurb they believe it has eradicated almost all of the ineffectiveness of a chain.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Ridgerider wrote:
    The inside face of the cassette could be the brake disc surface... Saving further weight.
    You couldn't have one sided braking like that, it would mean applying pressure to only one side of the cassette which would mean it would need to be very strong to avoid warping. Thus adding a lot of weight...

It would also apply a lateral force to the axle, which might be an issue.
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:
    You couldn't have one sided braking like that, it would mean applying pressure to only one side of the cassette which would mean it would need to be very strong to avoid warping. Thus adding a lot of weight...

It would also apply a lateral force to the axle, which might be an issue.
    I guess you could extend the surface beyond the outer tooth ring and use that.
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    The direct drive thing looks like it would seriously mash up your leg in a crash
    Looks like it might be a fairly natural development to have a protective cover.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    With all the noise about disk rotors being dangerous, can you imagine what the UCI would say about the cheese grater on that thing ?!?!?!?!?

I do like a bit of innovation though, and reading the blurb they believe it has eradicated almost all of the ineffectiveness of a chain.
    I think safely is the least if their problems. A carbon cover would be an easy fix and be way cleaner than a conventional set up
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,765
    It’s not innovation, it’s rehashing an old idea.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,566
    Bearing in mind they want £400 or so for some jockey wheels I can't even begin to think what this would cost.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • FocusZing
    If It proves to be reliable and viable. Then it won't be long until other manufacturers release their interpretations driving down cost.
  • inseine
    It’s not innovation, it’s rehashing an old idea.
    Like most things if you really think about it. Doesn’t make it not interesting. I may be completing nonsense for other reasons, but I doubt any one has ever posted a bike on here that’s a real innovation.
  • gweeds
    Patented surely?
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • FocusZing
    Sure, but like I said their interpretation.
  • inseine
    Anyway, Rapha slides .....50 euros or 4.99 from Decathlon. I’m sure someone will find a photo
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    inseine wrote:
    Anyway, Rapha slides .....50 euros or 4.99 from Decathlon. I’m sure someone will find a photo

The sad thing is people will actually buy them. The upside is that they make it very easy to trip up walking down stairs
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    inseine wrote:

As Manuel would say "que"
  • gweeds
    Oh Rapha

I can buy pointless plastic shoes, but I can't buy a white jersey in the middle of summer.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Gweeds wrote:
    Oh Rapha

I can buy pointless plastic shoes, but I can't buy a white jersey in the middle of summer.

Or a pair of lightweight black gloves in X-Small.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • gweeds
    Or a pair of lightweight black gloves in X-Small.

:roll:
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Is there a link or resource to team kits and helmets etc. anywhere?
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • FocusZing
    20160701191544_64288.jpg
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    inseine wrote:

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/slides/product/SLI02XX

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mens-pool-s ... 84324.html
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    inseine wrote:

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/slides/product/SLI02XX

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mens-pool-s ... 84324.html
    Or free from a hotel
  • FocusZing
    12-UAE010p-web-1-1024x683.jpg
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Definitely making waves. Maybe we will see this sooner than I thought.

DhqlfHlXkAExpjv.jpg
  • FocusZing
    Really is interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgo-yEaXDzA

Makes some good points. Sagan needs to test it when ready:)
  • inseine
    FocusZing wrote:
    Really is interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgo-yEaXDzA

Makes some good points. Sagan needs to test it when ready:)

Really interesting. I think the last few % of industrialization are going to take a lot or time and effort, and it makes a hell of a racket.