Full susp for £1k - £1.5k

Comments

• Thanks.

Do you think 14.5kg is too heavy, for trail centre riding? Would i regret not spending more for a lower weight?
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    Thanks.

Do you think 14.5kg is too heavy, for trail centre riding? Would i regret not spending more for a lower weight?

I think you can always spend more and get something better.

I also think budgets for these things can be stretched, and normally are.

I’m going to point you in the direction of that Vitus again. It’s one of the best value bikes I’ve ever seen. If you dont want to spend the £1300 on that, then buy the Calibre.

The Jamis Dakar A2 is another cheaper option.

Look at final payments for the bike 2 work. After the 12 months, to keep the bike you have to make a ‘small’ payment I believe.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • jamski wrote:
    Thanks.

I think you can always spend more and get something better.

I also think budgets for these things can be stretched, and normally are.

I’m going to point you in the direction of that Vitus again. It’s one of the best value bikes I’ve ever seen. If you dont want to spend the £1300 on that, then buy the Calibre.

The Jamis Dakar A2 is another cheaper option.

Look at final payments for the bike 2 work. After the 12 months, to keep the bike you have to make a ‘small’ payment I believe.

I agree the Vitus looks very good. Interestingly it is half inch smaller on the frame but has 20mm more top tube length. It also weighs 14.5kg which gives me a bit of confidence that that is an ok weight.

The cycle scheme final payment would be £70 making the total Id pay for the Bossnut around £750. Max voucher value is £1000 so i dont know if i could put the difference to the vitus, or even if chain reaction do cycle scheme so back to full price if they dont.

The vitus is described as an enduro bike though, 66 degree head angle and 150mm/140mm travel. Im still worried im gonna struggle to ride it on anything thats not a descent?
  • jamski
    You have a 46tooth cassette and 32t chainring on the Vitus. Compared to the Sram Eagle with it's 50 tooth and 34t chainring, the climbing gear is pretty much the same. I just went round Swinley on the Aeris 145 (145/150mm suspension) no problem at all. Different bikes I know, but you will be fine, and I would say the bike will last you longer.

Having said that I've just spent a lot of money on a Bird Aeris 120 (120/130) and it will do pretty much anything I want.

Perhaps, as you're not sure right now, you buy the cheapest you can (Calibre), have fun and learn on it, then in a couple of years you'll be in a position for the next step up.
  • Yeah its so tough looking for a do it all bike and not getting too glary eyed at the next spec up.

Cannock will be my regular ride but ill make a trip over to degla occasionally, forest of dean, hopton. ive done all those om my xc hardtail with basic 100mm forks so i know any full suss will be fine.

The problem comes when wanting to make a slight step up in skills. ive been looking at BPW and would like to try the blues and learn/build up to some of the reds. But this will be a once maybe twice per year outing.

I want to get quicker and braver on the descents on all my trails, and be braver over tabletop jumps and drop offs. But i dont want to be knackered half way round or have to push up climbs eg the cannock climb just after the road, by the pumping station, at the start of the monkey.
  • tallpaul_s
    tallpaul_s Posts: 130
    140/150mm travel is the sweet spot for trail bikes IMO, and don't worry about weight - I weighed my XL escarpe (the one you're considering) and it is just over 15kg as stock with a 400g set of pedals, that's 33lbs. It climbs perfectly fine, hardly any pedal bob either. I use it to ride to work and back, 4 miles per day - mostly tarmac.

Haven't been on a proper off road ride yet, hopefully I'll get out this weekend or one evening.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    You can do BPW on any of the bikes you have already mentioned. All the bikes you have mentioned are very good bikes, work out what your budget is and go buy one. The Jamis, Bossnut and Vitus are all 10/10 bikes in the price category so it just comes down to price.
  • guys which is the better fork. a recon RL or a sektor silver? both 130mm travel.

also just coming back to sizing again. if i search on sizing im finding a hell of alot of people plumping for large or even XL frames despite being 6 foot or 6'2". 6'2" is only 3.5" taller than me yet these guys are buying the XL frames and im leaning to medium. its quite confusing.

im still concerned about weight. just looked at the boardman pro fs and its 13kg, 1.5kg lighter than the bossnut evo. less aggressive head angle but still 140mm travel pike fork up front and 130mm rear. i just remember a few years back i fitted continental rubber queen tyres in 2.4" to my hardtail and could hardly ride the bike up hills. worried about spending a grand and getting the same thing happen.
  • jamski
    I'd say Recon is better, not 100% sure but they're a decent fork.

As for size, there's only one thing to do, and that's try them for size. I'm 'normally' an 18" medium. The Bird I've just got comes in a 'medium long', which is great. I demoed a Marin Hawk Hill and for them I was a 19" large. Every bike, every brand, every model is different. So find people who are your height, and ride the exact bike you want to see what they're riding. Don't compare to different bikes, it's pointless.

Weight, you're now looking at more expensive bikes again. It's like comparing a VW Polo to a Ferrari and saying the Ferrari is faster. If you want a lighter bike, pay more. The Pro FS is a great bike, and if you can find one in your size (I rode an 18" medium) and can stretch to that price it's a cracking spec. The Pike fork alone makes it worth the extra! Lock out on the shock, really good bike.

I dragged a 150mm bike around Swinley on triple compound tyres running stupidly low tubeless pressures. These bikes are all built to climb these days. I know what it's like though, I've had 7 months of thinking before buying the Bird, which hopefully I pick up today!!!! :D
  • danlightbulb
    danlightbulb Posts: 701
    The Boardman pro Fs is £1350 at halfords so similar to the vitus escarpe vr at the sale price but £350 more than the bossnut evo. +/- £350 i can handle IF its the right thing to do. Problem is that i dont think i can spend my cyclescheme voucher in halfords so would need another way of getting hold of the Boardman.

Both Vitus and Bossnut are 14.5kg.

The vitus has a slightly slacker angle and a longer travel, plus slightly better components for the same weight.

But the bossnut is cheaper and still very robustly built.

BUT the boardman is a fair bit lighter, still has great travel and better fork (pike is a step up right?) but with not quite as slack geometry as the others is probably more trail focussed. I would need to add dropper post pushing price to near £1500.
  • danlightbulb
    oh hang on something is happening. boardman website has the pro fs at 14.2kg but its down as 13kg on halfords. thats quite a difference.

can anyone validate please?
  • joebristol
    joebristol Posts: 327
    I probably wouldn’t get too hung up on weight and too slack geometry with the bikes you are looking at.

I run a 2004 Kona Caldera which is quite short and steep and I also have a Bird Aeris 145 LT which is 160mm travel at both ends and is long and slack. The Aeris climbs better on a lot of stuff then the hardtail when you look at Strava times. I think this is helped by bigger wheels / better grip on bumpy climbs and having a nice stretched top tube keeps the front wheel on the ground on steep climbs. I’d say it’s probably about 5 lbs heavier than the Kona - but even on flat ish trails around Bristol I can’t get close to the Aeris times on the Kona.

If I were looking at the £1000 mark I think I’d be lookin at the Bossnut or that new Jamis potentially. I had a Boardman Pro FS before which I liked a lot - but recently had a quick go on a Boardman Team Fs and it felt very short / high at the front and quite retro.

The Bossnut is probably a good compromise position - it’s not extremely long and slack but it’s also not short and steep. The reviews back that up - and over time if you wanted to you could probably quite easily lose a bit of weight off it.

The Vitus also looks nice to be fair. Can you stretch the budget - i.e. you’ll need to check if the shop you are looking at will allow you to add cash on top of he £100 voucher?
  • danlightbulb
    Joebristol wrote:
    I probably wouldn’t get too hung up on weight and too slack geometry with the bikes you are looking at.

I run a 2004 Kona Caldera which is quite short and steep and I also have a Bird Aeris 145 LT which is 160mm travel at both ends and is long and slack. The Aeris climbs better on a lot of stuff then the hardtail when you look at Strava times. I think this is helped by bigger wheels / better grip on bumpy climbs and having a nice stretched top tube keeps the front wheel on the ground on steep climbs. I’d say it’s probably about 5 lbs heavier than the Kona - but even on flat ish trails around Bristol I can’t get close to the Aeris times on the Kona.

If I were looking at the £1000 mark I think I’d be lookin at the Bossnut or that new Jamis potentially. I had a Boardman Pro FS before which I liked a lot - but recently had a quick go on a Boardman Team Fs and it felt very short / high at the front and quite retro.

The Bossnut is probably a good compromise position - it’s not extremely long and slack but it’s also not short and steep. The reviews back that up - and over time if you wanted to you could probably quite easily lose a bit of weight off it.

The Vitus also looks nice to be fair. Can you stretch the budget - i.e. you’ll need to check if the shop you are looking at will allow you to add cash on top of he £100 voucher?

Thanks.

Just a bit worried i guess going from xc oriented bike with 2.2" tyres to heavier bike with chunkier tyres, that i will struggle on it, especialy as im also giving up the granny ring for 1x11. i do sit and spin up hills usually.

Hence why the boardman seemed maybe a better choice but if its14.2kg rather than 13kg that takes away some of the benefit in my eyes, so i would want confirmation before i buy.

The vitus is clearly more of an enduro bike. its 20mm longer ETT, 0.8 degress slacker and has 150mm front travel. maybe that would be a step too far?
  • mark_fogel
    mark_fogel Posts: 158
    edited May 2018
    According to this review the Boardman is actually 13kg:
    https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/cate ... -fs-50371/

"Despite a burlier build kit for 2016, the Pro FS has refused to put on weight – our size large test bike tipped the scales at around 13kg. This lack of heft also makes for a generally nimble feel and means you’ll embrace rather than endure the climbs."

One thing to keep in mind though, the FS Pro is kinda old now - been around 2 years. I had the previous model Team and it was an excellent bike and loads of fun on the trail. Lively ride and pedalled well after I replaced the basic shock. The new PRO is a much better bike however is it due to be replaced at any time now so could be discounted heavily by Halfords. Have a look on the Boardman Facebook group and ask if anyone knows when the new range is being released. You might save yourself some money.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Dont trust any of the weights you read online. They all lie. Useful as a general guide but dont expect them to be accurate. They will also be for a certain size bike and if you buy a different size obviously the weight will be different.

Until you have ridden a full sus on proper rides, you probably wont know what you want from such a bike anyway. I think the prudent call would be to get the Bossnut, ride it for a couple of years and then ask yourself if there is anything you would want to change - if there is then you will know what you are looking for in a replacement, having invested less up front on what could become an 'interim' bike (whichever one you choose now).
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    New Boardman bikes are coming out NOW. You may have seen the weight on their website for the new range and be looking at the old bike on the Halfords website?
  • danlightbulb
    Ah this is the new one.

http://www.cyclerepublic.com/catalog/pr ... tegory/12/

seems to be 14kg and quite similar in geometry to the bossnut, ever so slightly longer though.

Hows the spec on this one compare? its a bit higher than i wanted to spend though.
  • mark_fogel
    apreading wrote:
    Dont trust any of the weights you read online. They all lie. Useful as a general guide but dont expect them to be accurate. They will also be for a certain size bike and if you buy a different size obviously the weight will be different.

Until you have ridden a full sus on proper rides, you probably wont know what you want from such a bike anyway. I think the prudent call would be to get the Bossnut, ride it for a couple of years and then ask yourself if there is anything you would want to change - if there is then you will know what you are looking for in a replacement, having invested less up front on what could become an 'interim' bike (whichever one you choose now).

I do like the Bossnut, everything about it screams "buy me" apart from the shock which does not have "pedal/climb" mode. I had a Boardman Team with the same shock and I found myself bobbing on climbs which slowed me down somewhat. I ended up upgrading the shock to resolve the issue. It was the bike on which I learnt the most and I knew exactly what I wanted from my next bike when I was done with it. Rear suspension lockout / pedal / climb mode was a deal breaker for me which was the reason I did not buy the Bossnut in the end and ended up going for a 150mm Zesty AM. Perhaps Bossnut is not affected so much by suspension bob but its something to think about... might be worth trying it out in the carpark of the shop allows this. Personally I prefer the Vitus as its only a little more £££ with the 10% British Cycling Discount and comes with a dropper out of the box and a little more modern than the Boardman.
  • mark_fogel
    Ahh I did not realise that the new range is out... looks good but they seem to have down specced it a little.
  • danlightbulb
    Anyone know if there is a way to get halfords bikes eg the boardmans using a cyclescheme voucher?
  • danlightbulb
    Actually the new boardman doesnt have a dropper post for £1600 so thats beyond where i want to be, although the geo seems to be in the sweet spot. a touch longer than bossnut with a little extra travel, but not as enduro focussed as the vitus with its 150 travel and slacker angles.

think its back to bossnut vs vitus again. chain reaction confirmed i can put the extra but i wont get the voucher in time to get the sale price.
  • joebristol
    joebristol Posts: 327
    Joebristol wrote:

Thanks.

Just a bit worried i guess going from xc oriented bike with 2.2" tyres to heavier bike with chunkier tyres, that i will struggle on it, especialy as im also giving up the granny ring for 1x11. i do sit and spin up hills usually.

Hence why the boardman seemed maybe a better choice but if its14.2kg rather than 13kg that takes away some of the benefit in my eyes, so i would want confirmation before i buy.

The vitus is clearly more of an enduro bike. its 20mm longer ETT, 0.8 degress slacker and has 150mm front travel. maybe that would be a step too far?

Just on the gearing thing, my Boardman Pro fs was he previous model that had 2x10 - when I swapped it to 1x10 with a 32t chainring and 11-42 cassette I didn’t lose that easiest hill climbing gear.

When I’ve got the Bird on 1x11 I’ve gone for a 30t chainring with a 10-42 cassette - it gives a nice easy spinning gear for the steepest stuff but enough range at the other end.

I guess my Kona already has 2.4” f / 2.25” rear tyres with Mavic d521 rims - so not the lightest wheelsets ever. It does feel more instant and responsive than the Bird in the flat / uphill, but it doesn’t result in quicker times. I also feel more tired quicker riding the Kona as it’s more physical on bumps - the Aeris means I can ride longer without getting a sore lower back for example.
  • jamski
    Very good site for comparing gear ratios.

http://gears.mtbcrosscountry.com/#26I1I1
  • tallpaul_s
    tallpaul_s Posts: 130
    apreading wrote:

Also, weight isn't everything - it's just one factor in how a bike rides.

Case in point - I test rode, back to back, a Whyte S150 C-works and a T130 S.

The S150 is sub-30lbs, carbon wheels, 29er, and long and very slack. £5500
    The T130 is 31lbs+ (and you could feel it picking it up), heavier wheels, 27.5, not as slack. Half the price at £2750.

I much preferred the heavier, steeper HA 27.5 T130 S.

66-67 degree HA and 140mm rear travel is trail bike territory, not enduro. They're quite capable of being blatted along flat, straight birdleways, as they are winching up steep technical climbs, and they'll love being thrown down fast, rocky, rooty descents as fast as you dare :mrgreen:

I did 7 miles this evening on my 33lb heavyweight :wink: across generally flat bridleways. Was it painful? Hard? Nope! Perfectly good for this sort of riding, and when I got to a little descent with some chattery bumps it felt like it was barely stretching it's legs.
    40934073345_c16ab121d3_b.jpg
  • danlightbulb
    Its not the flat sections im worried about its the hills, switchback climbing and steep short climbs.

Ive read a couple reviews on the escarpe (a slightly older model) and they commented on its heaviness at 14.7kg.

What would i have to spend to get the same capability at a lighter weight? And what weight is classed as lightish, with these types of trail bikes?

edit - think what im asking is can i get something with the spec of the bossnut but shave a kg or a kg and a half off it, for a few hundred more?
  • mark_fogel
    Its not the flat sections im worried about its the hills, switchback climbing and steep short climbs.

Ive read a couple reviews on the escarpe (a slightly older model) and they commented on its heaviness at 14.7kg.

What would i have to spend to get the same capability at a lighter weight? And what weight is classed as lightish, with these types of trail bikes?

edit - think what im asking is can i get something with the spec of the bossnut but shave a kg or a kg and a half off it, for a few hundred more?

14kg is probably about average for the price as the frame itself is heavier. I wouldn't worry too much about the overall bike weight, research the wheels and tyres as rotating weight is where you would notice it most... I have a 14kg full susser with lightweight Mavic rims and Nobby Nic Evo tyres and it actually climbs better than my lighter 13kg hardtail which has no name rims and heavier lower spec tyres.
  • mark_fogel
    edited May 2018
    I might be wrong but I am getting the feeling that you might be quite into your XC and pedalling efficiency is key for you, am I right by saying this?
    If yes, do you really need an enduro/trail bike with 130-140mm travel? Every bike has its pros and cons... no one bike is a true all around weapon and will be compromised somewhere. My point is, Vitus / Bossnut might be too much bike for your riding as they are generally focused at going down rather than going up. If this is the case... perhaps look for something a little less travel, more efficient and lighter ie Cube Stereo 120 or Giant Stance. I had a Cube Stereo 120 29er for a year and was a very capable bike, may be a little boring in some sections because it felt like a magic carpet over bumps.. rolled over almost anything I just had to be aware that its only 120mm and avoid the bigger rocks/roots. 650b should be a good compromise but that's just a personal preference.
    BTW less travel doesn't mean less fun just requires more skill when things get tricky (-:
    Sorry if I misinterpreted, I thought I will just share my experience with full sussers.
  • danlightbulb
    Probably the issue is ive never riden a full suss so i have no idea what they are like. When i first started biking i wanted to spend £500 and so I got the rockrider 8.1 from decathlon which was basically the "if youre spending £500 then get this" bike. So i did and ive used it for 6 years.

Obviously cant afford to get a bike for every occasion. Trails i visit are a mix of everything. Climbs, singletrack, decents. I like recording my times on strava both up hill and down.

And finally i want a bike to build my skills, bigger drops, jumps, maybe building up to gap jumps one day who knows. At the moment i cant clear a tabletop - dont know anywhere local i can practice this :(

So im looking for a bike that will allow that skills progression whilst still allowing me to target a strava PR on a singletrack section or go on a longer ride from time to time.
  • jamski
    Why don't you try and demo spmething, even if it's not going to be what you buy, perhaps it will put your mind at rest. Try and find something similar, up to £1500 to buy new, and give it a go.
  • danlightbulb
    I was intending to hire something from swinnertons at cannock to try but the full sussers are quite expensive to hire and need a grand deposit down.

Is there any other way of demoing something that i dont know of?